Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 10:22 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,264,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
It wasnt stated before the election. Kirk Watson 'leaked' the $28 billion dollar number just this week.

"Whispers" That Budget Gap is $28 Billion | KUT News for Austin, Texas
Based on whispers...

I kinda hope it is true after reading that link though, it would be great to see the Austin bureaucrats have to get real jobs.

Quote:
This means that there are going to be significant layoffs of state employees, and a disproportionate percentage of these employees live in and around Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 11:41 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,766,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Based on whispers...

I kinda hope it is true after reading that link though, it would be great to see the Austin bureaucrats have to get real jobs.
Government isnt perfect obviously but these are real peoples lives who do real work you're talking about here. They face making property tax payments, mortgage payments, and finding a job in the worst economy since the Great Depression.
On a human level its going to be extremely tough on a lot of people and that is sad.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:49 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,075,985 times
What's up with all the Texas vs. California threads anyway? The two states are very dissimilar. Too many variables are unaccounted for to compare them in any meaningful way. I just don't understand all the animus.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:18 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,760,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Every time the OP attacks California it only brings more negative attention onto Texas and suggests pronounced inferiority issues. To compare the two states is laughable and as every poll on CD demonstrates, Texas gets no respect especially when its homers desperately attempt to put down one state in order to crudely built up Texas.
Don't even begin to go down that road, I am Texan and I was the first to reply to the thread and set the record straight from the beginning (see post 2).

California is still a wonderful state as I said in the beginning and the economic boom in Texas has nothing to do with Republicans or Perry.

Don't start a Texas vs California posters bash. I only know of one poster who regularly slams California cities, and I can point out many who actually praise California cities. I for one do, Danny is a major LA fan. On the other hand I can name many California posters who slam Texas for no reason. So don't start this inferiority bullcrap cause most of the posters who slam California in the Tx vs Cali threads are not even Texan

Old 11-17-2010, 10:19 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
Quote:
Every time the OP attacks California it only brings more negative attention onto Texas and suggests pronounced inferiority issues. To compare the two states is laughable and as every poll on CD demonstrates, Texas gets no respect especially when its homers desperately attempt to put down one state in order to crudely built up Texas.
You would be the one to talk and for starters; he's not even a Texan. Get over yourself with your superority complex. Always trying to talk down on Texans; you make it no better bringing negative attention onto California.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The constitution of the state of Texas does not allow any governor to mess up how Texas does it's business so in essence, Perry really has little to do with the boom of Texas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
More anti-California garbage from RenaudFR, what else is new.

I was very proud that California was swept by Democrats. We don't fall for anti-Obama rhetoric and we remember that the nation's economic problems began well before his administration.

And we certainly are NOT going to let corporations crap on their workers and the environment.

No, we simply didnt buy what Sarah Palin said, and Republicans have not proven themselves to be any better at running the government. I.E. GWB was an immense failure.

California is simply going through an economic downturn like the rest of the country, only much more pronounced because of the real estate mess and job losses. But very few states, is in a 'great' position right now.-even Texas has its own problems to deal with. All these doomsdayers really need to get a grip.

unless of course, they actually want California to fail, which is well, sorta sick.

I disagree with you two more often than I agree, but in this case I am gonna have to agree.

Texas just has things that make it weather this recession better, and California has lots of things that will make it bounce back once the economy swings back

Old 11-17-2010, 10:33 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,315,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Don't even begin to go down that road, I am Texan and I was the first to reply to the thread and set the record straight from the beginning (see post 2).

California is still a wonderful state as I said in the beginning and the economic boom in Texas has nothing to do with Republicans or Perry.

Don't start a Texas vs California posters bash. I only know of one poster who regularly slams California cities, and I can point out many who actually praise California cities. I for one do, Danny is a major LA fan. On the other hand I can name many California posters who slam Texas for no reason. So don't start this inferiority bullcrap cause most of the posters who slam California in the Tx vs Cali threads are not even Texan
I don't start the bashing. It always seems to come from Texans whether they actually live there or not. The OP attacks California as a way to promote Texas in numerous threads. And he is certainly not the only one. Texans regularly invade the California forum just to bash California while others [ie "Metro"] entitle threads like "California is dumber than I thought" etc. So if you don't want this kind of ugliness than I strongly suggest you look at your fellow Texans because there is a world of difference between the two states that should be enjoyed rather than as a way to attack each other.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:38 AM

9,095 posts, read 13,104,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Ahaha no it's not from me

In the future, historians may likely mark the 2010 midterm elections as the end of the California era and the beginning of the Texas one. In one stunning stroke, amid a national conservative tide, California voters essentially ratified a political and regulatory regime that has left much of the state unemployed and many others looking for the exits.
California has drifted far away from the place that John Gunther described in 1946 as “the most spectacular and most diversified American state … so ripe, golden.” Instead of a role model, California has become a cautionary tale of mismanagement of what by all rights should be the country’s most prosperous big state. Its poverty rate is at least two points above the national average; its unemployment rate nearly three points above the national average. On Friday Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger was forced yet again to call an emergency session in order to deal with the state’s enormous budget problems.

California Suggests Suicide; Texas Asks: Can I Lend You a Knife? | Newgeography.com

Very interesting article
My state is in a similar situation to California. We are going bankrupt and we reached a point that income taxes, school taxes, mass transit fares and the high cost of housing is making it unaffordable to live in New York.

Many people know that New York has to change it ways but there are many powerful vested interests who like the way things are now. We have a SMALL hope because our new governor, Andrew Cuomo, has talked about capping school tax increases at 2% annually. At least he sees part of the problem. But how far will or even CAN he go to reform the entire corrupt system?

The real question is whether Texas is going to make the same long-term mistakes that California and the NE states did.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I don't start the bashing. It always seems to come from Texans whether they actually live there or not. The OP attacks California as a way to promote Texas in numerous threads. And he is certainly not the only one. Texans regularly invade the California forum just to bash California while others [ie "Metro"] entitle threads like "California is dumber than I thought" etc. So if you don't want this kind of ugliness than I strongly suggest you look at your fellow Texans because there is a world of difference between the two states that should be enjoyed rather than as a way to attack each other.
I am not saying that you start it, I am saying don't go down the road here. The author of the article wrote a silly article, no need to make another TX vs CA bash fest

Old 11-17-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
My state is in a similar situation to California. We are going bankrupt and we reached a point that income taxes, school taxes, mass transit fares and the high cost of housing is making it unaffordable to live in New York.

Many people know that New York has to change it ways but there are many powerful vested interests who like the way things are now. We have a SMALL hope because our new governor, Andrew Cuomo, has talked about capping school tax increases at 2% annually. At least he sees part of the problem. But how far will or even CAN he go to reform the entire corrupt system?

The real question is whether Texas is going to make the same long-term mistakes that California and the NE states did.
I don't know, Texas businessmen have a huge sway on politics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City