U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 03:09 PM

673 posts, read 3,751,948 times

Advertisements

I was wondering will Ohio, Indiana and Michigan ever get their act together economically?

These states seem to be an economic free-fall, I was looking over the Bureau of Economic Statistics from May 2007 and its amazing year over year how few metropolitan are gaining jobs and those that are gaining very few and mostly less then one 1/2 percent job growth for the lucky ones.

Some of the ones such Flint, Dayton, Cleveland seem to be in economic free-fall just an economic free-fall and the latest census figures show population free-fall also.

While I think Dayton will likely become more stable over the next decade, do to Cincinnati which is doing well by regional standards and has one of the best infrastrastructure's in the nation. Also, Dayton seems to be trying to be innovative and have good location and is extra affordable/low housing value even by south-western Ohio standards.

On the other side Cleveland and Flint is there any end to this escalating economic and population decline the region is facing?

Anyway, Ohio and Michigan have some positives: They are very, very affordable; great infrastructure; still lots of cultural amenities; lots of large metropolitan areas with-in close distances; Ohio and Indiana have rather cheap energy; Also Michigan has Ann Arbor (University of Michigan) and Ohio has Columbus (Ohio State University).
Indiana seems to be slightly more stable but has its economically depressed areas, luckily Indianapolis seems to be almost sun-beltish economic growth wise compared to Ohio and Michigan. Even though I am not a fan of Indianapolis it seems to be doing something right economically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 03:42 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,389,357 times
Sooner or later they will rebound, its bound to happen. I have high hopes for those regions, theyre lovely, minus the job aspect.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:35 PM

66 posts, read 316,398 times
Flint's rebound will be what Wall Street calls the "dead cat bounce." Flint is gone and will never come back. The Midwest, and the rest of Michigan, will comeback eventually for the reason that all the great needs of life that sent explorers this way two hundred years ago will become quite obvious to the Lewis and Clark's of the twenty-first century. All the free space, natural beauty and wild life, fresh water, green grass and trees, everything that is going to cost a million bucks to some oily faced condo developer in the South, is going to be on the market for anyone who has more moxie than money.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:38 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,900,535 times
Missouri and Illinois aren't doing a whole lot better than these states either. The whole Midwest needs to get over the rustbelt and move on cause we are letting the South walk all over us right now.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:22 PM

147 posts, read 633,578 times
all dayton,ohio needs is a new mayor that can get dayton's act together

Old 07-09-2007, 06:45 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,777,665 times
I think that as the east coat gets more and more crowded and expensive (look at all of the people moving to North Carolina and Tn.!!!!) people are going to have no place to go but inland. I think population declines will continue in these areas for another 25 years, and then, once many people have been outpriced out of the eastern U.S,explosive growth will begin in Southern Ohio, and spread northward as the economy in the region suddenly booms. It's already happening on the west coast, with people moving into places like Utah and Idaho. The east coast will still grow, but mostly due to immigration, and I believe many Americans will move into the region, just as what happened in Florida over the past few years, except certainly without the promise of sunshine!!!

Old 07-09-2007, 07:56 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,777,665 times
I also think that in the meanwhile, the midwest needs legal immigration to keep the economy moving.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:10 PM

102 posts, read 415,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Sooner or later they will rebound, its bound to happen. I have high hopes for those regions, theyre lovely, minus the job aspect.
I can't think of one thing that is lovely about Indiana. Michigan and Ohio have a lot to offer but Indiana just seems like a bad place all around.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:28 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,864,128 times
I've never been a huge fan of Indiana, but the Dunes are quite nice. I've been there many times throughout the course of my life and quite like them.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:55 PM

86,985 posts, read 102,540,351 times
There is quite a lot of nice country in Indiana. Southern Indiana is hilly and wooded. There is Amish country in NE IN. The dunes are cool. Central IN is flat and planted in corn and soybeans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or