U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2010, 11:34 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,569,024 times

Advertisements

I can't speak for all Northern states, but Minnesota and Wisconsin are (and always have been) two of the most progressive states in the country. No history of segregation, no segregated schools, no anti-miscegenation laws, virtually no lynchings (one incident in Minnesota in the 1920s that was strongly condemned). Even today, the Minneapolis-St. Paul area remains fairly integrated with few ghettos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 12:33 AM

63 posts, read 80,726 times
In my opinion, forced integration by the government is just as bad as forced segregation. I believe the decision should be left up the the individual. As Clarence Thomas, a black man, pointed out, 50 yrs since desegregation in the South has resulted in no substantial improvement in education among Blacks. So apparently the benefits of integration are far fetched and used to justify one of the Federal govts many social engineering experiments. It is not the role of the government to participate in social engineering. In regards to Maryland. As a Southerner, from southeastern NC, I have been all over Maryland and yes, even today I view the eastern shore of MD as the South and these are my reasons why: it has more of a Southern feel; it is basically the same terrain as eastern VA; it is rural; buildings and churchs are constructed in Greek revival architecture which is a hallmark of Southern buildings. Also, as a Southerner I recognize Maryland as a Southern state because of history. Maryland intended on seceding and actually its population was more in favor of secession than the citizens of N.C. and TN. Maryland was robbed of the oppurtunity to secede when Lincoln, realizing D.C. would be landlocked by the Confederacy if Maryland seceded, ILLEGALY sent federal police to Maryland to round up all those in favor of secession and had them jailed. So essentially, Lincoln's position was that unless you agree with me than your right doesn't matter. He ILLEGALY superceded the will of the people of Maryland, and so for that reason I will always view Maryland as a Southern state under occupation and so should other Southerners.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:38 AM

1,645 posts, read 3,192,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I can't speak for all Northern states, but Minnesota and Wisconsin are (and always have been) two of the most progressive states in the country. No history of segregation, no segregated schools, no anti-miscegenation laws, virtually no lynchings (one incident in Minnesota in the 1920s that was strongly condemned). Even today, the Minneapolis-St. Paul area remains fairly integrated with few ghettos.
Minnesota and Wisconsin have nowhere near the black population size of the Southern and Mid-Atlantic states.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:00 AM

Exactly. That would be like segregating Russia lol Its pointless sense the overwhelming % of people are of one prime race. Maybe segregation of another form could be implemented i.e. religion, economic status. I gurantee you had Wisconsin or Minnesota had 50% black population such as the South things would have been much different. Just look at the riots that broke out when the Blacks migrated North, and this was just a small number of Blacks. To this day, 95% of the Northern Black population is confined to urban areas. Evidently the rural white northerners ran them out of their communities. This is just a guess lol I have spoken with Blacks up North and they tell me that the racism is worse up there than down South.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:19 AM

2,402 posts, read 3,580,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Seems like all of Massachusetts has moved to Atlanta, all you see is NY, MA, PA and NJ tags everyday.
Metro Atlanta contains areas where most people are Southern, and other areas where it's a mix.

Example:

Dekalb County: Mix
Gwinnett County: Mix
Forsyth County: Mix
Cobb County: Mix, but majority Southern
Cherokee County: Mix, but majority Southern
Paulding County: Mostly Southern, but some mix
Fulton County: Mix
Douglas County: Mostly Southern, but some mix
Hall County: Mostly Southern, but some mix
Rockdale County: Mix, but majority Southern
Newton County: Mix, but majority Southern
Henry County: Mix, but majority Southern
Clayton County: Mix, but majority Southern
Coweta County: Majority Southern, but some mix
Fayette County: Mix, but majority Southern (Peachtree City exception-mix)
Walton County: Majority Southern, but some mix
Pickens County: Completely Southern (of course, this is a rural county)
Carroll County: Majority Southern, but some mix

Mix = Only 40-55% southern
Mixed, but majority southern = 55%-75% Southern
Majority Southern, but some mix= 75% - 90% Southern
Completely Southern = 90% + southern

Of course, this isn't scientific, and it is based on my own observations.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:35 AM

2,402 posts, read 3,580,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I'm not sure if you live in NC, but I live in Charlotte which is undeniably Southern. Charlotteans will readily identify as being Southerns and transplants will admit that they live in the South. I'm not sure what you mean by NC is already dead.
Here's the way I feel North Carolina is, in terms of the majority of its residents:

Metro Charlotte: SOUTHERN (with some transplants)
Greensboro: SOUTHERN (with some transplants)
Winston-Salem: SOUTHERN (fewer transplants than Greensboro)
Durham: SOUTHERN (with some transplants)
Raleigh: Some hybrid these days
Raleigh burbs: Some of these seem downright northern.
Chapel Hill: Does not feel southern at all.
Hickory-Morganton: SOUTHERN
Asheville: SOUTHERN (with some transplants)
Fayetteville: SOUTHERN (with some transplants)
Rocky Mount: SOUTHERN
Greenville: SOUTHERN (with some transplants due to the college)
Wilmington: Hybrid

Smaller Cities:

Albemarle: Completely Southern (most southern decent-sized city in the state, in my opinion)
Asheboro: SOUTHERN
Salisbury: SOUTHERN
Burlington/Elon: SOUTHERN (with an ever-growing number of transplants)
Monroe (part of Charlotte area, but with its own identity): SOUTHERN

Old 11-23-2010, 08:45 AM

5,522 posts, read 12,289,371 times
Northwrners had the people and the wealth, while Southerners had the land and the warmth. It took the invention of A/C, Federal highway construction, and the Civil Rights era to allow the two to converge.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:32 AM

StarsAndStripes, I appreciate your insight, however I must slightly disagree in regards to your assesment of North Carolina. Generally speaking, the majority of transplants to NC populate the Piedmont region. This includes the Charlotte Metro, Triad(Winston-Salem, High Point, Greensboro), and the Triangle(Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill). Eastern NC has always been the most rural part of the state and still is. I find there to be way more Northerners in Greensboro as opposed to Raleigh. As far as Durham goes lol well it just goes lol I am from Eastern NC. Their is a difference in people in NC from Eastern, Piedmont, to Mountains. Folks in the eastern Piedmont down to the coast are much more like Deep South states. The central Piedmont, where all the main universities, are home to more "enlightened southerners". The folks in the Mountains are just in a class of their own lol Appalachia comes to mind.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:04 AM

2,705 posts, read 7,293,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just.a.good.ol.boy View Post
Haha. How original. All your stereotypical insults dont change that fact that millions have fled the rotted North in exchange for the South. That speaks for itself.
Um. Just a thought, but....have you given thought to the hoardes of people moving to the NYC area from all over the country and WORLD?

That number of people is many, many, many times greater than the number of people you have moving to North Carolina!

Old 11-23-2010, 10:23 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,128,820 times
NYC and Chicago have had massive black populations since WWI, yet no Jim Crow legal segregation in either place. Same with Detroit, Cleveland, and STL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.