U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2010, 01:47 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,128,007 times

Advertisements

Based on my personal experience, southerners are way more obsessed with "Yankees taking over their locale" than vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 02:21 PM

7,909 posts, read 12,167,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Not the only reason, but definitely part of the reason. Immigration also changed culture in the Northeast and Midwest 100 years ago or so and in the West as well. However, a big difference is that the cultural impact of immigrants in the Northeast and Midwest from 100 years ago is mostly seen within historic urban neighborhoods of the major cities of those regions, while in the South, the cultural impact of Northern/Midwestern migrants are largely relegated to sprawl outside of the city where most of them choose to settle.
Exactly...and it's one of the oddest things in relation to city-data. If you went by the general mood on this site, you would think Northeasterns would never live in the suburbs and use the term "sprawl" like it is synonymous with A.I.D.s or leprosy. In real life, when they do move to a big city in the South they are more than likely to live in the suburbs. Such is the case in the northern burbs of Atlanta that are dominated by former Northeasterners. Weird.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:48 PM

This is due to the inner cores of most southeastern cities being violent, run down, and with poor educational prospects.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:10 PM

2,402 posts, read 3,579,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Exactly...and it's one of the oddest things in relation to city-data. If you went by the general mood on this site, you would think Northeasterns would never live in the suburbs and use the term "sprawl" like it is synonymous with A.I.D.s or leprosy. In real life, when they do move to a big city in the South they are more than likely to live in the suburbs. Such is the case in the northern burbs of Atlanta that are dominated by former Northeasterners. Weird.
I wouldn't say northerners dominate the northside, but rather select northern suburbs.

For example, in the Woodstock/Holly Springs/Canton area of Cherokee County, southerners outnumber non-southerners by at least a 75-25 margin. On the other hand, hop on over into S. Forsyth, and you're dealing with a population that is roughly 50% non-southern. On the other hand, Roswell seems to have a slight southern majority, as does Milton, but Alpharetta is about 50/50, in my opinion, and John's Creek has a non-southern majority. Gwinnett County is about 55% southern, with the Buford/Sugar Hill area about 80% southern, while the Duluth/Suwanee area is about 50/50. Lawrenceville is around 60% southern, and places like Snellville and Grayson are anywhere from 60% to 70% southern. Lilburn, while closer in, is around 70% southern. Norcross, given its high international population, isn't very southern.

In Cobb County, it ranges from around 70% southern in the Kennesaw/Acworth area, to around only 50/50 in East Cobb. Most of the area in South Cobb is southern, around a 75-25 margin.

In places like Bartow County, more of an exurban/satellite area of Atlanta, considering the detached nature of Cartersville from the rest of the developed area, which starts at around Lake Allatoona, it's around 90% southern.

In Paulding County, which could be classified as both north and west metro, it's easily 80% + southern.

Intown varies. Seriously, I'd argue that the residential areas of Buckhead are fairly southern.

Of course, none of this is scientific, and I could be completely off, but I'm basing it off a combination of things experienced, read, and seen throughout the past.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:12 PM

2,402 posts, read 3,579,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
This is due to the inner cores of most southeastern cities being violent, run down, and with poor educational prospects.
Kind of like Chicago's southside, huh?

Old 11-23-2010, 03:27 PM

Part of the southside. There are several very wealthy black neighborhoods on the South Side, one in particular called Chatham.

Beverly is a very wealthy Irish neighborhood and Hyde Park is a very wealthy Black and Jewish neighborhood both on the south side.

Also remember that while Chicago public schools are pretty bad, there are magnet schools and parochial schools as well as private non religious schools.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:36 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,001,496 times
Quote:
A lot of times the central core is actually the historic, old-money part of the city. This is the case for Memphis. There's basically a central corridor of affluent areas, running from Downtown (in the West) through Midtown, all the way to East Memphis, and then out to the burbs. You can drive from one end of the city to the other without seeing any run-down areas (maybe a couple.) The North & South sides are considered the bad sides.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:49 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,327,947 times
Quote:
You don't have a clue what you're talking about. First of all, many Southeastern cities have small cores to begin with (at least when compared to their Northern/Midwestern counterparts), and they don't even begin to compare with the decline that the downtowns of several Northern/Midwestern cities saw or are seeing. Furthermore, large scale urban renewal made essentially made many of our downtowns something of a blank slate until they began experiencing rebirth around 20-30 years ago. The whole reason why downtown areas still have negative connotations for some people isn't because of violence and decline in cities like Charlotte, Atlanta, Raleigh, Nashville, Orlando, etc. (such a prospect is laughable within itself); it's because of the urban nightmares that were represented by the downtowns of cities like Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, Detroit, etc.

And the transplants from the North/Midwest want big houses and large yards and lots of space which is why they are heading for the 'burbs. Either that's the environment they lived in when they were in the North and Midwest, or its a step up from the declining urban neighborhood in their old city they left behind. Face facts; people from the North/Midwest love sprawl just as much as people from the South.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:51 PM

63 posts, read 80,696 times
When Georgia voted to change their state flag in 2000 its pretty obvious that this would not have been done without the votes from Atlanta. Atlanta is a disgrace. The rest of Georgia is fine. By the way, Im in Atlanta all the time. Anything within 5min outside 280 and everything inside is firm Yankee turf. The only Southerners in Atlanta are Blacks. If Mississippi had been filled with Yankees like Georgia I bet Mississippi's flag would change too. Part of the reason these Yankees move down South is they are still fighting The War. They say we are, but we aint trying to impose our will on them like they do us. Shame Georgia shame for changing your flag. It is the first step in eradicating our Southern symbols. Now dont get me wrong, I love Georgia and realize they are in a predicament. To be honest, I have no problem with Northerners who move down and assimilate to OUR culture. It is those who move to the South with the intent of eradicating Southern Culture that I have a problem with.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:52 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,327,947 times
Quote:
Based on my personal experience, southerners are way more obsessed with "Yankees taking over their locale" than vice versa.
That's because the era of Southerners moving North in droves was in the early to mid-1900's. In case you haven't noticed, that trend has been reversed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.