Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2010, 10:55 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,900 times

Advertisements

I am utterly confused by when you say the "culture" of the North. What defines the culture of the North? Urban, suburban, cookie cutter?? Please be more specific.

By culture of the south, do you mean linguistics, rural farm, hunting, fishing, what do you mean?

If anything the culture of the south has been the #1 reigning culture in politics even to this day. Carter, Clinton, Bush, Bush II. Newt Gingrich as Speaker. Strom Thurmond and Senator Byrd in charge of the Senate until recently.

By northern culture invading the south, do you mean people from the north bringing their way of life?

Does that include televisions, radios, books, computers, automobiles. If by your definition those things are northern, then good luck getting by without that stuff.

How about food? Do you eat pizza, hot dogs, Chinese food? Is that northern also?

Do by southern food you mean grits, hog head cheese, and pork belly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 10:59 AM

871 posts, read 2,247,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just.a.good.ol.boy View Post
JimmyJohns, a link was provided to William Ellison a page or so back. You clearly aint paying attention. You are so trigger happy to bloviate and be litigous at the slightest mention of a Black slave owner. I don't get it. Why, JimmyJohns, do you deny that thousands of Blacks owned slaves? Why do you deny that Anthony Johnson, a black man, was the FIRST KNOWN SLAVEOWNER in America(from the South). You seem insanely and hotheadedly focused on the obvious, that Whites owned slaves. No sh*t sherlock lol The South will never take on the culture of the North.
and in that link (not provided by you) nothing is mentioned about him having the most profitable plantation in south carolina.

and seriously, how many straw man arguments can you fit into a single paragraph? ive never denied that blacks owned slaves, read my posts. all ive done is tell you that those who did were incredibly rare and not reflective of the racial roles relegated to the vast majority of blacks. a more appropriate question would be why you are so focused on the few slaveowners that were black? what are you trying to prove by bringing up (literally in almost every post) the same extremely rare exception of a black plantation owner when his role in south carolina society was so rare that it literally occured once in over 400,000? why is that so relevant and important to YOU, is a more important question, and what point are you trying to make with that? youve over and over said "IT IS VERY IMPORTANT", why? why is it so important? what does it prove? why is it relevant? ive told you why its not, can you tell me why it is?

Old 11-26-2010, 11:13 AM

63 posts, read 93,864 times
JimmyJohns, you are being intellectually dishonest. Louisiana is a Southern state. They seceded 6th after Georgia. More coloreds and mulattos owned slaves in that state than whites. Spin it how you wish. They were a French territory blah blah blah Well that was in 1803. Then the U.S. bought Louisiana. You seem intelligent JimmyJohns, so I have to beg the question, What do you gain by distorting the facts?

Old 11-26-2010, 11:17 AM

Chitown, are you serious? You seriously dont know the hallmark cultural differences between the North and the South?

Old 11-26-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
JimmyJohns, you are being intellectually dishonest. Louisiana is a Southern state. They seceded 6th after Georgia. More coloreds and mulattos owned slaves in that state than whites. Spin it how you wish. They were a French territory blah blah blah Well that was in 1803. Then the U.S. bought Louisiana. You seem intelligent JimmyJohns, so I have to beg the question, What do you gain by distorting the facts?
is this seriously what its come down to? the only one spinning things and being intellectually dishonest here is you. you won even answer my question as to what you are trying to prove by bringing up these rare exceptions. you are pretty good at dishing out claims like that, but what have i said that is intellectually dishonest?

we already addressed LA. you provided no source as to more "coloreds" (whatever the hell that is) owning slaves than whites. i havent distorted any facts, everything ive used is straight from the census. the only sourced claim youve made cites wikipedia. there is NO WAY that more "coloreds and mulattos" owned slaves in LA than whites. ive already given you the numbers on that.

your arguments are just filled with fallacious attacks (last post it was straw man, now its false claims about fact distortion). quit being so petty. you know damn well that black slaveowners were extremely rare and not reflective of antebellum southern society's racial roles. what are you trying to prove by bringing up black slaveowners? answer that question, enough dancing.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:40 AM

JimmyJohns, why do you assume Im trying to "Prove something"? Thats just ridiculous. All Im doing is pointing out that there are HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of Blacks living today who's Black and White ancentors owned slaves. Why you want to deny this to Blacks I have no idea. Quit sidestepping the question with a question. What is your agenda?

Old 11-26-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
JimmyJohns, why do you assume Im trying to "Prove something"? Thats just ridiculous. All Im doing is pointing out that there are HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of Blacks living today who's Black and White ancentors owned slaves. Why you want to deny this to Blacks I have no idea. Quit sidestepping the question with a question. What is your agenda?
you dont just randomly throw things out there with no point. you are trying to prove something, and for some reason are sidestepping incredibly.

my "agenda" has been stated over an over again. that black plantation owners were incredibly rare and that they were not reflective as to how that vast majority (over 99.9 percent) of blacks in the antebellem south lived. ive made this no secret, and ive used census numbers to back it up. my "agenda" has been to explain to you that the vast majority of southern slaveowners were white and that dwelling on the rare exceptions of those that were black creates a false picture of racial roles in the antebellum south. there has been no sidestepping from me, this has been made very open all along.

your hundreds of thousand figure was just pulled out of nowhere (you seem to be allergic to citing claims). meanwhile i can tell you, using census numbers, that over 99 percent of blacks do not descend from black slaveowners (although many do descend from white ones, but that is a separate issue).

i dont see why you feel the need to be so elusive. you arent just randomly throwing out "blacks owned slaves" for no reason. you have said multiple times that "IT IS VERY SIGNIFICANT", what is it significant to if you are just randomly throwing facts out with no point? come on, who are we kidding here?

Last edited by JimmyJohnWilson; 11-26-2010 at 12:00 PM..

Old 11-26-2010, 12:10 PM

JimmyJohns, quit distorting the facts. I have read the census numbers too. It is not my job to do research for you. I have also read country legal documents of Blacks who owned slaves. I dont know what you stand to gain from your blatent dishonesty. Regardless, I have provided a link backing up my assertions. Of course, you will discredit the information but I provided the link so that the fair minded folks reading this thread can decide for themselves. Its obvious beyond reproach that you are biased and have a hidden agenda. I have to go eat. JimmyJohns, I suggest you re-evaluate your diversionary tactics. As anyone can see, they have proven to be ineffective. Black Slave Owners Civil War Article by Robert M Grooms

Old 11-26-2010, 01:56 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,900 times
Quote:
Chitown, are you serious? You seriously dont know the hallmark cultural differences between the North and the South?
I guarantee that my list of differences will be far different from yours. Therefore, I am asking you what has the North brought to the South that you don't like.

Is it:

Linguistics
Technology
Attitude
Entertainment
Fashion
Automobiles
Food
Political Beliefs
Religion

Feel free to add additional categories and explain what you don't like about it and how it has impacted the South.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:02 PM

Chitown, the difference in the North and the South is the way the people as a whole think. Just because you shift a segment of Northerners to the South means nothing because this aint representative of Southerners. That is what this thread is all about. And all Notherners know that they can move to Alabama or Tennessee but they will never be Southerners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.