U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-20-2010, 10:22 PM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,990 posts, read 11,563,690 times
Reputation: 3232

Advertisements

If taxes don't matter for education, then why do all the low-tax states have the nation's poorest education systems? All of the Southern states, plus other "low-tax" havens such as Arizona, Nevada and Utah have the lowest-ranked school systems in the country, while "high-tax" states like Wisconsin, Minnesota and Vermont have some of the best education systems in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2010, 10:25 PM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,990 posts, read 11,563,690 times
Reputation: 3232
Quote:
Originally Posted by just.a.good.ol.boy View Post
Haha. How original. All your stereotypical insults dont change that fact that millions have fled the rotted North in exchange for the South. That speaks for itself.
Millions fled the South for better opportunities up North in the 20th century. What's your point? The economy ebbs and flows. Neither the North or the South is superior, both make up this great nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2010, 10:50 PM
 
Location: Pasadena
7,412 posts, read 8,235,465 times
Reputation: 1802
I think it is safe to say that the "northeasternization" of the South can be seen in voting patterns. Virginia, North Carolina, West Virginia, Florida are not reliably Republican anymore and likely never will return to the GOP thanks, in part, to Yankees moving into these states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2010, 11:05 PM
 
871 posts, read 1,956,894 times
Reputation: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I think it is safe to say that the "northeasternization" of the South can be seen in voting patterns. Virginia, North Carolina, West Virginia, Florida are not reliably Republican anymore and likely never will return to the GOP thanks, in part, to Yankees moving into these states.
since when are yankees moving into west virginia? where? what in west virginia is drawing yankees? theres not a single city in that state over 51,000 people. west virginia hasnt had population influxes since the 1910's.

and seriously, how short is your memory? have you forgotten that arkansas, kentucky, georgia, tennessee and louisiana voted for bill clinton? not to mention that fact the the democrats had a stronghold over the south for over a century. and as far as recent years, it really depends on who the candidate is.

if you think NC and VA "will never return to the GOP" you ought to rethink, because i could easily see them going that way in the next election. really depends on whos running.

and what makes you think the northerners moving south are democrats? a lot of northerners moving south (especially the midwestern ones) are conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 12:30 AM
 
Location: Pasadena
7,412 posts, read 8,235,465 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
since when are yankees moving into west virginia? where? what in west virginia is drawing yankees? theres not a single city in that state over 51,000 people. west virginia hasnt had population influxes since the 1910's.

and seriously, how short is your memory? have you forgotten that arkansas, kentucky, georgia, tennessee and louisiana voted for bill clinton? not to mention that fact the the democrats had a stronghold over the south for over a century. and as far as recent years, it really depends on who the candidate is.

if you think NC and VA "will never return to the GOP" you ought to rethink, because i could easily see them going that way in the next election. really depends on whos running.

and what makes you think the northerners moving south are democrats? a lot of northerners moving south (especially the midwestern ones) are conservative.
The title of this thread is the "Northeasternization" not the Midwesternization of the South. West Virginia may not have been a good example of the migration of Yankees into the South. The historic situation of Democrats in the South was radically changed when the Democratic party repudiated racism and thats when the Republican party saw a way in; dispiciable cynicism of a political party selling its soul to the devil and why Republicans are viewed with such contempt in much of the nation, especially the West Coast.

But getting back to the influence of the Northeast on the South. Politics is just one example. Yankees also brought a sense of tolerance of racial & sexual diversity long overdue for the South. It is the challenge to the Bible-Belt that the Northeast has been effective in breaking down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 12:47 AM
 
Location: The Home Base-North Carolina
63 posts, read 80,688 times
Reputation: 54
california sur, apparently you aint aware that NC has been a Democratic state for some time. Until this past Nov. 2, the General Assembly was controlled by the Democrats as it normally is. Now, thanks to Obamas radical policies the NC General Assembly has Republican majorities for the first time since 1898!!!! WOW!! It is true that Obama won NC. I will concede that, however, he only one it by less than 1%. That can hardly be considered a major shift in political structure in our state. NC traditionally elects Democrat governers. So the influence of Yankees is extremely overplayed. In fact my district, district 2, just threw out 7 term Democrat Bob Etheridge, a native down home country boy, in favor of Renee Ellmers, a tea party backed Republican originally from Michigan. Etheridge got the boot because his good ol boy persona took a major hit when he voted for ObamaCare. So I think I have very clearly, with facts, proven that the influence of northerners on the South is greatly exaggerated particulary by Northeners who wish to remake the South in their own image.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 01:30 AM
 
Location: Rome, Georgia
2,706 posts, read 3,335,610 times
Reputation: 1911
The insult comes when Northerners think that the only reason southern culture has evolved is because they have moved here. Whether liberal or conservative, regardless of the amounts of transplants, we are not like you. We won't be like you; we don't want to be like you. Not that you are bad per se, but there is a different culture here than yours. Part of what I understand about your culture is that you are understanding and accepting of other cultures. Correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 01:34 AM
 
Location: Rome, Georgia
2,706 posts, read 3,335,610 times
Reputation: 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
If taxes don't matter for education, then why do all the low-tax states have the nation's poorest education systems? All of the Southern states, plus other "low-tax" havens such as Arizona, Nevada and Utah have the lowest-ranked school systems in the country, while "high-tax" states like Wisconsin, Minnesota and Vermont have some of the best education systems in the nation.
Don't ask that question on a public forum without doing your own research, please. If I was to attempt to answer it I would be assailed with all sorts of epitaphs because of where I was born. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 01:35 AM
 
Location: Rome, Georgia
2,706 posts, read 3,335,610 times
Reputation: 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Millions fled the South for better opportunities up North in the 20th century. What's your point? The economy ebbs and flows. Neither the North or the South is superior, both make up this great nation.
This is a good post. It is, however, inconsistent with the rest of your posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 01:43 AM
 
Location: Rome, Georgia
2,706 posts, read 3,335,610 times
Reputation: 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
The title of this thread is the "Northeasternization" not the Midwesternization of the South. West Virginia may not have been a good example of the migration of Yankees into the South. The historic situation of Democrats in the South was radically changed when the Democratic party repudiated racism and thats when the Republican party saw a way in; dispiciable cynicism of a political party selling its soul to the devil and why Republicans are viewed with such contempt in much of the nation, especially the West Coast.

But getting back to the influence of the Northeast on the South. Politics is just one example. Yankees also brought a sense of tolerance of racial & sexual diversity long overdue for the South. It is the challenge to the Bible-Belt that the Northeast has been effective in breaking down.
Is the term "bull****", allowed on this forum? Another one who has no idea of the cultural evolution of the south. Your convoluted idea of southerners is so warped that you generalize all of us to be like the prehistoric characterizations of bad movies. Go ahead and pigeon-hole the majority of us, but be aware that that is precisely what you accuse us of doing to other populations. Congratulations, you are an hypocrite!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top