U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 01:51 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,410,573 times

Advertisements

Hmmm.... yes, the South does have newcomers other than Northeasterners - (Mid)Westerners, etc. - it's just that the Northeasterners are the most annoying of the recent transplants.

Hee hee.. just kidding.. sorta...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 08:44 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,335,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
The insult comes when Northerners think that the only reason southern culture has evolved is because they have moved here.
Not the only reason, but definitely part of the reason. Immigration also changed culture in the Northeast and Midwest 100 years ago or so and in the West as well. However, a big difference is that the cultural impact of immigrants in the Northeast and Midwest from 100 years ago is mostly seen within historic urban neighborhoods of the major cities of those regions, while in the South, the cultural impact of Northern/Midwestern migrants are largely relegated to sprawl outside of the city where most of them choose to settle.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:12 AM

15,031 posts, read 31,409,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post

But getting back to the influence of the Northeast on the South. Politics is just one example. Yankees also brought a sense of tolerance of racial & sexual diversity long overdue for the South. It is the challenge to the Bible-Belt that the Northeast has been effective in breaking down.
Hmm, wasn't it the Yankee transplants that wanted to resegregate the schools in Wake County NC?

Old 11-21-2010, 09:38 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,321,482 times
You are worse than the Northerners stereotyping Southerners. Have you ever been to Westfield, NJ, Ridgewood, NJ, Villanova, PA, Rye, NY etc....? Yep, real dumps.

BTW, the state of NC is, financially, a mess. I will also go so far as to say that these southern states have improved culturally since the Northern migration began.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just.a.good.ol.boy View Post
Haha. How original. All your stereotypical insults dont change that fact that millions have fled the rotted North in exchange for the South. That speaks for itself.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:41 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,321,482 times
Get your facts straight before spouting off. Kids are being bussed all over the county in the name of diversity. People are tired of having their kids bussed 20 miles away just to be part of a social experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Hmm, wasn't it the Yankee transplants that wanted to resegregate the schools in Wake County NC?

Old 11-21-2010, 11:30 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,129,292 times
Quote:
The insult comes when Northerners think that the only reason southern culture has evolved is because they have moved here. Whether liberal or conservative, regardless of the amounts of transplants, we are not like you. We won't be like you; we don't want to be like you. Not that you are bad per se, but there is a different culture here than yours. Part of what I understand about your culture is that you are understanding and accepting of other cultures. Correct?
You don't want to be us like us except you want to make our money. Then when you can't, you complain about us.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:56 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,747,558 times
Historically, West Virginia (western Virginia at the time) was one of the first to experience "Northeasternization", thanks in large part to the B&O Railroad, which brought in thousands of northern workers. Two of three heads of households in Wheeling in 1860 were not native Virginians, and Grafton, an important hub of the B&O in Taylor County, had a population nearly 50% non-Virginian. These towns became centers of Unionism during the war, while just a few miles away from the railroad were towns that were centers of secessionism, like Philippi only 17 miles away where the population was mostly native Virginian.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:07 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,338,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
You don't want to be us like us except you want to make our money. Then when you can't, you complain about us.
Money is low on my list of priorities. You should try it. Makes you care about all sorts of things that really are important.

I only complain about you complaining about us, and perpetuating old stereotypes while wallowing in your glorious sense of superiority. I have no issues with 99% of northerners, and no issues at all with northerners just because they are from the north. My problem is with the lack of historical understanding of circumstances that some northerners use to paint us with their broadest brushes, all the while touting their benevolent understanding of cultural acceptance, while denouncing all southerners as being racist religious nuts. It just seems hypocritical sometimes is all.

Last edited by Georgiafrog; 11-21-2010 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 11-21-2010, 01:37 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,121,427 times
Quote:
Money is low on my list of priorities. You should try it. Makes you care about all sorts of things that really are important.

I only complain about you complaining about us, and perpetuating old stereotypes while wallowing in your glorious sense of superiority. I have no issues with 99% of northerners, and no issues at all with northerners just because they are from the north. My problem is with the lack of historical understanding of circumstances that some northerners use to paint us with their broadest brushes, all the while tauting their benevolent understanding of cultural acceptance, while denouncing all southerners as being racist religious nuts. It just seems hypocritical sometimes is all.
Every once in a while I do this:

STANDING OVATION!

Encore! Georgiafrog!

Old 11-21-2010, 02:01 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,121,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Excuse me?

Given trends of migration vis a vis North and South, I would say it is y'all who want to make OUR money!

I agree completely with GeorgiaFrog in the summation presented. It is NOT an issue of leftovers from the War Between the States. Nor that Southerners inherently disdain northerners.

Hell, if anything, the opposite is much more likely to be the general rule of thumb.

Sorry, but that is the generalization that has been my 52 years of experience as a native Texan/Southerner. Yankees who come down here and, from day one, never try to assimilate, have a barely concealed disdain and contempt for our ways, our speech, our mannerisms, etc, etc. ad nauseum.

THEN? Have the nerve to say that Southern Hospitality is "fake and false"...never connecting the dots. To wit: Southern friendliness is there for anyone who is open to it...but it comes with the small price of being willing to understand us in turn. And our unique history and culture.

True. We don't much cotton to those who come into our home and tell us -- if not in words, but condecending attitude -- what backward, slow-drawling, racist, Bible-thumping hicks we are. And how much better it was Up North. Love our milk and honey, but don't care to really get to know us or become one of us.

Finally...yeah...I know, I know, I am ranting and raving here...but sometime can't stop myself once I get on a roll....

I ain't got a thing in the world against notherners per se. As it is, my own kids are "half-yankee" (their mother, my ex, is a northerner) and I have, personally, never had anything but good times and great memories of visiting up North.

Hell, other than the strange accents and them not knowing what black-eyed peas and fried okra are? Or understanding what I meant when I asked what kinda "cokes" they had? I sorta took a real liking to most of them yankees!

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-21-2010 at 03:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.