U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 02:59 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,128,820 times

Advertisements

The cost of living in the south is way cheaper compared to northern cities. But the amount of money to be made is still better up north. Look at average salaries, poverty levels, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 03:21 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,241,018 times
The reaction of some Southerners to Yankee criticism is understandable but a person has to get beyond emotional self-defensive responses. The fact that the Unitied States has had to enforce various actions against some Southern states is due to racism and ignorance. The response should be relief that America will not ever tolerate the kind of bigotry and racial hatred that historically characterized the South. The opinion of the South by the bulk of Americans is view it with guarded optimism but a willingness to impose whatever is necessary to counter confederate impulses.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:39 PM

3,191 posts, read 4,136,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
The reaction of some Southerners to Yankee criticism is understandable but a person has to get beyond emotional self-defensive responses. The fact that the Unitied States has had to enforce various actions against some Southern states is due to racism and ignorance. The response should be relief that America will not ever tolerate the kind of bigotry and racial hatred that historically characterized the South. The opinion of the South by the bulk of Americans is view it with guarded optimism but a willingness to impose whatever is necessary to counter confederate impulses.
1967 Detroit riot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Watts Riots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1968 Chicago riots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1992 Los Angeles riots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Confederate impulses" huh? Right.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:48 PM

The race riots in the north in the late 1960s were directly related to white violence against blacks in the deep south.

The 1968 Chicago riots were not racial in nature.

The 1992 Los Angeles riots were racial.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
The race riots in the north in the late 1960s were directly related to white violence against blacks in the deep south.

The 1968 Chicago riots were not racial in nature.

The 1992 Los Angeles riots were racial.
I checked again, the only thing you are right about is the Chicago riot, even though it was confined to black neighborhoods. But Detroit? Watts? Southern related, I don't think so. Detroit let the police departments harrass blacks for years, nobody every said anything against it, that's the state of Michigan's fault, not the south.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:03 PM

The Chicago riots in 1968 were not confined to black neighborhoods. In fact, they occurred downtown and in mostly white north side neighborhoods due to the Democratic Convention in August that year.

You seem to forget that the majority of the African American populations in the north came from the Deep South.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
The Chicago riots in 1968 were not confined to black neighborhoods. In fact, they occurred downtown and in mostly white north side neighborhoods due to the Democratic Convention in August that year.

You seem to forget that the majority of the African American populations in the north came from the Deep South.
I think we're talking about 2 different events, your talking about the August 1968 riots, I'm talking about the April 1968 riots.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:37 PM

404 posts, read 951,187 times
In reality, the reason many northerners move south is financially based. When you're looking at paying 500K plus for a townhome vs 200K for a nice single family with better weather, it's almost a no brainer. Additionally, despite the poor education system many southern areas have, the saved COL money can be diverted into private education. The North East is expensive for two reasons: 1, population density is higher in the BO-WASH corridor leading to a scarcity issue; 2, Jobs typically pay higher salaries which in turn allows people to pay more.

I for one have considered moving south in a few years. I look at places like Florida or Texas where real estate is cheap, everyone has a pool and there isn't a crappy winter to deal with. However, I haven't looked into the job market, but I'm assuming my pay would be much less.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:03 PM

63 posts, read 80,726 times
If anything, the title of this thread should be THE RISE OF THE SOUTH, FALL OF THE NORTH. As a direct result of the MASS EXODUS from the North the South is gaining U.S. Representatives while the North is losing them. I believe this year alone New York lost at least 3 U.S. Representatives while Texas gained 6. SC, NC, GA, VA, and FL have also added. The Southern States also are gaining Electorial College votes while the North are losing votes. By and large, even with the onslaught of Yankee refugees fleeing to Dixieland, the South as a whole has remained the most conservative region in the Nation. The fact that we even discuss Southern Culture at such lengths is a testament to the greatness and intrigue of the Southern people. How often is it that people get excited about talking about Northern culture? Lol Ive never even heard of such. The attention is always centered on the South. And as I stated before, our Confederate monuments still stand proudly. In my state of NC, we have a tall, beautifull, Confederate monument next to the Courthouse in nearly even county. About 15 of our counties are named after great Confederate generals. State buildings, towns, schools, and roads named after Confederates. So how is it again that yall Yankees have diminished our culture? Just a few examples of counties in N.C. named after Confederate generals: Lee, Johnston, Hoke, Pender. Fort Bragg is named after Confederate General Braxton Bragg from Warrenton, NC.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:17 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,569,024 times
The confederates were treasonous terrorists fighting for the "right" to keep slaves. They committed treason against the United States of America and led to the deaths of thousands of Americans. Yes, I said it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.