U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2010, 09:21 PM

3,191 posts, read 4,134,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
The confederates were treasonous terrorists fighting for the "right" to keep slaves. They committed treason against the United States of America and led to the deaths of thousands of Americans. Yes, I said it.
Wrongest of wrongs of wrong. M'kay I had to get that one out. But your incorrect on all counts, secession is not treason. And the thousands of deaths could be attributed to both sides, though the Rebs killed more Yanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 09:24 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,566,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Wrongest of wrongs of wrong. M'kay I had to get that one out. But your incorrect on all counts, secession is not treason. And the thousands of deaths could be attributed to both sides, though the Rebs killed more Yanks.
How is it not treason? Not only did they secede, but they fought against the United States of America! That is the very definition of treason.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:38 PM

3,191 posts, read 4,134,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
How is it not treason? Not only did they secede, but they fought against the United States of America! That is the very definition of treason.
Before 1870, secession was not addressed in any part of the Constitution of the United States. The south used that fact to their advantage, making it perfectly legal because it WASN'T against the Constitution. So when South Carolina fired upon Ft. Sumter, because it saw Lincoln's non-evacuation of the fort a blantant call to war. It fired on the fort not as a state in rebellion, but as an independent state under the government of the Confederate States of America. Another soveriegn country.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:07 PM

4,677 posts, read 8,049,655 times
^Dude, I see what you're saying. But, I hardly believe anybody is sympathetic to the Confederates secession and the fact that they supported slavery, I just don't see anyway around that.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:10 PM

63 posts, read 80,696 times
Kazoo is obviously not to keen when it comes to 19th century American history. The first states to threaten secession where Northeastern states in the early 1830s. HOWEVER, my point is that YANKEE INFLUENCE in the South is grossly overstated. This thread is not about the War Between the States. I only point out our buildings, roads, counties, and monuments built in dedication of our great Confederacy. They continue to proudly stand EVEN AFTER this supposedly great transformation that has occured in Dixieland due to the Great Yankee Exodus from the Rust Belt and Northeast Corrider. What this proves is that these Yankee migrants are merely visitors, a blip in time, that will never be Southerners and wilk always be viewed as outsiders.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:15 PM

144 posts, read 223,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
The Chicago riots in 1968 were not confined to black neighborhoods. In fact, they occurred downtown and in mostly white north side neighborhoods due to the Democratic Convention in August that year.

You seem to forget that the majority of the African American populations in the north came from the Deep South.

That is true.

However, with all the opportunties the north had to offer, why were so many African Americans segregated into housing projects? Why did white flight occur? Riots shouldn't have occured in the northern cities if it were so much better.

But just google or go to your local library and read about African American and southern white experiences during the Great Migration. It's quite an eye opener.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:24 PM

21,363 posts, read 24,099,835 times
Usually the counties at least an hour away from I95 or I85 have the least Northeasternization. They usually stick to the I95 corridor mostly.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:31 PM

I would say that the dirty lil secret Northerners dont wont people to know is that their neighborhoods are just as segregated as the South. During the time when the blacks where migrating to the North they generally where not welcomed by the average northern whites. Even to this day whites in Boston are known to have ties to the Klan. The most segregated city in America is NYC. Chinatown, Irishtown, Harlem, etc. you get my point. Look at what in Cambridge, Mass between that white cop and the black professor. In the first half of the 20th century blacks where lynched AS FAR NORTH AS DULUTH, MN.!!! But of course all of this is never told because it doesn't fit into the storyline that is all to often dictacted by some self-righteous Yank.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:19 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,238,355 times
Unfortunately the very reason the South gets such poor remarks by most Americans is being played out by some on this thread. To deny or debate that slavery and ugly racism was not part of the U.S. South is both ridiculous and a horrible attempt to conceal the truth. Thankfully the confederate fools who still exists are such pariahs everywhere in the nation that they can only find an audience on the Internet. Several months ago a group of white supremacist from Ohio of all places decided to come to Los Angeles and protest in a city park. The racists fools where outnumbered by a large crowd and the police had to step in to save the idiots who got beat up, their cars where stoned and they were literally chased down the street. All of them were heavily tattooed with swastikas and confederate symbols and looked like they just got out of prison. Naturally they left LA quickly and probably will never again enter California again unless they are more foolish if that is possible.

Racism in the South is a major stain on America and will always be viewed as criminal and ignorant people who need the American police agencies to watch them and not hesitate to take swift action against these anti-American fools.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:32 PM

The example you cite is of a group based in Ohio and then continue to link it to the South in order to continue with your bigoted view of the South lmao. You proved my point exactly but you are to blinded in trying to bash the South that you didn't even realize it lol. This may come as a NEWSFLASH to many of those who are BIGOTED toward the South, but the South does not hold a monopoly on racism. But keep on citing more examples of racist NORTHERNERS as your logic and reasoning behind your bigoted views of the South because all your doing is proving my point for me hahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.