Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 04:23 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,400,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
The rural areas of these states still identify as Southern, but what about the urban areas?

A large influx of people migrating from the Northeast has influenced the cultural dynamic of urban areas in or near Florida, Virginia, Georgia, and North Carolina.

Will this phenomenon spread to other states in the Southeast like South Carolina and Alabama? And could other regions in the United States see a similar pattern (i.e. the Midwesternization of the Desert Southwest)?
Not a very well thought out commentary especially by ignoring the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State and the Main Question Defeats the BS Stereotype that some on here make in reference to the ignorant denial of why they don't accept the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 04:53 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times
I think Georgia, Virginia, North Carolina, and even Florida do have some cities that remain fairly Southern.

Macon, Georgia looks to have a population that's mostly from Georgia. I've never been so maybe it's not that Southern, but I thought it remained at least somewhat Southern. Some of the majority black cities in North Carolina, like Rocky Mount, appear to still be majority in-state. Outside of those I thought Hickory-Lenoir was still fairly Southern. It seems like at least one of the cities in the Florida Panhandle remains fairly Southern. Is Pensacola still at least somewhat Southern? I'm not sure what to guess on Virginia, Roanoke maybe?

http://www.city-data.com/top2/h166.html

The West and Southwest I think tends to get more swamped than the South from what I remember. Exempting Florida the states that seem to be over 50% "out of state born" are mostly out West. Nevada, Arizona, Alaska, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, and Montana for examples. I think I saw people on the Montana section of CD complaining about being inundated by Californians and during the 2008 election I heard some Alaskans complain about "The New Alaskans", people who have came there in the last few decades or maybe even any time after statehood for the real core-Alaskan patriot type. For the Mountain Time Zone Utah looks to have the lowest percent be "out-of-state", but they are only like 2% lower than North Carolina by the looks of it and higher than Texas.

Map: U.S. Migration Flows | Pew Social & Demographic Trends

Interestingly of the original thirteen states the ones that looked to be the most "out of state" were Delaware, Maryland, and New Hampshire. Maybe the first two could be deemed Southern or former Southern, but NH is New England. Nearby Vermont is also 50%+ outsider by the look of it. So is there a "New Yorkicization" of New England? I've actually heard that suggested. Considering the states that are leaving I'd guess the people really "inundating" places are people from the "Old Midwest" (Illinois, Indiana, Michigan Ohio) and the Mid-Atlantic. (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey) Also Californians for some of the Rocky Mountain states. "Northeastern", like Boston or Hartford, I'm not sure are really "taking over" that many places.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:50 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,167 times
There is no such thing as the "northeasternization" of the South. The South is becoming more urban and attracting talent and people from all over as well as exporting its native talent to other areas of the country. Some may find this surprising, but since the advent of A/C, growth has been explosive in the South. This is not a new phenomenon.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:23 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,642,341 times
I agree with Adavi, the South isn't becoming some NEastern clone. The mid-sized-larger cities in the South will attract people from all over and just add to what was already there. Nothing wrong with that.

Now, I would love for the old-school Southern areas to keep their styles but they're going through transitions too. That's all this is, a transition going on in the South from old to new(er).

Old 11-20-2010, 08:13 AM

37,795 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
The rural areas of these states still identify as Southern, but what about the urban areas?

A large influx of people migrating from the Northeast has influenced the cultural dynamic of urban areas in or near Florida, Virginia, Georgia, and North Carolina.

Will this phenomenon spread to other states in the Southeast like South Carolina and Alabama? And could other regions in the United States see a similar pattern (i.e. the Midwesternization of the Desert Southwest)?
North Carolina is already dead. Northeasterners or former Northeasterners by way of Florida come to the south for the cheap and the weather. They don't realize the reason it's cheap is because it's not liberal. Once they dominate the place it isn't cheap anymore because they try to turn it into the place from which they ran away when they go to the ballot box.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:17 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
North Carolina is already dead. Northeasterners or former Northeasterners by way of Florida come to the south for the cheap and the weather. They don't realize the reason it's cheap is because it's not liberal. Once they dominate the place it isn't cheap anymore because they try to turn it into the place from which they ran away when they go to the ballot box.
Yep, they've already ruined Florida and moved on, just like a plague of locusts.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:33 AM

457 posts, read 1,279,886 times
Most of the South is dead. It has been replaced with cookie cutter suburbanization. Even the rural towns in the Mountains have been turned into yuppie granola tourist traps. It is sad to see the culture lost.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:55 AM

650 posts, read 1,326,921 times
Lol @ "They".

Old 11-20-2010, 09:39 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm not sure if you live in NC, but I live in Charlotte which is undeniably Southern. Charlotteans will readily identify as being Southerns and transplants will admit that they live in the South. I'm not sure what you mean by NC is already dead.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:03 AM

276 posts, read 476,704 times
I'll refrain from responding to the idiot-politics regarding liberals. Ever hear of Reagan, who tripled the debt AND cleaned three trillion out of the SS slush fund? Ever hear of George Bush the Younger, who again tripled the debt?

I've lived in Charlotte for six years. 57% of Charlotteans are not from NC. Of that number, 48% are from the northeast.

Charlotte is not Southern. Nor is it "Northeast". It's a crude, overly-densified, disposable crass nightmare of McMansions and strip malls. It looks like a place that was controlled by and developed by two big banks, which is exactly what happened.

I get irritated by southerners who blame northerners for what has happened. Do you really think we want to live like this?!? No one wants to live like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.