U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 02:50 PM

597 posts, read 1,157,856 times

Advertisements

Every day I see many posts in this forum where many people say they want to go to Europe, to Asia, to Canada, to Caribbean and several others world's places.
I am curious. What is happening?
Is happening some mass emigration movement from America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 04:11 PM

15,951 posts, read 36,206,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
Every day I see many posts in this forum where many people say they want to go to Europe, to Asia, to Canada, to Caribbean and several others world's places.
I am curious. What is happening?
Is happening some mass emigration movement from America?
I think its just a trickle. I'm an American abroad, and lived in Asia for 10 years, and a year in South America and a year in Europe.

You see Europeans living all over the world and traveling all over the world...Australians as well.

Americans not so much. Still as insular as always. You do see some retiring abroad though - like Panama, Costa Rica....but still close to the U.S., and its after their work careers.

A few of us teaching english in Asia...but you can't emigrate to an Asian country. The only countries taking immigrants are throughout the Americas and Australia/NZ.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:25 PM

631 posts, read 1,971,657 times
I think this is something that is being considered a lot among the younger populations - mostly, recent college graduates and current college students. Personally, I think it's great.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:18 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,323,960 times
I've heard of some recent college graduates moving to China for work but I don't think it's a significant phenomenon (in terms of numbers). I'm sure there were some Americans moving to China back in the 1950's as well. When I was younger it probably sounded more ridiculous than it does now, because unemployment wasn't hovering at around 10% I guess. If we get hit with a double dip recession then who knows.
Personally I'm really tired of it, I went back to college and got some skills (no degree yet). But anyways I did the right thing and the world took a crapdive so I'm stuck at a job I don't like.
I have plans to teach English as a volunteer in Thailand next year. I'm going to try getting a job teaching English but I'm certainly not throwing away my return ticket until I'm sure. Whether things get better or worse in the US it's something I've always wanted to do and I'll never be any younger than I am now.
But no I don't think there is any mass immigration from the US, assuming you are talking about the US?

Old 11-18-2010, 11:19 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,991,559 times
I imagine this site gets a high amount of people who want to move far away and some of that will mean outside the US. I don't think it's necessarily representative of the US as a whole.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:58 AM

3,376 posts, read 4,833,470 times
My stepdad was actually thinking of living in Hong Kong back in the late-70s.

But, changed his mind for whatever reason, maybe going to Malaysia and meeting my mom there and myself breathing first breath in Illinois.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:38 AM

21,211 posts, read 30,435,315 times
I don't think it's a "young person's" thing as much as you might think. Many older Americans are considering it as well. I can recall when Bush Jr. was "re-elected" many either considered it or got out altogether. With the impending elections in a couple of years and the possibility of a radical-right presidential candidate winning, it's possible to hear of more mass emigration. Another factor is our continued loss of standard of living (poor economy, healthcare costs and failing educational system).

Are the American people obsolete? - U.S. Economy - Salon.com
Why Moving Out of the USA Could Be a Good Thing During This Economic Crisis - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

Old 11-19-2010, 11:37 PM

4,006 posts, read 10,457,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
I've heard of some recent college graduates moving to China for work but I don't think it's a significant phenomenon (in terms of numbers). I'm sure there were some Americans moving to China back in the 1950's as well. When I was younger it probably sounded more ridiculous than it does now,
Probably the only Americans moving to China in the 1950s were brainwashed Korean War POWs and a smattering of committed Communists. And the American Communists were probably viewed with such great suspicion that they ended up in work camps anyway.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:46 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,991,559 times
I don't think a desire for emigration is as rare as patriotic types think, but I'm not convinced it's that common.

The following from Gallup indicates 10% of US Americans would like to migrate.

Four Million U.S. Hispanics Would Migrate Permanently - The article focuses on Hispanics, but does list the general rate.

That is higher than I think many believe, but there are many nations that they indicate clearly have higher rates of desired emigration. Like Chile, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, and Taiwan. It even looks possible that South Korea has a greater desired emigration rate than us.

Migration Could Triple Populations in Some Wealthy Nations

Among the educated class America doesn't do well that at attracting versus repelling people, but we did better than Belgium or Japan.

Developed Nations Attract Young vs. Educated Migrants

Outside of Gallup the source below would seem to indicate that in 1999 1-2% of US citizens lived overseas with Canada, Israel, and the UK being some of the main places Americans went. Australia, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, the Philippines, Poland, South Korea, Spain, and Switzerland were also popular choices. I'm thinking in cases like the Philippines military personnel, or immigrants who returned home after gaining US citizenship, might be a factor.