U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do larger/busier freeways make a city feel larger in general?
Yes, it makes a difference 107 75.35%
No, it doesn't make any difference whatsoever 35 24.65%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 04:40 PM

2,753 posts, read 2,216,663 times

Advertisements

YES! The best example is Hartford, CT. The city itself its 18 sqaure miles and has roughly 130,000 and yet traffic is hideous. Traffic on Interstate 91 and Interstate 84 through Hartford is backed up for miles and miles during rush hour. The metropolitan area is the 33rd largest in the country with a little over 1,200,000 but the population of the city itself its small/medium sized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 05:01 PM

3,955 posts, read 3,487,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExplorer View Post
YES! The best example is Hartford, CT. The city itself its 18 sqaure miles and has roughly 130,000 and yet traffic is hideous. Traffic on Interstate 91 and Interstate 84 through Hartford is backed up for miles and miles during rush hour. The metropolitan area is the 33rd largest in the country with a little over 1,200,000 but the population of the city itself its small/medium sized.
Well I think this is another good example of why city pop doesn't matter when comparing most metrics. Hartford suffers from the tiny footprint that plague most New England cities. The city population of Hartford exists only because it is unable to expand it's borders when it's the core city of an urban area larger than New Orleans and just a bit smaller than Nashville. I would hope it has the freeway infrastructure rivaling these cities and not a city like Lincoln NE, which for the city pop advocates is twice it's size by the clinical definition.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:38 PM

2,753 posts, read 2,216,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Well I think this is another good example of why city pop doesn't matter when comparing most metrics. Hartford suffers from the tiny footprint that plague most New England cities. The city population of Hartford exists only because it is unable to expand it's borders when it's the core city of an urban area larger than New Orleans and just a bit smaller than Nashville. I would hope it has the freeway infrastructure rivaling these cities and not a city like Lincoln NE, which for the city pop advocates is twice it's size by the clinical definition.
Well Hartford has a 1/3 highway beltway around the city itself. Interstate 91's and Interstate 84's interchange is right outside downtown and from an out of staters view it's skyline looks like a city as big as Cleveland or Baltimore. There was a full beltway planned in the 80s but later canceled due to environmental issues.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:07 PM

3,655 posts, read 4,599,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Michigan has 2 cities that have freeway networks that seem appropriately sized. Obviously Detroit, and ironically Flint. Every other Michigan urban area suffers from two lane freeway anemia. I-94 through Kzoo is appropriately sized given the amount of through traffic that flows through the city . The state stopped upgrading freeways to meet traffic demand decades ago. Which is apparent in the congestion in the Grand Rapids/Holland area. The two lane freeways make it seem smaller than it is. I have also driven through cities like Des Moines, Omaha, and Knoxville (all of which are smaller metros than GR) and been impressed by the networks. I have wondered why Michigan has never done the same.
I think most freeways in Grand Rapids (city) has about 3 lanes, I'm not sure how long it last in the suburbs though. Michigan's road maintenance is a joke, just like it's transportation. They decide to build more freeways and roads instead of maintaining the ones we already have. Detroit for example has 2 freeways going each direction coming out of downtown and on top of that major roads doing the same (hence why traffic is lighter than many metros of similar size). All across the region they also have small pointless stretches of freeways like Davidson, the 3 mile freeway, who in the hell thought that was a good idea? Meanwhile, there are roads that look (and feel) like a military air strike went to work on it.

Quote:
I would agree with the Atlanta being mentioned. When flying through the city with 6+ lanes of traffic with a beautiful skyline, that gives you the feeling of a major world class city. When you exit off especially south of downtown your impression drops quite a bit.

Nashville is another one. Very congested for its size. Seems like a happening city that is much larger than it is.
This was me... all the way. Skyline was amazing, top of the line type city, got off outside of the downtown/ Midtown area into the neighborhoods and could of sworn I landed in some suburb instead of Atlanta city. Not a good or bad thing depending on preference, it just... caught me by surprise I guess.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:31 AM

4,925 posts, read 4,912,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Michigan's roads are so bad they are getting a reputation as the decay state.
If they don't start fixing them soon then the state will suffer economically as companies will avoid the state or start leaving due to the huge risk and costs of transporting products.
You can't have a semi carrying a 100,000 pound load run over a huge pothole at freeway speeds and not expect something bad to happen.

LMAO thats Michigan for ya.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:54 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,510,289 times
I'm leaning toward yes.

Tucson, AZ (997,000) and Allentown, PA (827,000) are two cities that are larger than they feel and have crappy freeway infrastructure.

I'm trying to think of other cities that are larger than they feel: Norfolk, VA (1,707,000); Providence, RI (1,604,000); Grand Rapids, MI (1,017,000); Worcester, MA (927,000); Greenville, SC (851,000); McAllen, TX (816,000). How would you assess the freeway infrastructure in these places?

Old 02-20-2015, 01:17 AM

3,655 posts, read 4,599,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Michigan's roads are so bad they are getting a reputation as the decay state.
If they don't start fixing them soon then the state will suffer economically as companies will avoid the state or start leaving due to the huge risk and costs of transporting products.
You can't have a semi carrying a 100,000 pound load run over a huge pothole at freeway speeds and not expect something bad to happen.
Yep, but what do we do? we keep building infrastructure for people who decided to move halfway to the country. I say, if they want to live in the exburbs, then deal with it. It's like a mother who can't hardly take care of the kids she has now but keeps having more. STOP ALREADY!

Old 02-20-2015, 01:38 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,313,140 times
I hate to admit it, but yes, it does seem to matter.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:32 AM

2,034 posts, read 4,554,605 times
Case in point Louisiana cities with our very sparse highway networks.
people pass by my city of Lafayette on I10 from Houston and have no idea there is a 125k population place just south and a metro area approaching 700k.
its literally four simple cloverleaf interchanges and then youre past the city. If you take one of the major roads south though you quickly approach the urban center. Appearance wise, its a problem for the image of the city. Practically a hidden gem. The road networks are majorly outdated.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:40 AM

3,785 posts, read 6,519,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
Case in point Louisiana cities with our very sparse highway networks.
people pass by my city of Lafayette on I10 from Houston and have no idea there is a 125k population place just south and a metro area approaching 700k.
its literally four simple cloverleaf interchanges and then youre past the city. If you take one of the major roads south though you quickly approach the urban center. Appearance wise, its a problem for the image of the city. Practically a hidden gem. The road networks are majorly outdated.
Yes ! I passed through Lafayette for the first time on route to Houston and Lafayette did not feel like a CSA of over 60Pk in any shape form or fashion. The Lake Charles area felt larger paasing through.Both Mobile,Huntsville and Lafayette are similiar in CSA size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.