U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2010, 05:49 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,226,499 times

Advertisements

Cincinnati - a beautiful lady with a rough, gritty street edge. Usually plainclothes, practical and blue-collar, but beautiful nonetheless, and can really dress up for a night on the town. Is pessimistic about its future and taking challenging projects unlike her sisters Indianapolis, Columbus, and even Louisville. Sadly, she's race- and class-conscious and checks out "outsiders" moving in carefully.

Louisville - a beautiful lady with a rough, gritty street edge, but not as much as her sister, Cincinnati. Usually, plainclothes and practical, but really puts on the ritz with it comes to huge events like the Kentucky Derby. More open-minded and accepting of others based on race and class, but very cautious of outsiders. Has an odd inferiority/superiority complex which is demonstrated by constantly putting down her sisters, Lexington and Cincinnati.

Lexington - the prettiest lady of the three but with a thicker Southern accent. Fancies herself as being elegant and exclusive (heck, she even has the "Lexington Legends" baseball team), but in actuality she really is not afraid to wear overalls and boots with mud and bust out to Ke$ha in a bar on Saturday night. Very intelligent but more interested in the game of basketball. Has a very high opinion of herself and knows she is very beautiful, knowing that while she has a lot to offer, her bigger sisters, Louisville, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and Nashville, have more to offer in terms of entertainment and cuisine.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 08:07 AM

34,673 posts, read 33,676,768 times
NYC- High, noisy, dirty and smelly.

Los Angeles: Hmmmm, what's the people equivalent of too much traffic?

Washington DC: Crazy, smelly (to paraphrase Robert Duvall in Apocalypse Now "I love the smell of urine in the morning.").

Old 11-20-2010, 08:23 AM

453 posts, read 732,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Cincinnati - a beautiful lady with a rough, gritty street edge. Usually plainclothes, practical and blue-collar, but beautiful nonetheless, and can really dress up for a night on the town. Is pessimistic about its future and taking challenging projects unlike her sisters Indianapolis, Columbus, and even Louisville. Sadly, she's race- and class-conscious and checks out "outsiders" moving in carefully.

Louisville - a beautiful lady with a rough, gritty street edge, but not as much as her sister, Cincinnati. Usually, plainclothes and practical, but really puts on the ritz with it comes to huge events like the Kentucky Derby. More open-minded and accepting of others based on race and class, but very cautious of outsiders. Has an odd inferiority/superiority complex which is demonstrated by constantly putting down her sisters, Lexington and Cincinnati.

Lexington - the prettiest lady of the three but with a thicker Southern accent. Fancies herself as being elegant and exclusive (heck, she even has the "Lexington Legends" baseball team), but in actuality she really is not afraid to wear overalls and boots with mud and bust out to Ke$ha in a bar on Saturday night. Very intelligent but more interested in the game of basketball. Has a very high opinion of herself and knows she is very beautiful, knowing that while she has a lot to offer, her bigger sisters, Louisville, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and Nashville, have more to offer in terms of entertainment and cuisine.
I live in KY and I second this review!!! Very well written!!

Old 11-20-2010, 10:14 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,226,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
I live in KY and I second this review!!! Very well written!!
Thanks for the compliment!

I've lived in Kentucky my entire life and know a lot about the state. I've lived all over it but now am across the river from Cincinnati in N. Ky. for employment purposes. This area is okay, but I'm not digging it nearly as much as I thought I would.

I attended college in Louisville. Hated the city. Maybe if I took a job there my perspective would change b/c it would obviously be in a different context, but many of the people I have met and meet from there frankly irritate me.

I was raised near Lexington, as well as down in West KY. With Lexington, I've had some great times partying there, but I find the overall feeling of the city to be dull and sterile. When you're between the ages of 25 and 55, I don't see that the city really has that much to offer.

Lastly, the weather here sucks from late October through late March and sometimes even well into April. And where there's no vegetation on the hillsides and trees, it looks so barren and depressing.

Kentucky is a beautiful state with overall friendly people (except for N. Ky., Lou. and Lex.) and most of my family is here. However, I've interviewed for jobs over the last 1 1/2 years in four western states, some of which were really decent jobs. No offers, but I've not given up.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:28 PM

46 posts, read 179,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Detroit - A scrawny guy dressed in rags who apparently lives in a refrigerator box under an overpass. He is always talking about his glory days when he was rich and innovative. Every time you see him, he has fewer teeth and looks a little closer to death. Most people just pretend to not see him any more.

Brilliant!

Old 11-22-2010, 08:25 PM

8,988 posts, read 14,667,831 times
Houston - Tara, as in The United States of Tara. They are all here.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:53 PM

2,786 posts, read 5,675,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitehonestly View Post
Good topic,

San Francisco - Brunette. Overly educated-sounding voice (newswoman). Tattoo(s). Outdoorsy but not athletic. Druggie or used to be. Alpha granola. Worldly but would prefer to stay in CA. Wants to take underdogs under her wing. Flakey.

Pittsburgh - Pale, darkhaired lady with glasses. Smokes cigs. Conventional. Blue collar. Honest in a mellow way. Rough/raw/real. Scrappy in an endearing oldsoul way. Turns into another person after drinking (hehe). And of course, obsessed with the Steelers even though she forgets things about them easily.
Pittsburgh is the older lady who in the 80s was just down right nasty looking, but in the early 2000s went through some major plastic surgery, and it all turned out great. It's not terrible looking and fake.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:43 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,164,166 times
I heard this awhile ago. I'm paraphrasing but it went something like this:

In the northeast, you have the big, bold, arrogant older brother (NYC) that always gets its way.

Then you have the prima donna youngest child that always cries for attention and tells you how important it is but screams that it never gets enough attention (Boston).

Finally, you have Philadelphia, the middle child (not geographically, of course) who is mentally unstable but will always throw a punch in your defense.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:23 PM

4,023 posts, read 6,435,180 times
this thread

Old 12-16-2010, 05:13 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,020,155 times
Denver/Boulder....With a dispensory on about every corner, even in upscale fashionable hoods..A familiar face emerges.

If Cities Were People, How would you describe them?-hee.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or