U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 01:20 AM

8 posts, read 9,086 times

Advertisements

Alright I know this is a pretty broad question, but I am an explorer at heart and I am ready to move on to something new. I am really open to anywhere in the world. I am fluent in German and French and a bit of Japanese

I am from a small town in New England originally,I liked a lot of things, but I really wanted to move to a city because I hated being in the middle of nowhere.

For college I moved to Boston and went to BU for my B.S in Engineering, MIT for my M.S. and back to BU for my J.D. which certainly was a change. I have mixed feelings on Boston,but in general, I really like it. I hate a few things.

Things I am looking for

Night Life:: Boston closes at like 11am, 2am max. I hate it. I am late night type of guy. I had to travel across the city to get Chinese at 1am. Bars/Clubs close at 2am...Boston has no grime,like NYC to it I suppose.

Transportation: The T is subpar at best. It closes at 12:30am making it very hard to get home without at car. When you do ride the T, it is very slow and poorly designed. They blame it on the system being old...not an excuse. Transportation in and out the city should be good too.

Walking I want a city where I don't have to cross a highway to get some food. Even in Boston we have the MassPike and and several 6 lane roads that I feel like I am going to be killed. I don't mind traffic, just not a lot of fast traffic. I like the narrow street, few cars and stores and restaurants in square that I can walk about without worrying about traffic.

Culture I like a mix of old and new. I like the history of some old historical buildings and some a new always growing skyline. I want a city that lacks close to nothing. I don't want to not have a store,be skipped over for a concert. Good theaters, museums,music,sports...etc. I like diversity to some extent as well. It is interesting to see cultures mix and it helps the food. Finding a Italian place in Boston is impossible.... Green Space and Public Gardens are fantastic and one thing I love about Boston. I want to feel like I am in the city , but also feel like I have decently quiet space.

Overall Area I want a large city, that feels small. With areas with unique culture,but not isolated from each other. I am not a big fan of urban sprawl, but good transport can resolve that .Some place that is clean and relatively safe as well.

Science/Technology Economy This is pretty important. Obviously I am quite qualified, but I still worry. The concentration of technology and science companies and upstarts in the city. If not in the city, very close by. I have some work in the academic area, so decent universities in the area is important. This leads to high concentration of scientists...etc. I like a place where these areas are clearly visible and a integral part of the society. Healthcare is also important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 07:43 AM

21,197 posts, read 30,388,339 times
Given your criteria, background, and lack of borders I'd recommend Tokyo.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:48 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,319,838 times
How about Chicago?

Old 11-19-2010, 08:43 AM

56,653 posts, read 80,952,685 times
Maybe Buffalo, which has a nightlife that goes on until 4 am, has plenty of colleges and healthcare is a leading industry. There is public transportation, including a subway/rail line. You would probably like neighborhoods like Elmwood Village, Allentown, North Buffalo(inc. Hertel Ave.) and Downtown. For your ultradiversity fix, Toronto is a 2 hour drive, if that. There is diversity in the Buffalo neighborhoods mentioned though.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:43 PM

In my opinion, Buffalo is still a downgrade from Boston.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:20 PM

I've consider Chicago, I haven't been there in a very long time. What areas of Chicago would be best?

Old 11-20-2010, 02:51 PM

908 posts, read 1,567,180 times
Philadelphia seems perfect.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:01 PM

5,522 posts, read 12,290,708 times
How can you not find Italian food in Boston? Ever heard of the North End?

Honestly based on all your criteria, it sounds like Boston is your best bet. Most of the things you complain about are worse in other cities.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:20 PM

30 posts, read 50,212 times
Buffalo Ny meets all those needs, bars close at 4am, great town/city parks. There are quite a few museums, I am not sure on public transportation though

Old 11-24-2010, 03:24 PM

133 posts, read 348,568 times
Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or