U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Whats the best place I should consider given my priorities and reviews/biases?
Gainesville 1 10.00%
Tampa 0 0%
Chicago – Oak Ridge, Park Lawn, and Evanston 3 30.00%
Albuquerque 0 0%
Phoenix 1 10.00%
Tucson 2 20.00%
Oakland 1 10.00%
L.A. 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 08:14 AM

453 posts, read 733,229 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I am a 27 year old Midwest medical student, soon to be resident. I seek the knowledge of those who are better traveled/lived in more places than I have. I want to break out of the cold midwest and head out to some warmer temps with career goals in mind.

Matching into a residency is a complex process, but basically boils down to ranking your preference of programs you would like to attend. There is an 85% chance that I will get my top three choices. Help me make my choices? Give me some perspectives?

I will of course have a job (hence the move), making about $45-50K through my residency program. I am currently single and don’t plan to get hitched before I move.
Of course everyone’s move is personal and multifactorial, and here are my priorities:
1) Career prospects post graduation – all the programs/places listed fit my career goals and I will enjoy the training and become the physician I want to become…perhaps a few exceptions that are mentioned.
2)Weather – as superficial as it may seem, I like warm weather. I would take 100 degrees with high humidity vs. 0 degree weather any day! 70-85 daily high would be ideal for me. Change of seasons would be nice, but not a must.
3)City/Culture/Nature – I would like to live in a decent size city. 250K +? I have been there done that with college towns. NYC, SF, Chicago fascinate me. I am young, single and social..I would love to meet some singles (Indian-Asian) also. I love hiking/biking/outdoor stuff/tennis
4)Buying a home – I would like to build wealth instead of throwing it away on rent. A good market would be nice. I don’t know much about the real estate market at all. Any help would be appreciated. Apparently banks offer residents good rates.

My Major choices:
-Gainesville –Program 5/5, good weather, it is a college town (125K)...like I said, been there done that. Not sure on the nature. Real estate?
- Tampa – Program 4.5/5, great weather, beautiful roads over water, water sports, decent sized city with good singles scene?, nature? Real estate? Single Indians?
- Chicago – Oak Ridge, Park Lawn, and Evanston. I will NOT BE WORKING in the city. Chicago is just amazing and I might just be OK with putting up with the weather if I could still enjoy the city proper from those suburbs? Could I live in the city and have good public transport to the hospitals? Programs 3.5-4.5/5. Not too worried about real estate. I have lots of friends that live IN the city that I would want to visit when I had time. Lots of Indians in the Chicago area.
- Albuquerque -5/5 program. As warm as you can get with change of seasons I think. Probably not much of a city scene at all? Never been there and won't have a chance to experience the town. My most mysterious/interesting choice by far. No Indian singles either.
- Phoenix – Programs 3.5-4/5. I will be in the heart of the city. I have never been to Phoenix. Looking forward to visiting/interviewing. I like that it is close to Vegas, San Diego, LA. Don’t know about real estate or the singles scene. Mild Winters.
- Tucson – 5/5 program, smaller town, visited many times before, friends in the area, could play tennis every night, etc. Affordable housing? Good market? Not great on culture/meeting Asian-Indian singles. But close to Phoenix I guess. Love the hikes to seven falls, etc. Probably one of my top choices right now. Mild Winters
- Oakland– 4/5 Program, very interested in the bay area. I have read about the bay area weather on here...I know it is weird and different… usually warmer in Oakland? The city (SF) just fascinates me..I know I will have to commute. It is the cultural epicenter to a lot of things it seems like..Giants, Haight-Ashburry-ness, beautiful architecture, silicon valley, TONS of single Indians, great food, close to Yosemite and Big Sur, etc. As you can see, I am a bit biased on the area…and the current gf/soon to be broken up is moving there. Of course real estate is out of the question here. One of my top choices.
-LA - USC hospital area , Pasadena, and Long Beach– 3.5-4.5/5 Programs, great weather, great beaches, tons of Indians? I wouldn’t be able to do real estate here obviously.

Again, I am 27, single, would like to meet single Asian-Indian Americans, would like to live in a fun/social city for my age, etc. Art, a nice bar scene for my age, nature, etc. would all be icing on the cake.
I will be in these cities for a minimum of 3 years and I am the kind of person that will make the best of any situation and I can see myself making the best of any city for 3 years.

Thanks for the perspectives and advice in advance!
(If you are curious..took me 17 min to make this thread post..ha!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 12:22 AM

766 posts, read 1,629,903 times
Honestly, you would have a ball in Chicago and Los Angeles. I'm biased towards really big cities. Those two can give you so much options and you can meet a wide variety of people. Either Chicago or Los Angeles!!!! )

Old 11-21-2010, 04:37 AM

453 posts, read 733,229 times
Once again, I will be in the suburbs of Chicago though...will I still be able to enjoy the big city?
Anyone know chicago that well?

Old 11-21-2010, 06:35 AM

21,195 posts, read 30,379,606 times
If I were in your boat so to speak, I would be in a toss-up between Chicago or Oakland. You'll be in a financial situation soon enough where you'll be able to afford vacations to warm places or even a second home/"vacation home" in the future. Of course once you're finished with school/residency you could always head someplace warmer. FYI, I don't think real estate is out of the question for you on the Oakland side of the Bay area. Areas like Walnut Creek, Richmond or San Leandro could work for you.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:53 AM

5,522 posts, read 12,289,371 times
Regarding Chicago, I think you mean Park Ridge (Lutheran General), Oak Lawn (Christ Hospital), and Evanston. The three suburbs are, unfortunately, not particularly close to each other as one is north of the city, the other northwest, and the third southwest. Probably the best place centrally located to all three hospitals is somewhere near downtown Chicago. This will entail pretty long drives to all three of the hospitals, but if you're working typical resident hours, hopefully you'll beat most of the morning rush.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:14 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,128,820 times
I think you need to ask yourself 2 questions:

1. Where is my best career option after my residency?
2. Where will I be happiest for 3 years based on the above criteria?

For #1: My instinct says you will make a lot more money in major cities. There is a larger market for physicians. But I am not a medical professional so this might be totally wrong.

For #2: Based on your above criteria

Gainesville- Warm weather and low cost of living. The problem with Gainesville is just what you said, it is a college town. There are not many Indian/South Asian singles either. You will find yourself bored quickly especially if you want a major city.

Albuquerque- Decent weather, although winters are very cool because it is the high desert, and summers are warm but the highest temps are in the high 80s. There is not much cultural stuff to do and the city is very suburban. Probably not a lot of Indian/South Asian single folks either.

Tucson- It is a growing city with great weather and low cost of living. I am not sure if there is a large Indian/South Asian population. The cultural stuff is a bit lacking compared to Phoenix.

Tampa- Lots of Indian/South Asian folks (but compared to Chicago not really). Good weather, but humid and low cost of living. I liked Tampa, but was not impressed with it. The social stuff is really spread out although they do have a lot of beaches. I prefer Miami.

Phoenix- Phoenix is awesome. It is a large city that is still developing. Low cost of living with all urban amenities one could need. Lots of Indians/South Asians. Lots of singles period. Tempe, Scottsdale, and downtown Phoenix are all nice.

Oakland- Lots of Indians/South Asians. Due to the universities and research centers, many many people on your wavelength. High cost of living.

LA- Decent cost of living depending where. Massive city with all different types of people.

Chicago- I have a lot of Indian/South Asian friends in Chicago. Not including the suburbs, most are downtown. There are also a lot of Indian folks on Devon Avenue on the far north side of the city. Decent cost of living.

Evanston, Oak Lawn, and Park Ridge are all suburbs. Evanston is more urban but doesn't have the nightlife of the city. Park Ridge borders the NW side of the city and there are CTA L stops near Park Ridge, but if you live on the NW side, you can buy a used car and drive it. Oak Lawn is the furthest from the city and no good public transit.

There is METRA which is a train system going from the suburbs to the city, but cannot be relied upon for nightlife. For nightlife, buses and the CTA.

If you have a car, you can live on the North or NW side and commute to Evanston and Park Ridge. Oak Lawn is a further and you would need to live in the South Loop or Near West Side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or