U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-20-2010, 05:14 PM
 
2 posts, read 27,497 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

I am a young gay male looking to relocate from New Jersey. I like it here, but it is too expensive, and too cold in the winter. I wanted to move to a southern city because it would be cheaper and warmer. I was looking at Atlanta, hearing it was gay-friendly. Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2010, 05:26 PM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 22,955,873 times
Reputation: 6679
As Atlanta was mentioned Dallas is said to have a fairly large gay population as does New Orleans. Lexington, Kentucky now has a gay mayor and Houston a lesbian one. Not a major city, I don't think, but Carrboro, North Carolina was like the first place in the South with a gay mayor and the town apparently grants domestic-partnership rights to same-sex couples. Carrboro is in the "Research Triangle."

The following lists some towns with relatively high percentages of gay male couples and some are in the South. Standouts include Atlanta, Dallas, Galveston, and some Florida cities if you count them. Asheville, North Carolina is also on the list and NC is about the only state in the South that doesn't have a "Defense of Marriage Amendment" or equivalent.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c18.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2010, 07:04 PM
 
21,187 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Reputation: 19614
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcr1 View Post
I am a young gay male looking to relocate from New Jersey. I like it here, but it is too expensive, and too cold in the winter. I wanted to move to a southern city because it would be cheaper and warmer. I was looking at Atlanta, hearing it was gay-friendly. Any other suggestions?
What are you looking for? Do you want nightlife/clubbing or a more well-rounded existence? If the former, Atlanta is probably your best bet. Atlanta's gay scene has a tendency to be superficial and not the friendliest IMO. If you're looking for someplace with less pretense you might check out Tampa/St Petersburg. It's inexpensive, surprisingly cultured, friendly, and has a great social scene as well.

Tampa, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Petersburg,_Florida

Gay Tampa - Gay And Lesbian Travel Guide - GayTravel.com - GayTravel.com

http://www.gaytravel.com/guide-to/st...sburg-florida/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2010, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Rome, Georgia
2,706 posts, read 3,335,155 times
Reputation: 1911
Not being gay, I can only speak from my own experience, but I would say you won't have trouble anywhere you go in the south. I live in a city of 35k in the foothills of the Appalachians in Northwest Georgia, and I know there to be a sizable gay community. I have never heard of any sort of problems. Don't believe everything that you read. Historical problems in the south were generally caused by small extremist groups, and you know how we like to sensationalize things in this country. No, no. Things are quite different in the south these days, contrary to popular outsider belief. We are all very much more alike than different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2010, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Silverthorne, Colorado
884 posts, read 1,522,671 times
Reputation: 737
I don't know much about when it comes to smaller cities, but for larger ones there's Dallas, Houston, Austin (not really south, but still in the area), Atlanta, Asheville, New Orleans, "Research Triangle"...

Really in any large metropolitan area you should be okay. Perhaps do some research on Savannah or if someone could tell you about Savannah? That seems like it would be a good one but I personally don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2010, 08:03 PM
 
Location: Florida
4,186 posts, read 10,297,465 times
Reputation: 1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Not being gay, I can only speak from my own experience, but I would say you won't have trouble anywhere you go in the south. I live in a city of 35k in the foothills of the Appalachians in Northwest Georgia, and I know there to be a sizable gay community. I have never heard of any sort of problems. Don't believe everything that you read. Historical problems in the south were generally caused by small extremist groups, and you know how we like to sensationalize things in this country. No, no. Things are quite different in the south these days, contrary to popular outsider belief. We are all very much more alike than different.
agreed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 07:04 AM
 
2 posts, read 27,497 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
What are you looking for? Do you want nightlife/clubbing or a more well-rounded existence? If the former, Atlanta is probably your best bet. Atlanta's gay scene has a tendency to be superficial and not the friendliest IMO. If you're looking for someplace with less pretense you might check out Tampa/St Petersburg. It's inexpensive, surprisingly cultured, friendly, and has a great social scene as well.

Tampa, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

St. Petersburg, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gay Tampa - Gay And Lesbian Travel Guide - GayTravel.com - GayTravel.com

Gay St. Petersburg - Gay and Lesbian Travel Guides - GayTravel.com - GayTravel.com
Actually, I would like a city with good nightlife. Atlanta sounds like it would be a great place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 08:22 AM
 
2,414 posts, read 4,990,111 times
Reputation: 1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcr1 View Post
Actually, I would like a city with good nightlife. Atlanta sounds like it would be a great place
What makes you think Tampa Bay doesn't have good nightlife?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 08:49 AM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,322,731 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
What makes you think Tampa Bay doesn't have good nightlife?
Andrewcr1 didn't say or even imply that Tampa Bay doesn't have good nightlife. But the person putting in a plug for the Tampa Bay area did start off by saying, "Do you want nightlife/clubbing or a more well-rounded existence? If the former, Atlanta is probably your best bet."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 08:56 AM
 
457 posts, read 1,147,342 times
Reputation: 270
Houston or Atlanta. Houston has some very established gay neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top