Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2011, 09:01 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,466,639 times

Advertisements

Detroit
Minneapolis/StP
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 10:07 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
My list would be similar to OyCrumbler and slengel, but slightly different. Here's mine, in no exact order(just their tier):

---------
Minneapolis-Saint Paul
Saint Louis
Detroit
Cleveland-Akron
---------
Indianapolis
Columbus(for whatever reason, in a weird way, I've always oddly thought of Indy and Columbus as cousin cities)
Cleveland
Kansas City
Milwaukee
--------------
Omaha
Des Moines
Wichita
Grand Rapids
Sioux Falls, SD
Madison, WI
Fargo
Bloomington, IN
Quad Cities
Green Bay
Lincoln, NE
Rochester, MN
Appleton, WI
I think you put Cleveland on there twice instead of Cincinnati. Also, I think your lower tier has some cities that I wouldn't include (Sioux Falls, Bloomington, Fargo, Appleton) whereas I would include places like Flint, MI; Peoria, IL,; Toledo, OH; as well as some of the smaller state capitals like Lansing, MI; Springfield, IL; and perhaps Topeka, KS.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:34 AM

976 posts, read 2,241,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Detroit
Minneapolis/StP
Cincinnati
Cleveland
another person who only lists cities he's been to, lol. st. louis has a bigger gdp than any city in ohio.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:56 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,466,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
another person who only lists cities he's been to, lol. st. louis has a bigger gdp than any city in ohio.
Wow, I didn't realize that all those times I was in St. Louis (including just last summer for a Saturday Cardinals-Brewers game), that I actually wasn't there at all

Old 02-09-2011, 08:19 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
Minneapolis
Indianapolis
Columbus
Detroit

Old 02-10-2011, 12:02 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,366,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I think you put Cleveland on there twice instead of Cincinnati. Also, I think your lower tier has some cities that I wouldn't include (Sioux Falls, Bloomington, Fargo, Appleton) whereas I would include places like Flint, MI; Peoria, IL,; Toledo, OH; as well as some of the smaller state capitals like Lansing, MI; Springfield, IL; and perhaps Topeka, KS.
Yeah, putting Cincinnati instead of Cleveland was what I meant to do in my 2nd tier, but didn't catch that error in time after I posted. And yes, I wasn't very sure which cities to put in my 3rd tier, since there are so many you can choose from. I probably should've just skipped doing the 3rd tier, lol....

Old 02-12-2011, 12:58 AM

2,785 posts, read 6,628,630 times
Quote:
What is it with you always trying to compare St. Louis to Cleveland or Cincinnati? No one here cares...

Old 02-12-2011, 01:02 AM

2,785 posts, read 6,628,630 times
Quote:
by 1870 st. louis left cincinnati in the dust and never looked back. to say that st. louis doesn't deserve a prominent place in the history of the midwest is absolutely ridiculous.
How did it "leave it in the dust?" Because they have always been very similar and on two very distinct levels of growth and prosperity.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:17 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
How did it "leave it in the dust?" Because they have always been very similar and on two very distinct levels of growth and prosperity.
Maybe in GDP...

St. Louis Metro area is $128 Billion
Cincinnati Metro area is $97 Billion

and Cleveland's is $101 Billion, if anyone was wondering

http://www.usmayors.org/metroeconomies/0110/charts.pdf

Old 02-12-2011, 06:29 AM

976 posts, read 2,241,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
by 1870, st. louis had surpassed cincinnati in population. by 1890, st. louis's population had nearly doubled that of cincinnati. by 1910, cincinnati had dropped out of the top 10 cities, where st. louis remained for another 50 years. st. louis continued to skyrocket in population, peaking at 857,000 in 1950. cincinnati peaked the same year with just 504,000. that's a big difference. the two cities really weren't in the same league throughout most of the 20th century. politically and socially, cincinnati has always been and remains to this day far more conservative than st. louis, making it an anomaly among major midwestern cities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest...tion_by_decade
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.