U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-14-2012, 11:17 PM
 
14,752 posts, read 28,624,949 times
Reputation: 8780

Advertisements

Minneapolis/St Paul MN (sort of a regional hub for a segment of the Midwest and sort of a "start up" place)
Detroit MI (obvious, seat of the auto industry and allied industries)
Saint Louis MO (the biggest player in the lower Midwest)
Cleveland OH (the most important of the Ohio trio, plus a navigable lakefront location)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-15-2012, 01:27 AM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
12,201 posts, read 10,422,845 times
Reputation: 11215
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Minneapolis/St Paul MN (sort of a regional hub for a segment of the Midwest and sort of a "start up" place)
Detroit MI (obvious, seat of the auto industry and allied industries)
Saint Louis MO (the biggest player in the lower Midwest)
Cleveland OH (the most important of the Ohio trio, plus a navigable lakefront location)
I agree with this list. Some may argue against Cleveland, favoring Columbus or Indianapolis due to their growth and current economies, but Cleveland is still a hub and culturally more significant than its neighbors (sans Detroit).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2012, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Chicago(Northside)
3,719 posts, read 6,097,261 times
Reputation: 1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
The St. Louis metro has some 600,000 more people than Cincinnati, plus two rail transit lines.
Population and transit has nothing to do with the subject most important cities after chicago. While we are on the subject cincinnati has a very fast growing metro in fact it has one of the two fastest growing counties in ohio and we are currently building a streetcar system copying off portlant oregon's streetcar. Anyway getting back on track we have lots of major headquaters here in cincinnati including

Proctor and Gamble
Rumpke
united dairy farms
kroger
Big boy restaurant
Kings Island(one of the largest amusement Parks in the country has more rides then six flags)
Luxottica retail(operates stores like sunglass hut or lenscrafters)
Cincinnati childrens hospital(Named one of the best childrens hospital in america)
Fifth third bank
and so much much more more more more more....haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2012, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 8,319,838 times
Reputation: 4270
^I'm going to have to ask for some statistics to back up the "fast population growth in Cincinnati" claim. This is news to me, but admit I may not know a ton about Cincy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2012, 06:49 PM
 
Location: Chicago(Northside)
3,719 posts, read 6,097,261 times
Reputation: 1651
US census says that cincinnati metro has 5,623 new residents in the city and is one of the only metros in ohio growing. Cincinnati also has the biggest metro in the state of ohio with 2.14 million residents and it largest populated county is hamilton. Although Hamiliton is not growing very much but warren and butler and clermont all next to hamilton is growing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2012, 10:47 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 8,319,838 times
Reputation: 4270
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
US census says that cincinnati metro has 5,623 new residents in the city and is one of the only metros in ohio growing. Cincinnati also has the biggest metro in the state of ohio with 2.14 million residents and it largest populated county is hamilton. Although Hamiliton is not growing very much but warren and butler and clermont all next to hamilton is growing
So do you not feel that Cleveland and Akron are one metro? That's okay, but if you agree they are then you'd realize that the region has closer to 3 million people.

Also, Cincy gained a bit over 5.5K people.....Is that the city or the metro? Over what period of time (a year, a decade, etc.)??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2012, 06:40 AM
 
976 posts, read 1,880,922 times
Reputation: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
US census says that cincinnati metro has 5,623 new residents in the city and is one of the only metros in ohio growing. Cincinnati also has the biggest metro in the state of ohio with 2.14 million residents and it largest populated county is hamilton. Although Hamiliton is not growing very much but warren and butler and clermont all next to hamilton is growing
cleveland-akron consolidated metropolitan area is much larger than cincinnati, with something very close to the 3 million mark. st. louis is also nearly 3 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2012, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
12,201 posts, read 10,422,845 times
Reputation: 11215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
So do you not feel that Cleveland and Akron are one metro? That's okay, but if you agree they are then you'd realize that the region has closer to 3 million people.

Also, Cincy gained a bit over 5.5K people.....Is that the city or the metro? Over what period of time (a year, a decade, etc.)??
Cincinnati (the city) fell under 300k on the 2010 Census for the first time since 1890, and the 2011 city estimate puts it at a further loss of ~300 people. Most likely cali is referring to the metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2012, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Chicago(Northside)
3,719 posts, read 6,097,261 times
Reputation: 1651
Cincinnati metro is growing at a pretty good rate, their is alot of connectivity going on between dayton and cincinnati, if we both combine we will also be at the 3 million mark.Also by 2020 we wouldnt even need to dayton to make us 3 million, we would already be at 3 millio on our on passing cities such as st. louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2012, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Chicago(Northside)
3,719 posts, read 6,097,261 times
Reputation: 1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Cincinnati (the city) fell under 300k on the 2010 Census for the first time since 1890, and the 2011 city estimate puts it at a further loss of ~300 people. Most likely cali is referring to the metro.
Yes i am referring to the metro!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top