U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 06:39 PM

5,965 posts, read 6,578,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Milwaukee stands alone, and "does" Milwaukee, just fine. No concerns there. Milwaukee is hosting the Democratic National Convention...not Chicago. It still benefits from proximity to Chicago, though, in everyday life.
Yep. But the way it works in Chicago is we’re happy about it. The two cities in IMHO have more of a cooperative relationship than competitive. We are tied together in a lot of ways.

I thnk because one city is a huge global metropolitan lies and the other a decent sized large American city does not create rivalry. Neither feel threatened by the other

And the comparison of size and stature was by no means a better/worse thing. The two compliment each other, yin and yan. The dynamic works well: Chicago’s offerings are extensive and world class, but come at a price: very crowded, very expensive, far greater hassle. Milwaukee’s offerings are fewer to Chicago’s, of course, but Milwaukee gives an accesability that puts Chicago to shame

Lake Michigan ties the two together in so many ways. In some sense (and again no put down), Milwaukee can be scene as a smaller version of Chicago. I think I mentioned this in a previous comment: the cities share a similiar geography: both on flat plains (Chicago being the flatter of the two, bith face east to the lake, both have a river carrying their city’s name, downtowns are in the center east parts of town, both spread out north, west and south. Street names have a degree of overlap. There are no waterfronts of any city thatare more alike than Chicago and Milwaukee. Going back to Lake Michigan, the essential, works its magic on both

Chicago would never have had its magnificense and presence without the lake.

So, yea, Enean, Milwaukee does stand alone and that is fine with us in Chicago. We like your city. And as one in nirth suburban Chicago, between the two, I can tell you folks in the area access both cities. I don’t think Chicago could ever reached its status without the open waters of Lake Michigan. To me, it gives the city a sense of coastal

Milwaukee too would be impossible without the lake. since the thread is about midwest cities outside Chicago, Milwaukee has an advantage over the others because of the lake creating an energy that affects downtown area and up and down. The lakefront. The lakefront gives Milw the feel of being a larger city than it is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 08:43 PM

4,894 posts, read 3,019,870 times
Important could mean so many things.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:36 PM

2,052 posts, read 1,038,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Yep. But the way it works in Chicago is we’re happy about it. The two cities in IMHO have more of a cooperative relationship than competitive. We are tied together in a lot of ways.

I thnk because one city is a huge global metropolitan lies and the other a decent sized large American city does not create rivalry. Neither feel threatened by the other

And the comparison of size and stature was by no means a better/worse thing. The two compliment each other, yin and yan. The dynamic works well: Chicago’s offerings are extensive and world class, but come at a price: very crowded, very expensive, far greater hassle. Milwaukee’s offerings are fewer to Chicago’s, of course, but Milwaukee gives an accesability that puts Chicago to shame

Lake Michigan ties the two together in so many ways. In some sense (and again no put down), Milwaukee can be scene as a smaller version of Chicago. I think I mentioned this in a previous comment: the cities share a similiar geography: both on flat plains (Chicago being the flatter of the two, bith face east to the lake, both have a river carrying their city’s name, downtowns are in the center east parts of town, both spread out north, west and south. Street names have a degree of overlap. There are no waterfronts of any city thatare more alike than Chicago and Milwaukee. Going back to Lake Michigan, the essential, works its magic on both

Chicago would never have had its magnificense and presence without the lake.

So, yea, Enean, Milwaukee does stand alone and that is fine with us in Chicago. We like your city. And as one in nirth suburban Chicago, between the two, I can tell you folks in the area access both cities. I don’t think Chicago could ever reached its status without the open waters of Lake Michigan. To me, it gives the city a sense of coastal

Milwaukee too would be impossible without the lake. since the thread is about midwest cities outside Chicago, Milwaukee has an advantage over the others because of the lake creating an energy that affects downtown area and up and down. The lakefront. The lakefront gives Milw the feel of being a larger city than it is
I agree completely with you. I don't think people in other Midwest cities get it, but they don't have to. It is what it is, and that's, actually, a win for both cities.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:59 PM
Status: "Warrior fan no matter the roster" (set 2 days ago)

12,222 posts, read 10,454,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Important could mean so many things.
It could be economically or culturally speaking....either way I think most people choosing Detroit, Twin Cities, St. Louis and Cleveland (in that order) are mostly correct. Detroit, especially as a region and not just a city, has been the second-most important Midwestern city for over 100 years. Minneapolis & St Paul is a super-regional metropolis of the country's upper north, with great economic and cultural viability, while St Louis and Cleveland are relevant hubs despite their economic decline of the past 50 years. Columbus & Indianapolis are probably on a tier just below them....fast-growing with good economies and youthful demographic, but still smaller metro-wise and not much happening outside of sports and the bar/restaurant scene.

Old 07-25-2019, 04:53 AM

AFTER Chicago, what are the next four most important Midwest cities?

Evanston, Oak Park, Naperville, Lake Forest

Why?

just because

Old 07-25-2019, 07:15 AM
Status: "Warrior fan no matter the roster" (set 2 days ago)

12,222 posts, read 10,454,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
AFTER Chicago, what are the next four most important Midwest cities?

Evanston, Oak Park, Naperville, Lake Forest

Why?

just because
We have a big shot here.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:29 AM

4,223 posts, read 2,857,039 times
The consensus next two are Detroit and MSP, whatever order you want to put them in...

The final two is in serious contention. I think St. Louos has to be one of them, though not necessarily the next one. The nod for the other spot almost assuredly goes to an Ohio city, it just depends on how you view the order of the 3 C's as to who gets that spot...

Old Today, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
We have a big shot here.
not a serious one; just a little joke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.