Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 08:11 PM

24 posts, read 44,269 times

Advertisements

Healthwise do people thrive in a four season climate ? Statistically is there less incidence of disease in a particular climate ? Setting aside genetics, diet, lifestyle, etc. is there a particular climate conducive to good health ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 08:26 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,269,386 times
For physical health I would tend towards colder climate and/or regions further up north.
For mental health I would lean towards warmer climate and/or regions further down south.

Of course this is very general speaking and as with most things moderation is key.
Mediterranean climate is the best IMHO.
But I'm sure there are statistic which favor the Scandinavian countries when it comes to health and overall life expectancy.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:43 PM

481 posts, read 417,644 times
Outside of obvious climate effects, such as fair skin in extremely sunny areas leading to skin cancer, or darker skin in low sunlight areas leading to Vitamin D deficiency, or severe weather presenting a physical threat, it's honestly hard to say. Mediterranean peoples live a long time, which is often attributed to their diet, but also probably their warmer climate favoring outside activities, but Northeast Asian peoples also live a long time in strong 4-season climates, and this could also be attributed to their diets. Of course, there's a plethora of other factors that are likely far more important, but you said you didn't want to discuss those.

Honestly, I believe the healthiest climate is the one you love. The one you feel the most home in, and the one that relieves the most stress. Some people enjoy the hearty summer day to stroll outside. Others might enjoy frequent clouds and rains to soothe them of their stresses. Some people are more energized by the dynamics of changing seasons, while others enjoy the focus of fewer, longer seasons. Finding an optimal climate is a journey everyone should undertake. If someone is resentful or bored of their current climate, even if it's a stable one, it probably has subtle, far-reaching effects on their activities and interactions that shape their life in profound ways.

Of course, I think a climate that allows you to go outside and get a bit of exercise is important, but unless you are in a ruthless desert or the ice-locked arctic circle, I don't see why you can't walk outside in most weather.

You mention disease, and it is often speculated that infections increase in the winter due to people staying more indoors, thus being in closer contact and subsequently easing the transmission of disease, but this is more a human issue than a weather one.

Old 07-27-2019, 01:59 AM

29,892 posts, read 18,721,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksdog View Post
Healthwise do people thrive in a four season climate ? Statistically is there less incidence of disease in a particular climate ? Setting aside genetics, diet, lifestyle, etc. is there a particular climate conducive to good health ?
Based on longevity in the USA, I would say Hawaii and Cali (mild temps) are the healthiest. Colder climates are healthier than hot and humid climates.

Old 07-27-2019, 06:11 AM

26,901 posts, read 43,406,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Based on longevity in the USA, I would say Hawaii and Cali (mild temps) are the healthiest. Colder climates are healthier than hot and humid climates.
I would disagree given the physical hazards that snow/ice present on an everyday basis throughout winter.

Old 07-27-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would disagree given the physical hazards that snow/ice present on an everyday basis throughout winter.
I would have thought that too but the states with the shortest lifespan averages are all in the high humidity deep south.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:44 AM

481 posts, read 417,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I would have thought that too but the states with the shortest lifespan averages are all in the high humidity deep south.
You can't really make that comparison at all. It's ignoring socioeconomics, access to healthcare, quality of life, diet of that region, etc. Climate is the one of the last things on the list of importance when comparing region with lifespan, but OP didn't want to talk about that.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
You can't really make that comparison at all. It's ignoring socioeconomics, access to healthcare, quality of life, diet of that region, etc. Climate is the one of the last things on the list of importance when comparing region with lifespan, but OP didn't want to talk about that.
Well I agree those are all factors but the question was only the healthiest climate....

Old 07-28-2019, 08:41 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,339,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
Outside of obvious climate effects, such as fair skin in extremely sunny areas leading to skin cancer, or darker skin in low sunlight areas leading to Vitamin D deficiency, or severe weather presenting a physical threat, it's honestly hard to say. Mediterranean peoples live a long time, which is often attributed to their diet, but also probably their warmer climate favoring outside activities, but Northeast Asian peoples also live a long time in strong 4-season climates, and this could also be attributed to their diets. Of course, there's a plethora of other factors that are likely far more important, but you said you didn't want to discuss those.

Honestly, I believe the healthiest climate is the one you love. The one you feel the most home in, and the one that relieves the most stress. Some people enjoy the hearty summer day to stroll outside. Others might enjoy frequent clouds and rains to soothe them of their stresses. Some people are more energized by the dynamics of changing seasons, while others enjoy the focus of fewer, longer seasons. Finding an optimal climate is a journey everyone should undertake. If someone is resentful or bored of their current climate, even if it's a stable one, it probably has subtle, far-reaching effects on their activities and interactions that shape their life in profound ways.

Of course, I think a climate that allows you to go outside and get a bit of exercise is important, but unless you are in a ruthless desert or the ice-locked arctic circle, I don't see why you can't walk outside in most weather.

You mention disease, and it is often speculated that infections increase in the winter due to people staying more indoors, thus being in closer contact and subsequently easing the transmission of disease, but this is more a human issue than a weather one.
I agree. I moved from So. California soon after high school, never to return. Spent my subsequent years in a colder climate during college, post grad and job. At my recent high school reunion (30th) there was an astounding number of skin cancer deaths in my class. My brother moved to AZ and Hawaii and looks so much older because of the constant sun. Not sure I would agree with the mild weater being definitively healthier, maybe mentally for sure for some but for me a winter trip will cure whatever ails me in that department.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I agree. I moved from So. California soon after high school, never to return. Spent my subsequent years in a colder climate during college, post grad and job. At my recent high school reunion (30th) there was an astounding number of skin cancer deaths in my class. My brother moved to AZ and Hawaii and looks so much older because of the constant sun. Not sure I would agree with the mild weater being definitively healthier, maybe mentally for sure for some but for me a winter trip will cure whatever ails me in that department.
Yeah but Hawaii has the longest average lifespan of any state and California is second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.