U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 11:25 PM

4,079 posts, read 4,135,970 times

Advertisements

Which is better for overall health, lifestyle, peace of mind, etc.? I have a family member thinking of relocating to either from back east. Thanks.

Tucson I can say is NOT utopia nor healthy or safe, etc. But I wonder if Durango being that it is desert southwest & its problems too like pollution, crime, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 11:28 PM

7,379 posts, read 13,358,100 times
I think Durango is a great town. It's close to skiing and great hikes, as well as interesting places to visit for the weekend that are well within striking distance.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:28 AM

4,079 posts, read 4,135,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I think Durango is a great town. It's close to skiing and great hikes, as well as interesting places to visit for the weekend that are well within striking distance.
I agree, & from what I've seen of my time in AZ, I'd much rather be in CO myself (I also may consider a move there someday soon too). The government, the lifestyle, the people, etc. far outclass (by & large) the dump that AZ is becoming more & more daily. Ok, thanks.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:42 AM

2,537 posts, read 8,128,986 times
The two towns couldn't be more different. Tucson is a solid desert southwest city with a large population, plus all the conveniences (shopping malls, top medical facilities, etc...) and issues (crime, traffic, etc...) that come along with being a good sized city. Durango, despite being near the Four Corners, is much more of a typical Colorado mountain town than it is a desert southwest town. It is quite small compared to Durango and much colder and snowier, though it is considerably milder than most other mountain towns in Colorado. Its location is pretty isolated from any good sized cities, which is probably its biggest detractor overall. I personally love Durango, but that kind of "relative isolation" is not for everyone, particularly for folks from the east coast where cities and towns are often quite close to each other.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:16 AM

21,206 posts, read 30,412,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
But I wonder if Durango being that it is desert southwest has its problems too like pollution, crime, etc.
Nope.

Durango has clean air, sunshine, no/very low crime and overall it's a great place to live.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:14 PM

53 posts, read 186,848 times
I have strongly considered both cities as we can move anywhere now that my husband works from home. Durango is lovely but small and COLD. Housing is very expensive. We are leaning towards Tucson as I prefer the heat. If you have any specific questions about Durango I will try to answer them.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:36 PM

42,837 posts, read 79,101,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Durango being that it is desert southwest
What kind of a joke is THAT?!

I wouldn't live there, but Durango is a cute little town to visit.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:27 PM

18,589 posts, read 19,564,777 times
IWe liked Durango as a place to visit in the summer, but at 6500 ft elevation it can get kinda tough in the winters.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:22 PM

619 posts, read 1,508,780 times
Tucson has almost everything durango has its just to close to the border for me.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:32 PM

2,627 posts, read 2,583,561 times
You couldn't have picked two more different choices.

Durango is a beautiful small town in the mountains. At 6,500+ feet, they have serious winters, with cold weather and 70+ inches of snow a year. If skiing and hiking are of interest, that's the place. But, the nearest town of size is probably Albuquerque, 3-4 hours away in decent weather. We know folks who live outside Durango that drive into Albuquerque once a month to shop. Like said above, property is expensive there.

Tucson is a good sized city, with all the good and that brings. It's a serious desert climate, with the high temps (long spells of 100+), small amounts of rain and the related vegetation. Property values vary across the board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or