Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 05:45 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
That is still a far cry from 32 F. My fact still stands that it almost never goes below 60 F and if it does, only for a couple days. I consider Hawaii as well as south Florida an expensive tropical paradise
I don't doubt that Hawaii has a great climate. In fact I was in Ft. Lauderdale this winter and I thought was near perfect too.

Personally, I would be hesitant to call either a tropical paradise because to me, that makes me think of a climate warm enough that I never needed to wear long pants or a long sleeved shirt because of a chill in the air. Like dressing up in a suit for a wedding.

When I was in Jamaica, I never wore shoes (sandals or barefoot most of the time) except for a few hours to "dress up" for a special night, since the coolest it ever got there was 68 F.

Even though I loved just about every minute of my stay in Ft. Lauderdale, there were quite a few times I needed to wear shoes and long pants. I might be different than most people, but I need at least long pants below 65 F when "taking it easy."

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 09-07-2006 at 06:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2006, 11:11 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Didn't you suffer trauma when you left Jamaica for Canada? Why did you leave there? It appears to be the perfect climate for me, too.

Old 09-10-2006, 05:47 AM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Default Hawaii's Climate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I don't doubt that Hawaii has a great climate. In fact I was in Ft. Lauderdale this winter and I thought was near perfect too...
I lived in Hawaii for 4 years. Nice climate yes; however, I had to cut the lawn every week (52 times a year)...no fun!

Also, you deal with insects (ants, **** roaches, etc.) all year round...again no fun!

Old 09-10-2006, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Didn't you suffer trauma when you left Jamaica for Canada? Why did you leave there? It appears to be the perfect climate for me, too.
Yah Mon! RES-pect!

I left because my vacation was over. I did stay two weeks though. But practically every place I vacation I like better than here and I never want to leave.

Steelman:It seems to me that any place you don't cut the lawn year-round or rake up leaves you have snow, and most people have to shovel it. Me, I'd rather deal with bugs and cutting the lawn every week than have to shovel 6 inches or more of heavy wet snow, or worse deep snow covered with 2-3 inches of ice, even once a year.

Old 09-10-2006, 01:24 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Quote:
Yah Mon! RES-pect!

I left because my vacation was over. I did stay two weeks though. But practically every place I vacation I like better than here and I never want to leave.

Steelman:It seems to me that any place you don't cut the lawn year-round or rake up leaves you have snow, and most people have to shovel it. Me, I'd rather deal with bugs and cutting the lawn every week than have to shovel 6 inches or more of heavy wet snow, or worse deep snow covered with 2-3 inches of ice, even once a year.

Oh not me!!! It only takes me less than half an hour to shovel the drive and we don't have the luxery of sidewalks The lawns take two hours just to mow, that's doesn't include making 'em look the way I like with the weed whipping all.

I also planned it just right, our drive faces the east so it gets more sun during the day then those across the street. So if I shovel right after the snow and the sun comes into play I don't have ice

Last edited by cleosmom; 09-10-2006 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-13-2006, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,278 times
Default Puna, Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Can anyone tell me about places in the USA that don't or seldom ever have a frost? Other than Hawaii?
You are without a doubt the best informed individual from this side of the Island. I have been reading your posts since finding this site several months ago. Now I need information.

My wife & I are 14 years from retirement (at 62). We have been watching and researching Puna County forever. I lived on Oahu for 4 years back in the 80's, and we all visited Oahu & Big Island Dec/Jan 06. She loved it as much as I loved it...and remembered it. Be honest, do you think its possible to come over next year, and still find a 1/2 way decent house for $225, 000 - $275,000, make it nice, and then rent it and visit 4 times a year ourselves on vacation until we retire? I worry about managing it when Im not there, and we are New Yorkers, 1/2 way around the world. Is the crime under control in general? I know Hawaii well, and I know what to expect, and I know the slow living, and I can wait which is why I think we should buy. I need electricity, satellite/cable and internet (im a computer tech and don't want to completely abandon my 3rd love in life, behind Hawaii, and oh, my wife & kids), water, and at least travelable roads. Prices are dropping here in the Mainland, same thing out there (I hope)....The rest of you, please don't laugh or slaughter me, I just trust this man's advise.....thanks - Mark

Old 09-14-2006, 02:41 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
Default Puna doesn't freeze, that's for sure

Aloha Mark, You flatter me, after all, I'm just an old hippie in Puna. At this time, Sept. 2006, (prices are dropping here too), yes, you can still find a decent, even a brand new house in Puna in your price range, with piped water if you want, though catchment is not really as big a problem here as some think, and some areas off piped water are very nice. Electricity is widely available. Cable is available in many areas, satellite & internet just about everywhere. Several subdivisions here have decent, paved roads, and HOA's to keep out the riff-raff. If you get a permitted decent house you can use a local property manager and rent it out, no problem, but wow, over 14 years, you will have a lot of upkeep. Houses don't last here as well as on the mainland without a lot of maintainance and I wouldn't count on the manager doing it for you. As far as crime here, there are some meth-heads and the property crime that goes with it, but it's not nearly as bad as S. Oregon was at the turn of the last century.....

Old 09-14-2006, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
As far as crime here, there are some meth-heads and the property crime that goes with it, but it's not nearly as bad as S. Oregon was at the turn of the last century.....
What happened in S. Oregon then?

Old 09-14-2006, 09:47 AM

5 posts, read 11,571 times
Hawaii is the ONLY tropical US state.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:47 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
Quote:
What happened in S. Oregon then?
Well it's gotten way off topic, but I feel I owe you an explaination. By the time I left Medford in 1999, the region had become notorious as a meth manufacturing and consuming area. The local police were arresting so many users every day they would just book and release There were children removed to foster care just about every day because of neglect, lots of break-ins, gun crime, etc. I haven't been back though, so maybe things have improved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.