U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-29-2010, 08:44 AM
 
Location: New York City
4,036 posts, read 8,950,747 times
Reputation: 3708

Advertisements

The problem with New York (like San Francisco and Boston) is that geography creates natural bottlenecks. Of course the George Washington Bridge is going to be bad because there are very few ways to drive into the city from the west. The next bridge over the Hudson is the Tappan Zee, 20 miles to the north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-29-2010, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC NoVA
1,105 posts, read 1,950,107 times
Reputation: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
I think you need to turn off the Faux News.

NY State is one of the richest states in the nation, and has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation.

There is more wealth in a few blocks of the Upper East Side than any other location on earth.

NYC, the city you despise, has had more numeric population growth than any other city in the nation since 2000. More than Houston; more than Dallas.

If NYC is really "falling apart", then why is it experiencing more numeric population growth than any other city?

And Texas has lower incomes and higher unemployment than NY State. It also has MUCH higher debt. In fact, Texas has the second highest per capita debt in the nation, second only to Illinois.
first off i hardly watch any news. the only news i like is sportscenter.

what does new york being individually rich have anything to do with it? the usa is rich and look at our economy. new york's unemployment rate is not one of the lowest, it's 23rd lowest. virginia is 10th lowest. texas is 20th, which is lower than ny. plus in these economic times you can't really make judgements because with people getting laid off in other states, that affects texas business because more people will use less oil and it hurts las vegas because less people will be taking vacations. you can't judge texas for making less money when people getting laid off nationwide have less money. if they're making less money in texas because people nationwide have less money to spend on oil and whatnot, then they're probably going to be laying some people off in texas.

new york state and california were/are on the verge of friggin bankruptcy. i like nyc but just because nyc had the largest numeric growth doesn't mean anything. if a city has a population of 1 million and 2,000 people move there and another city has a population of 100,000 and 1,000 people moved there, who really has the better growth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2010, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Chicago =)
307 posts, read 443,992 times
Reputation: 233
I visited both LA and NYC in the past 6 months, and could not decide which city had the worst traffic
I had always thought it was LA though due to more cars per family, lack of sufficient public transportation etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2010, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, New York
3,754 posts, read 3,863,007 times
Reputation: 3578
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
now they're going to get a lot of revenue from business and build all the cutting edge junk while new york can barely afford to keep mta running.
You have no idea what you're talking about, just shut up. New York saved almost $5 billion dollars in 2003 alone because of public transportation.


Transportation in New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2010, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC NoVA
1,105 posts, read 1,950,107 times
Reputation: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about, just shut up. New York saved almost $5 billion dollars in 2003 alone because of public transportation.


Transportation in New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
they didn't "save" anything. they taxed the hell out of the people. what a state ny is. some of the highest taxes in the country and still can hardly pay for its own services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2010, 06:01 AM
 
Location: Gaston, North Carolina
133 posts, read 348,832 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
Worst Rush Hours in the United States
1. New York City
2. Washington
3. San Francisco
4. Seattle
5. Los Angeles
6. Philadelphia
7. Chicago
8. Dallas-Ft.Worth
9. Atlanta
10. Houston
I'm not surprised. It's too many folks living in those cities and the surrounding area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2010, 06:44 AM
 
Location: The canyon (with my pistols and knife)
13,227 posts, read 17,988,164 times
Reputation: 14678
The only reasons Pittsburgh has any traffic whatsoever is because of natural bottlenecks and a whole bunch of frickin' 'NO TURN ON RED' traffic signals!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2010, 08:36 PM
 
5,859 posts, read 14,065,159 times
Reputation: 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The only reasons Pittsburgh has any traffic whatsoever is because of natural bottlenecks and a whole bunch of frickin' 'NO TURN ON RED' traffic signals!
,,,and Pgh has an excellent public transit system. So looks like that debunks the strawman correlation between public transit and congestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2010, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Long Island/NYC
11,334 posts, read 17,123,100 times
Reputation: 6075
I've never seen anything worse than the George Washington Bridge, it's like an ongoing 24/7 evacuation route.

Some have come close but nothing has passed the GWB.

And for the 100th time not everyone in NYC takes the bus/train/etc., and driving in Manhattan isn't hard, people make it sound like it's India or something. -__-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2010, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, New York
3,754 posts, read 3,863,007 times
Reputation: 3578
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
they didn't "save" anything. they taxed the hell out of the people. what a state ny is. some of the highest taxes in the country and still can hardly pay for its own services.
NYC is a net donor when it comes to taxes, so stop this bull**** about "can't pay its own services". Manhattan alone generates $92 billion extra every year in taxes that don't go back to us. If NYC was its separate country we can afford to pay for all the services we use (including military) plus have $1 trillion stimulus packages every decade and still break even on budget.

Last edited by Gantz; 12-01-2010 at 10:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top