Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 12:00 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
I think you need to turn off the Faux News.

Guess your choice of news gives you misinformation also.

NY State is one of the richest states in the nation, and has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation.

NY is 23rd from the top for unemployment, hardly one of the lowest. I am not sure what your idea of richest is so I will have to wait to address that.

There is more wealth in a few blocks of the Upper East Side than any other location on earth.

You are wrong but not sure what this matters anyway.

NYC, the city you despise, has had more numeric population growth than any other city in the nation since 2000. More than Houston; more than Dallas.

If NYC is really "falling apart", then why is it experiencing more numeric population growth than any other city?

NYC has a growth rate of .6%. Well below a multitude of other cities. Of course just having 9 million people having babies is going to give them a numerical advantage but the growth rate is minimal.

And Texas has lower incomes and higher unemployment than NY State. It also has MUCH higher debt. In fact, Texas has the second highest per capita debt in the nation, second only to Illinois.

I am curious where you got this info because the latest numbers I came across show only 7 states with a higher debt per capita, than NY, in relation to the state GDP. Texas only had one state with lower debt per capita.

Texas also has the 5th lowest COL and only 5 states have a higher COL than NY. With the median family income only about $3,000 higher in NY, I would say your dollar goes quite a bit further in Texas.

filla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 09:19 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I've never seen anything worse than the George Washington Bridge, it's like an ongoing 24/7 evacuation route.

Some have come close but nothing has passed the GWB.

And for the 100th time not everyone in NYC takes the bus/train/etc., and driving in Manhattan isn't hard, people make it sound like it's India or something. -__-
I agree the GWB and Cross Bronx are the worst in the nation. However, I still believe Washington DC metro (I'm here now actually) and LA metro are far, far worse than NYC metro as a whole.

I also agree driving in Manhattan isn't hard, I actually enjoy it. Keeps you on your toes.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:53 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I agree the GWB and Cross Bronx are the worst in the nation. However, I still believe Washington DC metro (I'm here now actually) and LA metro are far, far worse than NYC metro as a whole.

I also agree driving in Manhattan isn't hard, I actually enjoy it. Keeps you on your toes.
The Dulles Toll Road and Rt 66 are real assboils, aren't they?

Old 12-02-2010, 10:43 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
I always say, whoever that drives in NYC can drive in any place. The ranking seems about right

Old 01-17-2011, 06:39 PM

315 posts, read 666,240 times
Well, let the truth be told.. NYC has the worst traffic in the country, hands down (duh).
People forget that NYC has well over twice the population of the next largest city (LA) and over 15x the population of Atlanta. Of course it has the worst traffic!

Last edited by Lancer78; 01-17-2011 at 06:47 PM..

Old 01-17-2011, 08:23 PM

42 posts, read 107,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
i just saw an article in the ny times that caught my attention.

the report, which was released very recently, ranks new york city as having the worst traffic in north america.
I believe it. Just one of the reasons why I don't like large cities. I'll stick to the small towns where I would actually be able to get somewhere

Old 01-18-2011, 09:26 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
High density and high population equals traffic even with great public transportation. The amount of people commuting into the city is always going to make traffic bad. NYC and D.C. have extremely high daytime employment in their downtown's which isn't the case compared to many southern cities.

Another factor is that MTA in NYC and WMATA in D.C. are packed to the brim during rush hour into and out of downtown with no capacity left. NYC and D.C. are the only cities in the nation with over 1 million people using their subway/commuter rail systems daily yet they have the worse traffic in the nation. You do the math. D.C. has Baltimore and Richmond commuting into the city. NYC has NJ, PA, and upstate NY commuting into the city. It's better to look at CSA numbers when looking at traffic.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:04 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloft94 View Post
I believe it. Just one of the reasons why I don't like large cities. I'll stick to the small towns where I would actually be able to get somewhere
You can get around, just not by car during rush hour. You're passing where millions of people live and work. If it was a rural, you'd have to drive maybe a 100 miles to pass the same amount of "stuff".

Old 01-18-2011, 01:25 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Of course NYC has the worst traffic. Luckily, most people who live in NYC don't have to deal with it unlike other cities with only nearly as terrible traffic where 90% of the residents must deal with it.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:43 PM

315 posts, read 666,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I've never seen anything worse than the George Washington Bridge, it's like an ongoing 24/7 evacuation route.

Some have come close but nothing has passed the GWB.
You are right about that. You may be interested in knowing that the George Washington Bridge is in fact the busiest bridge in the world (in terms of vehicular traffic).

George Washington Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting.. This suggests that the GWB is even worse than the bridges in the largest asian cities!

Last edited by Lancer78; 01-18-2011 at 01:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.