U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 03:58 PM

423 posts, read 496,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
D.C. has Baltimore and Richmond commuting into the city.
People in West Virginia and Delaware commutes to D.C. as well......

Now imagine of D.C. had no height limit and buildings we're free to pop up in the sky creating more jobs, more residential, and more density. D.C.'s infrastructure couldn't handle that. But theres no even trade off because as satellite/edge cities like Tysons, Arlington, and Alexandria grow and more jobs being created in those places the worst traffic gets in the suburbs too. If this survey included metro area too D.C. would still be #2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 04:28 PM

5,497 posts, read 7,579,756 times
This is what I found on the internet

Report: Dallas Has Worst Commute In the Country CBS Dallas / Fort Worth – News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and the Best of DFW

Old 01-18-2011, 06:17 PM

23 posts, read 24,332 times
The absolute worst traffic jam I've ever driven in was towards and on the GWB into Manhattan.....on a Sunday.

It regularly takes me well over an hour to traverse the 2 mile width of Manhattan.

Yes, NYC traffic is worse than LA traffic.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:19 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,861,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
i just saw an article in the ny times that caught my attention.

the report, which was released very recently, ranks new york city as having the worst traffic in north america.

now, i usually view these "best/worst" lists with a grain of salt, as the rankings seem to fluctuate yearly and are based on any number of factors, including editorial biases. but i wanted to bring this article to the forum's attention because it would seem to subvert some of the most commonly held notions about which cities have the worst traffic. so many CD posters love to rip on the sprawling sunbelt cities when it comes to traffic and lack of mass transit alternatives, but at least one study suggests that some of the cities with the best mass transit in north america also have some of the worst traffic.

in case anyone is wondering, i'm not trying to defend decentralized land-use patterns, nor am i trying to discredit the efficiency of compact, walkable city centers with excellent mass transit. i just wanted to show that in spite of what some people on this site want to believe, heavy automobile congestion is caused by a lot of factors, not the least of which is simply having a massive amount of people in a finite amount of space.

incidentally, i have felt for years that the nyc metro has the absolute worst traffic in the nation, hands down, based on extensive firsthand experience driving throughout the city and region. so this report comes as no shock to me.

here's a quick snippet from the article:

Worst Rush Hours in the United States
1. New York City
2. Washington
3. San Francisco
4. Seattle
5. Los Angeles
6. Philadelphia
7. Chicago
8. Dallas-Ft.Worth
9. Atlanta
10. Houston

Freeways with the Slowest Typical Rush Hour
1. New York City Brooklyn Battery Tunnel (northbound)
2. New York City George Washington Bridge (eastbound)
3. Montreal Autoroute 15 (eastbound)
4. Philadelphia U.S. 202 (southbound)
5. Montreal Route 138 (westbound)
6. New York City George Washington Bridge (westbound)
7. Los Angeles 1-10 (eastbound)
8. Boston U.S. 1 (northbound)
9. Dallas Texas State Highway Spur 366 (eastbound)
10. Toronto Don Valley Parkway (northbound)

i thought L.A was the king of all traffic. Yesterday at work some guy from oregon told me the traffic in nyc is light work compared to the freeways in l.a

Old 01-18-2011, 06:20 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,861,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post

filla
nyc still had the largest raw number growth. Idk what your minimum talk is suppose to mean but nyc continues to grow and that's a fact.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:50 PM

9,839 posts, read 11,442,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Vic... View Post
People in West Virginia and Delaware commutes to D.C. as well......

Now imagine of D.C. had no height limit and buildings we're free to pop up in the sky creating more jobs, more residential, and more density. D.C.'s infrastructure couldn't handle that. But theres no even trade off because as satellite/edge cities like Tysons, Arlington, and Alexandria grow and more jobs being created in those places the worst traffic gets in the suburbs too. If this survey included metro area too D.C. would still be #2.
Very true, Baltimore, Richmond, West Virginia, and Delaware all commuting into D.C. is crazy. Another fact is D.C. has a higher percentage of jobs based on it's metro population than almost every city in America. I think D.C. has about 3 million jobs with a population of 5+ million. I think similar size metro's like Atlanta have about 2 million jobs with a population of 5+ million. But they also don't have a large CSA commuting into the city like D.C. does with a CSA of 8.4 million people.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:12 AM

7,746 posts, read 6,152,030 times
I Think DC has the worse traffic i've ever had the pleasure of driving in. the beltway, the main streets all look like sh*t at rushour. dc also 6 point intersections which doesnt help. it takes at the very least, 4 hours to drive through the DC hour during rush hour

Old 01-19-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Very true, Baltimore, Richmond, West Virginia, and Delaware all commuting into D.C. is crazy. Another fact is D.C. has a higher percentage of jobs based on it's metro population than almost every city in America. I think D.C. has about 3 million jobs with a population of 5+ million. I think similar size metro's like Atlanta have about 2 million jobs with a population of 5+ million. But they also don't have a large CSA commuting into the city like D.C. does with a CSA of 8.4 million people.
Baltimore has jobs also, i didnt know if u were aware.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:30 AM

1,538 posts, read 5,281,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
i thought L.A was the king of all traffic. Yesterday at work some guy from oregon told me the traffic in nyc is light work compared to the freeways in l.a
you have to drive extensively in both areas (city proper and the suburbs) at all times of the day and at different times of the year to really make a judgement call on this.

traffic in LA is horrible without a doubt, but amazingly enough, i'd say it's actually a little bit less worse than nyc (notice i didn't say "better"). keep in mind that most of my life was spent in and around nyc so i've driven in every possible weather condition, time of day, time of year, and subsection of the greater nyc region - and IMO it's definitely worse than LA and anywhere else in the u.s. for that matter.

in my experience, no city proper in the u.s. has local street traffic that can compare with the congestion on the streets of nyc proper - especially manhattan, but also large swaths of the outer boroughs such as flatbush avenue in downtown/central brooklyn, roosevelt ave/queens blvd/northern blvd in queens, almost anywhere in the south bronx, etc. and even trying to get into/out of manhattan is a nightmare due to a limited number of access points; you simply don't have these types of bottlenecks in other cities.

of course, in a city like LA where mass transit is much less extensive than nyc, a person might have no choice but to drive to work/school/other destinations, whereas in nyc people generally have better alternate options for getting around. but that's not what we're discussing here - we're strictly talking about traffic for those who drive (either by choice or out of necessity).

Old 01-19-2011, 03:04 AM

traffic in Baltimore is gettin worse by the day. Nothing beats the day i was driving downtown staring at the building it was suppose to go to, and it still took me 15 minutes to get there. The building was 2 blocks away. or when it took my 2 1/2 hours to get downtown on a weekend when i was already in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or