U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 09:18 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,985,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Are there other places in the world where parts of a country are more similar culturally to a neighboring country than other parts within that country?
I'm pretty sure there are places in the world where that's more true than with the North and Canada. Eastern Ukraine is said to be more like Russia than it is like Western Ukraine. I believe Kazakhstan still has some towns that are largely or mostly ethnic Russian, something called Pavlodar sounds fairly Russian. I think there are parts of Kashmir that are more like Pakistan than India. There are parts of Inner Mongolia, the autonomous Chinese region, that I suspect are more like the nation of Mongolia than they are like China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 10:11 PM

6,523 posts, read 7,475,821 times
I live in Michigan and I would say yes there is more difference between my area and the south than there is between my area and much of Canada. The Ontario border is only 90 miles from my home, so it is not suprising that we share much with our neighbors in Ontario. I would also add that we are just as different from other northerners as we are with those in the south. The people of Michigan have no more, or even less in common with say New England than we do with those in Georgia or Alabama. There really is no "northern culture", but there is a northeastern culture, a lower midwest culture and an upper midwest culture. People from the south seem to think the north is this big place strecthing from Boston to Minneapolis where everyone is pushy rude and talks with a sopranoes accent, the land is all city and the suburbs of New York stretch all the way out to Milwalkee. lol Its not like that up here and there is a big difference between the midwest and the northeast.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:09 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,058,698 times
Canada seems very similar to Minnesota, while the south may as well be another country.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:28 AM

34,705 posts, read 33,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Definitely. I grew up in Michigan...going over to Ontario...basically the exact same thing.

Go down south however, and everything changes quite a bit.
Ontario and Alberta are as different as New York and Tennessee.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:43 AM

6,015 posts, read 6,378,788 times
Culturally speaking, the Great Lakes/Northeast does seem to have more in common with (Eastern) Canada than the South. I have only been to Ontario and Quebec so I can only speak for these provinces.

With regards to the Midwest, it's hard to say. I'd say the culture of a city like Chicago, IL is way more similar to Canadian cities than any city in the South. Then again, some of the other cities in the Midwest, like St. Louis, Evansville, etc. may share more characteristics with southern cities.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:15 AM

56,736 posts, read 81,038,544 times
I agree with those that say it depends on where you are in the Northeast or Midwest. Michigan and Upstate NY has a lot in common with Ontario and parts of Quebec. Northern New England state like NH, Maine and Vermont is similar to parts of Quebec and the Maritimes(especially New Brunswick and Nova Scotia). Same with say Minnesota and Northwestern Ontario and Manitoba; the Dakotas and Saskatchewan; Montana/Rockies/Western Plains and Alberta and British Columbia and the Pacific Northwest.

For maybe Black folks in cities in the North or others with some roots in the South that live in the North, they can relate to both Canada and the South to some degree.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:39 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,085,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Ontario and Alberta are as different as New York and Tennessee.
Yeah, the original premise was made to sound like Canada is culturally monolithic outside of Quebec, which is just not so.
To me, Southern Ontario (where most Canadians reside*) feels very similar to the parts of the US that it abuts.

Southern Ontario - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

*Interestingly, about 90% of Canadians live below the latitude that touches the northernmost point of the Continental US.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:06 AM

5,015 posts, read 4,722,872 times
I'm wondering how many people posting Yes have actually traveled in Canada. Most of Canada is very rural. Victoria has a European feel. Calgary feels more like Texas than NY or any Northern town (although it felt most like Montana/WY with a bigger city).

Toronto does feel similar to a large NE city, although it's much cleaner than any large American city I have seen. London, ON is similar to some of the upper Midwest areas, but still cleaner and it has a bit more charm.

Quebec is not like any American city, IMO.

I realize that most posts like this are just a desire for people to bash the South or try to stigmatize it as so different it's like its own country, but unless you have visited most of Canada and/or most of the South, you really can't compare.

People on C-D make such sweeping generalizations, and many have never been to areas that they try to claim as superior or inferior.

BTW- Daniel, I don't know any Southerners who think of the North as one area as you stated. Southerners don't think of Michigan as the same as NY or NJ. Unfortnately a lot non-southerners do think of the South and apparently Canada as huge monolithic places with no differences as shown in this thread.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:39 AM

7,909 posts, read 12,178,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I'm wondering how many people posting Yes have actually traveled in Canada.
And likewise, how many have been to the South.

I can see a few instances where there will be similarities, but people from the same country will always have far more in common with each other than those in another.

Of course, for people see this line of reasoning, they will have to let go off their stereotypes and assumptions of the South. Particularly the group of people on this site who are dead set on thinking the South has been on pause since 1866, is completely rural, and is just itching to fight the Civil War again. To those people: grow up.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:52 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,196,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I live in Michigan and I would say yes there is more difference between my area and the south than there is between my area and much of Canada. The Ontario border is only 90 miles from my home, so it is not suprising that we share much with our neighbors in Ontario. I would also add that we are just as different from other northerners as we are with those in the south. The people of Michigan have no more, or even less in common with say New England than we do with those in Georgia or Alabama. There really is no "northern culture", but there is a northeastern culture, a lower midwest culture and an upper midwest culture. People from the south seem to think the north is this big place strecthing from Boston to Minneapolis where everyone is pushy rude and talks with a sopranoes accent, the land is all city and the suburbs of New York stretch all the way out to Milwalkee. lol Its not like that up here and there is a big difference between the midwest and the northeast.
Similar feeling here, I also grew up in Michigan.

I've noticed that some southerners generalize ALL northerners are exactly the same (the thread calling MI people a bunch of yankees on the MI forum is a very recent case in point)....However, I also have noticed many Canadians ALSO generalize that everyone south of their border is exactly the same.

I think they inherently know that its very different in differnet places in the States. But generally speaking, we are ALL suppose to be southern hillbilly evangelical war-mongering Bush-loving bible-belting and insert everything else you can imagine that is negative, to differentiate how much more enlightened Canada is than US. Generally they collectively forget to remember the MI, NY, CA, MN, OR, IL types of states, and just generalize that we're all from TN or TX.

I also noticed general assumptions among Canadians that ONLY Canadians say 'eh' or drink pop. When, in reality, it is a very large large geographical region that is in no way at all Canada specific. I almost think that it could be more Americans say 'pop' and 'eh' than there are Canadians - taking into account that the population of the American Midwest is probably as large if not larger than Canada...and across the board, many of us in the Midwest say the exact same things that Canadians claim to be exclusively Canadian.

Can you tell I've spent way too much time around Canadians? I like their politics and country, but get pretty worn down by so many negative generalizations they have about Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or