U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:16 AM

48,300 posts, read 45,597,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Can you list them? All i hear on these forums is how northern Atlanta is becoming.
Atlanta might be getting more northern influences, but isn't the same as Chicago. Chicago was northern from the start. Chicago and Edmonton have a far different history from Atlanta. In Edmonton, you have a sizeable Ukrainian influence, not unlike that in Chicago.

While Atlanta isn't strictly Southern anymore, the Southern influence is still there. Chicago never had alot of Southern influences to begin.
Another was of putting it is this: Name some things that Atlanta doesn't have that Chicago does have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 08:39 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,483,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Atlanta might be getting more northern influences, but isn't the same as Chicago. Chicago was northern from the start. Chicago and Edmonton have a far different history from Atlanta. In Edmonton, you have a sizeable Ukrainian influence, not unlike that in Chicago.

While Atlanta isn't strictly Southern anymore, the Southern influence is still there. Chicago never had alot of Southern influences to begin.
Another was of putting it is this: Name some things that Atlanta doesn't have that Chicago does have.
During the Great Migration millions of blacks carried southern culture and traditions into Chicago (which is of course common knowledge) and in the short history of a city like Chicago that's a significant event. Which is why Chicago is far more southern than most cities so far north. Chicago has soul food, blues music...the only thing that Chicago has that Atlanta lacks is a big lake, icy winters and a history of the blues.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:18 AM

48,300 posts, read 45,597,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
During the Great Migration millions of blacks carried southern culture and traditions into Chicago (which is of course common knowledge) and in the short history of a city like Chicago that's a significant event. Which is why Chicago is far more southern than most cities so far north. Chicago has soul food, blues music...the only thing that Chicago has that Atlanta lacks is a big lake, icy winters and a history of the blues.
Atlanta doesn't have the other cultural influences that Chicago had early on. Atlanta is only starting to get them, and not on the same level as Chicago.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:58 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,331,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
What a strange post. You have never been south of central Ohio and you use that as a judge for whether you like the south or how it feels different? Central Ohio is not the south. Cincinnati is the dividing line to me. Cincinnati does not feel totally southern/northern/midwestern to me- it's a mix. I encoutered some extremely southern people in the nothern KY suburbs of Cincy. (much more southern seeming than Tennesseans IMO, which is funny since they are further north).

I didn't love Iowa (really disliked Sioux City, like Cedar Rapids better). How would you feel if I claimed an opinion based on your whole area of the country based on Sioux City? It makes no sense, and as you said yourself, you've never actually been to the south.

If you have never been through the South, then you really have no way to judge. I have travelled extensively through the US and Canada. Vancouver and Calgary are nothing like Michigan, New York, etc. Toronto is nothing like Philadelphia or Boston.

I'll say it again, I think most people trying to compare in this thread have never spent much time in Canada or the South.

BTW- if you haven't been to the South, you are missing a lot of great food, music, and nice people. I would highly recommend a visit.
I'm not sure what you're whining about....there are cultural characteristics about the South that just aren't for me. I shouldn't have to live there to know I don't like it. I'm guessing most people in this entire forum haven't lived in the South, Northeast, Midwest AND Canada to make valid comparisons for this particular thread, so you just have to take what you do know and make opinions about things. I at least admitted that I have a limited knowledge about the South, meaning it's likely I am very impressionable and can change my opinion based on further experiences. However, from what I do know about its culture and what I've experienced as I've gotten CLOSER to the true South, I wasn't too fond.

I'd love nothing more than to be pleasantly surprised by Southern living, and maybe someday I'll have to move there so I can make a non-biased opinion, but until then why don't you just accept others' opinions and try not to get so upset about it? I bet you aren't fond of living in Minnesota, even though you've probably never lived here -- but I'm not going to question why, you probably have your own biased opinion about it, and that's fine.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:14 PM

791 posts, read 2,463,751 times
Well in terms of Latitude Winchester, Virginia isn't much further South than Ocean City, New Jersey. Ocean City looks to be around a tenth of a degree more "Northern." Aristocrats in the antebellum South fairly often sent their sons to Princeton. Not saying New Jersey is "The South" but the history of the Mid-Atlantic is different than New England.

That's true - in antebellum days Southerners attended Princeton Univ. in New Jersey because the Southern states had few decent Universities of their own. And Woodrow Wilson, a southerner, became Governor of New Jersey. Asbury Park was named after the Methodists. (Not much Methodist influence remains in New Jersey today). But all those things happened before the massive immigration of Italians especially, Russian Jews, and other ethnic groups overwhelmed New Jersey and changed its prevailing culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or