U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 03:02 PM

554 posts, read 2,280,693 times

Advertisements

Detroit, Michigan and Livonia, Michigan.

Literally across the street from each other, one city has a large black population, while the other has a large white population.

What year is this again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 07:05 PM

76 posts, read 197,949 times
very good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Minneapolis
White Collar
Western
Uppity Liberal
Newer
Organized Streets
Faster
Saint Paul
Blue Collar
Eastern
Older
"Drunken Irishmen" streets (Thanks Ventura)
New Deal Liberal
Slower

Old 07-11-2007, 08:28 PM

345 posts, read 946,734 times
Buffalo -- very blue collar, "meat and pototoes"-type town

Rochester -- more white collar, small art/culture scene, very different vibe from Buffalo

Old 07-11-2007, 09:15 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,819,620 times
San Francisco and Sacramento. I wouldn't even know where to start to describe the differences. Architecture, transportation, suburban orientation, politics, downtown presence, shopping areas and residences to name a few for starters.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:20 AM

5,608 posts, read 20,729,294 times
Well, maybe not totally close (about 45 minute drive apart), but totally different: Sun City, AZ and Tempe, AZ. It's Oldpeoplesville vs. College/Youngpeoplestown. Interestingly, people have an impression of Phoenix that it is mainly old people (including me before I moved here) when the average age here is actually YOUNGER than the national average. The old people are concentrated in a few retirement communities on the edges of town, notably the Sun Cities in the far west valley, Apache Junction in the far east, and Sun Lakes south of Chandler. Tempe is actually a better example of what Phoenix is like in general than Sun City, even though the latter is probably more well known outside of the area.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:23 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,365,710 times
Garden City and Hempstead on Long Island. One is full of palatial million dollar homes and high-end shopping and the other is basically like a rough rundown inner city neighborhood transported into the suburb. The cities are no more than two miles apart, maybe 5-10 minutes from the center of one to the center of the other, and I may be mistaken but I think they actually border one another. The contrast is freaky.

In general, one thing I've noticed about a lot of cities in the Northeast and Midwest, especially suburbs of the larger cities, is how often contrasts like this exist, where literally, a few blocks seems like you're in a different world. I'm not sure why that is. In much of the rest of the country, you'll see a gradual decline in an area as you drive whereas in many cities in the Northeast and Midwest, it just seems to come out of nowhere.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:27 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,910,648 times
St. Louis and Kansas City come to mind. While they do have a lot in common, both being Midwestern, Kansas City feels more like a western city, as opposed to St. Louis which feels more like an Eastern one. There is also Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati. I've always felt that those cities were very distinct from one another in certain ways despite all being Midwestern.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:27 PM

112 posts, read 581,503 times
Indianapolis and Bloomington, IN.

The main difference, Bloomington has culture and a unique identity.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:54 PM

362 posts, read 1,633,005 times
Cheyenne and Laramie Wyoming.

Cheyenne is a heavily Republican, down-to-earth, government and farming town out on the plains.

Laramie is a fun-loving, college town with a very slight liberal edge near the Snowy Mountains.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:12 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,910,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxMarcus View Post
Indianapolis and Bloomington, IN.

The main difference, Bloomington has culture and a unique identity.
Let me further expand on that note. Indianapolis and Louisville. It's amazing how different they are from each other despite being only a mere 100 miles apart. And there is also Louisville and Cincinnati only 90 miles from one another. Louisville despite being so much closer to these two other Midwestern cities than other Southern cities has more in common with Nashville located about 150 miles to the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or