U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 01:14 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,878,813 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles, World city diverse, cultured vibrant and LIBERAL with great beaches

San Diego, not diverse, not much culture, boring, ELITE REPUBLICAN CONSERVATIVE, average beaches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 01:16 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,905,824 times
Chicago and Milwaukee are two more good examples. Very different cities from one another despite being a mere 90 miles apart. There's also Baltimore, D.C., and Richmond, V.A. Baltimore and D.C. seem pretty much the same to me given they are basically almost the same city, but Richmond is worlds removed from these two in every imaginable way despite being only 100 miles south.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:21 PM

2,169 posts, read 4,197,704 times
And then there's Palo Alto and East Palo Alto in California....

Old 07-17-2008, 01:28 PM

212 posts, read 831,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I was wondering any cities that are in close proximity that are completely different in character and personality.

Omaha and Lincoln, Nebraska
Big differences between these two. One Omaha has some of the most polite, caring people one could ever meet while Lincoln has some of the most arrogant, snooty and rude people in the nation. Omaha is also prosperous, aggressive at economic and cultural expansion while Lincoln is stuck in the 1950s mentality. Not only that but the cities couldnt be politically different, Omaha is much more progressive they dont care about who is gay or straight or if someone is religious or not religious (Omaha is live and let live) is more personal in Omaha even though the city is heavily-religious reputation. Lincoln on the other hand is very, very anti-gay and has people aggressive bible thumpers widespread throughout the town. Very few Lincolnites will associate with those arent saved or born again, its the most socially conservative town in America by far.

Denver and Colorado Springs
One is extreme liberal (Denver) Denverites are extremely outgoing, energetic, talkative, outdoorsy, unreserved, talkative bunch.

The other just 48 miles south of the Denver city limits is extremely reserved, very proper and polite, much more indoorsy, very quiet, talking loud is frowned down upon in restaurants, lacks energy.

Overall people in Colorado Springs are great at saying "please", "thanks", "have a nice day" but unlike Denver thats about as deep as the conversation a vast majority of the populous wants to have.

In Denver people will just walk up to another person and comment and start talking to them like they have known them for years, in Colorado Springs the same social situation and the vast majority of the populous would freak out

In fact if the same people went to Colorado Springs places on a Saturday night that live in Denver and frequent places in Denver and acted like Denverites they would stared at by the Colorado Springs residents and jaws dropped for "being loud"

Any other cities mentalities of the people change in such a short distance?
Are you ever going to stop making Lincoln sound like a bad city? Again, you have posted a bunch of insults toward Lincoln-and they are all made up, as usual. Lincoln is not stuck in the 1950s, and the people here are not at all like the way you describe them. Are you always this negative, or do you just have something against Lincoln?

Old 07-17-2008, 01:37 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,213,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post

New York and Philadelphia!!!!!!!!!!!Nuff said.
i agree. i had a complete culture shock when i moved to Philly. to think
its just on the other side of the NJ Tpke, and it couldn't be more different. but us New Yorkers are fixing that

although South Philly reminds me of Queens for some reason..

Last edited by john_starks; 07-17-2008 at 01:57 PM..

Old 07-17-2008, 02:12 PM

4,953 posts, read 8,541,059 times
DC and Baltimore are 34 miles a part and completely different!

DC is a white collar, martinis, sushi, flashy, keep n up with the Jones', cosmopolitan, stuck up, political, money driven, who do you know, where did you go to school, what kind of car do you drive, what can you do for me type of place.

Baltimore is a blue collar, beer, blue crabs, laid back, blue jeans, charming, cool, neighborly, bohemian, what hood are you from, life long friendships, let's shoot some pool type of place.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:50 PM

1,817 posts, read 2,759,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I was wondering any cities that are in close proximity that are completely different in character and personality.

Omaha and Lincoln, Nebraska
Big differences between these two. One Omaha has some of the most polite, caring people one could ever meet while Lincoln has some of the most arrogant, snooty and rude people in the nation. Omaha is also prosperous, aggressive at economic and cultural expansion while Lincoln is stuck in the 1950s mentality. Not only that but the cities couldnt be politically different, Omaha is much more progressive they dont care about who is gay or straight or if someone is religious or not religious (Omaha is live and let live) is more personal in Omaha even though the city is heavily-religious reputation. Lincoln on the other hand is very, very anti-gay and has people aggressive bible thumpers widespread throughout the town. Very few Lincolnites will associate with those arent saved or born again, its the most socially conservative town in America by far.
Any other cities mentalities of the people change in such a short distance?
Oy vey. I don't think there's ANY difference between Lincoln and Omaha...maybe very, very subtle and minor differences at most. The people are no better or worse in either city; same mix of annoying creeps and decent individuals you get anywhere else. My impression was always that Lincoln was (slightly) MORE progressive and liberal than Omaha. It's a big college town, after all. "Most socially conservative town in America"--yeah, right... Perhaps a trip to Colorado City or Vidor, Texas will put things in perspective. "Omaha is live and let live"--funny, I had a lot of gay friends in HS there and they all got hassled quite a bit, and pretty much all of them moved far away from the midwest as soon as they could.

The question posed by the OP is interesting but the examples chosen (along with his explanations) are laughable.

I never encountered any religious propaganda visiting Lincoln, not to say it doesn't exist but certainly not on some vast level--met plenty of born-again weirdos in Omaha, too. Can't think of anything strikingly different about the 2 places beyond size, obviously. You can find whatever you're looking for in either place, unless it's excitement...

Old 07-17-2008, 05:52 PM

6,865 posts, read 12,811,737 times
houston and austin are in close proximity but very different vibe. austin is very hippie and houston is very cosmopolitan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or