U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 06:30 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,756,730 times

Advertisements

Are there ANY socially progressive / liberal small towns in America. I know of Oberlin and Yellow Springs in Ohio, but that's about it.

Seems the quiet life and nature, are hard to find in combination with liberal communities.

I also know there are a few in New England, but I need somewhere I can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2006, 08:27 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,382,727 times
There are still affordable places in Northwest Vermont.

Kindly see my posts in the Vermont section.

Old 08-18-2006, 03:49 PM

439 posts, read 531,238 times
Salisbury CT Westport CT Mystic CT

Old 01-25-2007, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 10,566 times
Lake Placid, NY, until about one year ago, had an ENORMOUS (three floors...maybe 7500sf) used book store for at least two decades. I guess they had a hard time making a go of it recently, but in smaller digs I think a used book store would thrive. The liberal, progressive, charming community with a HUGE and thriving tourism industry is now starved for such a place. Now, I would imagine rents in the downtown area are probably very high, but housing costs are not bad at all.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:31 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,922,354 times
Depending on what you consider affordable, the Pioneer Valley (Western Massachusetts) is among the most progressive--4 colleges, UMass, and many small adjoining towns in the county of Northampton.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:09 AM

132 posts, read 533,759 times
You might check out Lawrence, KS (home of KU) although that is growing fast, so I don't know how "small town" it would feel anymore. It's less than an hour from the big city. Pretty much most liberal smaller towns seem to be college-centered or resorts.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:01 AM

699 posts, read 2,342,720 times
Asheville N.C...I've heard it's a very forward thinking community with an abundance of arts/artists. Chapel Hill/Carrboro N.C. is very well known for liberal minded people and government. Carrboro has an openly gay mayor.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 10,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
Asheville N.C...I've heard it's a very forward thinking community with an abundance of arts/artists. Chapel Hill/Carrboro N.C. is very well known for liberal minded people and government. Carrboro has an openly gay mayor.
Sorry to let y'all down, but A'Ville is no longer a small town. Maybe three years ago, but the yuppies have since discovered the place and moving here in droves--particularly from Florida. Most are bringing with them their SUVs (one or more per person) and building monster homes in the once-pristine mountains of Western North Carolina.

I moved here from Central VA last summer (without a vehicle and am renting an existing home in an old neighborhood right outside of downtown) thinking I was moving into a small, progressive town. Progressive it is, but the sprawl development going on around here is rampant. There are nothing but strip smalls between the outskirts of the central business district/residential neighborhoods and the outlying communities of Woodfin, Hendersonville, Enka/Candler, Black Mountain, Weaverville, etc.

Is there any small town left in the US that hasn't been destroyed by Walmart and hasn't embarked on the path to destruction by way of retail hell? If so, will I be welcomed there, or is it a right-wing bastion of intolerance?

So sad. I find that, increasingly, big-box retail, chain stores, traffic, and new home construction sites make me physically ill. I'm working on visiting some of the other places mentioned, particularly those towns in Vermont--arguably the most progressive state in the nation.

If not, I'll check out Europe.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:25 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,761,217 times
Northfield, Minn. A two college town (St. Olaf and Carleton, both Liberal Arts). A population of maybe 15,000. An odd hour from Mpls. I love the place.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:00 PM

653 posts, read 3,134,136 times
MADISON, WISCONSIN!!!!!! Cold winters...but awesome city of 225,000!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or