U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2010, 12:07 AM

3 posts, read 3,696 times

Advertisements

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong area I'm new here!

My fiance and I are both originally from Oklahoma City, Ok and are looking to move to a bigger city with more to offer for our lifestyles. We are a young couple with no children but do want them in the next 5 years. So want to go to a place where we can get the most out of the next few years before we settle down and decide to get married, start a family, buy a home and all of that. We will be renting so not really concerned with buying anything.

I am looking for a place that definitely has a beach near by but doesn't have to be right on the water, Has an artistic/new age/metaphysical vibe, good nightlife, good parks, we love music so maybe a place that gets good festivals or concerts.

We lived in Vegas for a year and loved it, visited South beach Miami a couple times and feel in love with it had plans of moving to the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area but there are so many negative things being said about it that I'm feeling a little scared off.

I will be working as an RN, and he is going to school online so he will just be working a part-time job in no particular field

We are pretty much wide open to any suggestions or places we should look at thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 10:30 AM

726 posts, read 1,870,363 times
You visited Miami/Ft Lauderdale and loved it but you're scared off but other peoples' opinions? Go where you want. That area is beautiful and just like anywhere else it will have good and bad things about it but pick where you both want to move and if you can afford it go. It's not like you can't move somewhere else if you change your mind.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:34 AM

5 posts, read 6,177 times
NYC, nothing beats the concrete jungle where dreams are made of

Old 11-30-2010, 07:32 AM

21,195 posts, read 30,379,606 times
[quote=lmcdaniel25;16803965
I am looking for a place that definitely has a beach near by but doesn't have to be right on the water, Has an artistic/new age/metaphysical vibe, good nightlife, good parks, we love music so maybe a place that gets good festivals or concerts. [/QUOTE]

Check out Gulfport, Florida which is part of the Tampa/St Petersburg metro area.
It's a quirky small town on the water near the beaches. There is a wide variety of nightlife/live music in the area, a great art community, plenty of things to do and a pretty good array of hospitals/medical facilities for you to choose from.

Gulfport, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gulfport Health and Wellness

Old 11-30-2010, 08:02 AM

56,637 posts, read 80,930,134 times
I agree with choosing, go where you would love to be. With that said, maybe LA, San Diego, the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area of VA and maybe areas like Jacksonville and Orlando in FL. If you don't mind 4 seasons, Philadelphia, Boston and maybe even Chicago(if you don't mind Lakefront beaches) could work.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:31 PM

3 posts, read 3,696 times
These are all great suggestions!!
Thanks everybody

Old 12-02-2010, 09:11 AM

5,847 posts, read 11,022,772 times
Try Leucadia, CA just a bit north of San Diego. Funky little beach town with a great vibe. You should have no problem finding work as an RN.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:41 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,984,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcdaniel25 View Post
I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong area I'm new here!

My fiance and I are both originally from Oklahoma City, Ok and are looking to move to a bigger city with more to offer for our lifestyles. We are a young couple with no children but do want them in the next 5 years. So want to go to a place where we can get the most out of the next few years before we settle down and decide to get married, start a family, buy a home and all of that. We will be renting so not really concerned with buying anything.

I am looking for a place that definitely has a beach near by but doesn't have to be right on the water, Has an artistic/new age/metaphysical vibe, good nightlife, good parks, we love music so maybe a place that gets good festivals or concerts.

We lived in Vegas for a year and loved it, visited South beach Miami a couple times and feel in love with it had plans of moving to the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area but there are so many negative things being said about it that I'm feeling a little scared off.

I will be working as an RN, and he is going to school online so he will just be working a part-time job in no particular field

We are pretty much wide open to any suggestions or places we should look at thanks in advance!!

Atlanta would be a great place for you, the busiest airport in the world, awesome neighborhoods, parks, friendly people. 4 hours from beaches, 1 hour from the mountains....etc, etc

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or