U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 11:01 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,195,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
The Deep South is way more likely to secede. Think about this. The Hispanics in Arizona came voluntarily to the US to work and make better lives for themselves. The majority of the people who complain about the future of America (included in this is the belief that Hispanics are ruining America) are people in the Deep South.

But it isn't realistic for anyone, nor should it be.
First of all, no one believes "Hispanics are ruining America". That is basically code for anyone who doesn't want amnesty for millions of criminals within our borders.

Second of all, laughing secession of as an unlikely non-issue as if it's some outlandish joke is extraordinarily ignorant. Countless things can happen in the next 30 years and it's quite likely that the United States won't even be a superpower a few decades from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 07:43 AM

5,311 posts, read 5,343,644 times
Without great knowledge of all of the independent movements in the US, I suspect that the likelihood of success for such movements will improve as the US continues to plummet further into debt, poverty and arrogance (and self-righteousness).

That being said, I suspect that the US will be in an uproar once Americans can't pay their cable bills and are no longer distracted by comforts such as TV and movies. With rising energy prices, higher unemployment, increased debt, a false sense of security (provided by our government and supplemented by easy credit for cars and homes) and a sad level of ethnocentric subconsciousness (by many Americans), I believe that the secession will come from all over the country.

Citizens in the Rust Belt have been put through the ringer for 40 years now, immigration issues on our southern borders are causing strife (mainly because the government does not deal with the issue correctly) and the US is so reliant on imports that this country is experiencing severe internal bleeding. I can see many of these things falling apart from all over. My vote is for "all of the above".

Old 11-29-2010, 08:38 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,524,858 times
It would be ridiculous to think either would ever actually secede...but it's an interesting notion.

I remember there was momentum gathering when Obama was elected that Texas would try to secede, blah, blah, blah. It was really funny to hear some people on the radio/TV/etc talking about how great things would be and how much Texas would thrive...when in my opinion it would fall on its face. Right now, the states which make up the former "Confederacy" are doing anywhere from terrible to great. Obviously Texas is doing great. Florida is not. Neither is South Carolina. Georgia and North Carolina both seem to be weathering the storm pretty well.

The Texas cities, Raleigh-Durham, Atlanta, and Charlotte are all growing at high rates. They have been for years. These cities are often considered "the future" of these states...both for what they're doing and what they hope to do. I bolded that text because so much of the power these areas supposedly have are related to statements which begin with "at this rate..." and "the growth of...". These cities are getting much of their talent from areas like California, the Northeast, and the Upper Midwest...if they were to secede, that flow of talent would go from a waterfall to a trickle very quickly.

If the states were to secede, the rest of the United States isn't going to say "well it sux u r leavin but ur kewl, so let's keep trading lolz". By leaving the Union, the confederacy would lose not only a huge portion of their incoming talent and new businesses moving to the region...but they would also lose most of the consumers which are allowing their current companies to thrive.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:56 AM

15,105 posts, read 31,467,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Neither, though I wouldn't be opposed to cutting off Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Arkansas.
We tried to cut ourselves off before, remember? But the northern states couldn't live without us. You wanted us, and now you've got us, DEAL WITH IT and quit whining!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.