U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 02:22 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,903,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Gotta make a distinction here. Minneapolis and KC are not Rust Belt cities. Apparently, St. Louis is arguable according to wikipedia. I don't think "white flight" distiunguishes a city as Rust Belt either, though most RB cities experienced this.
Well, if St. Louis is not a Rustbelt city, it certainly has the appearance of one and acts like one and has all the characteristics of one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 05:24 PM

5,849 posts, read 15,940,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi2NYC? View Post
birmingham, alabama.
You must not have been to The Ham lately.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
You must not have been to The Ham lately.
Birmingham I would bet gives sort of a glimpse of what Pittsburgh used to be given it is nicknamed "The Pittsburgh of The South" due the vast amounts of steel it produces. Actually I lie hehe I've driven through downtown Birmingham it is MUCH smaller than Pittsburgh but it is BOOMING. Most Southern cities these days are alive and booming with activity, especially with the Reverse Migration from the North and Midwest taking place.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:27 AM

333 posts, read 1,331,993 times
didn't go through downtown (except on interstate), but the parts of it i drove through about five years ago were stuck in the 1950s in terms of physical aesthetics. i think it's a good thing.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:15 AM

5,859 posts, read 14,048,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i'll be in jerome az next week, will definitely check it out.
Have fun driving up the road from the valley! And check out the little storfront museum on the main street, if it's still there.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:26 AM

5,859 posts, read 14,048,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Interesting. I always generally thought the Rustbelt meant the same thing as the Midwest. Guess I was wrong. I do know for a fact that the "Rustbelt core" primarily focused around the Great Lakes, extending as far east as Buffalo and Syracuse, New York.
I think those who coined the term were trying to characterize the node of the US's old industrial economy, without regard to state or regional boundaries. There are lots of cities with RB-like characteristics, but they are geographically separated from the actual Rust Belt. I'm guessing that's why wikipedia says St Louis is arguable. Other cities that had concentrations of old industry that are now dormant outside the belt would have to include Philadelphia, Baltimore, Birmingham, Pueblo, CO and Butte, MT.

I read a book many years ago where an economist had described the same phenomenon (before the decline of heavy industry and the coining of the term Rust Belt) as America's Industrial Triangle. His definition included all the area inside a triange whose apexes are Buffalo, Milwaukee and St. Louis.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I think those who coined the term were trying to characterize the node of the US's old industrial economy, without regard to state or regional boundaries. There are lots of cities with RB-like characteristics, but they are geographically separated from the actual Rust Belt. I'm guessing that's why wikipedia says St Louis is arguable. Other cities that had concentrations of old industry that are now dormant outside the belt would have to include Philadelphia, Baltimore, Birmingham, Pueblo, CO and Butte, MT.

I read a book many years ago where an economist had described the same phenomenon (before the decline of heavy industry and the coining of the term Rust Belt) as America's Industrial Triangle. His definition included all the area inside a triange whose apexes are Buffalo, Milwaukee and St. Louis.
That kind of squares a little better with the Rust Belt to me. I'm surprised that Birmingham is not booming now...it certainly seemed like it was to me when I was there two years ago.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:17 PM

5,849 posts, read 15,940,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
That kind of squares a little better with the Rust Belt to me. I'm surprised that Birmingham is not booming now...it certainly seemed like it was to me when I was there two years ago.
Birmingham IS booming. The steel industry is still there, but it is not as big as it used to be and not as dominant in the city's economy. The health industry is a major force, along with banking (although that has shrunk).

Old 07-12-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Birmingham IS booming. The steel industry is still there, but it is not as big as it used to be and not as dominant in the city's economy. The health industry is a major force, along with banking (although that has shrunk).
That's what I thought. Birmingham is the modern Pittsburgh of the south right? The whole South pretty much is taking off these days. Louisville, Lexington, Nashville, Memphis, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Miami, Raleigh, Richmond....the South is leading the way right now while the Midwest and Northeast struggle to keep up.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Gotta make a distinction here. Minneapolis and KC are not Rust Belt cities. Apparently, St. Louis is arguable according to wikipedia. I don't think "white flight" distiunguishes a city as Rust Belt either, though most RB cities experienced this.
I actually would agree with you Ben Around that Minneapolis and KC aren't rustbelt....KC seems much newer and cleaner than St. Louis and actually I don't ever remember hearing my dad's friends there speak about KC falling on hard times. I'm not gonna contest your stance on Minneapolis since you are a resident there and I've never been there...in fact now that i think about it i don't ever remember hearing about it falling on hard times. Indianapolis, Chicago, and Columbus have also successfully escaped their rust belt reputations....Minneapolis avoided getting one altogether I guess...it's downtown in pictures looks vibrant, clean, and alive. The one last thing I will admit that you are correct about is the "white flight" thing. Though it was experienced in most Midwestern and RB cities, it was experienced mainly in all the cities black migrated to. Philadelphia, New York, Boston, and Los Angeles all experienced "white flight."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or