U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 07:33 PM

98 posts, read 283,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Generally any city in the Rustbelt besides Chicago, Indy, Minneapolis/St. Paul, and Columbus and maybe KC or Cincy I don't know about these last two. St. Louis, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Akron, Youngstown, Milwaukee, Detroit, and Flint are all fine examples of such cities. Cities which once were booming and then collapsed under their own weight due to hard economic times and also due to "white flight" to their suburban areas experienced when blacks migrating from the South settled down in these cities.
Columbus I think is stuck in the old times. All you have to do is look at their skyline which just looks old. Modern reminds me of steel and glass, which Columbus lacks in their skyline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 07:38 PM

98 posts, read 283,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Birmingham I would bet gives sort of a glimpse of what Pittsburgh used to be given it is nicknamed "The Pittsburgh of The South" due the vast amounts of steel it produces. Actually I lie hehe I've driven through downtown Birmingham it is MUCH smaller than Pittsburgh but it is BOOMING. Most Southern cities these days are alive and booming with activity, especially with the Reverse Migration from the North and Midwest taking place.
The south is booming because people are realizing that unless you like endless winters, cloudy days, and low pay up north come south where the jobs and money are. Not to mention the wonderful climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or