U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 09:26 PM

10 posts, read 15,725 times

Advertisements

Anybody with experience that can compare these? Trying to decide where to move, these are possibilities. Did earlier post re: young family for general suggestions, but to recap briefly: young family-want city amenities, non-exorbitant cost of living, safety at least in parts (I know, St. Louis in general isn't safe!), good public schools, some anonymity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 09:45 PM

362 posts, read 1,631,897 times
St. Louis is just like any other city. Parts are safe, and parts aren't. The vast majority of the metro area is safe as can be. Just stay away from north and east St. Louis, and you'll be fine.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:45 PM

10 posts, read 7,656 times
I actually love Southeast Denver. There is a little town called Parker Colorado which is close to the city life but also allows you to get away from the "big city" stuff and relax.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:50 PM

86,992 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Of those 4, I would pick Denver.

Pittsburgh, where I grew up, has a poor economy and lots of old people. Suburban schools mostly good. Low cost of living (housing) due to poor economy, generally very safe. Awful climate in winter, spring, OK summer, gorgeous falls.

Denver: good economy, lots of young people, good suburban schools. Probably the highest housing cost of the 4, though fairly moderate compared to many. Look it up on city-data. Generally safe. Good 4 season climate. Not near as many snowy days as you probably think. Sometimes too hot in the summer.

Don't know enough about the other two, but I personally don't like hot, humid weather, which both have in abundance.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:35 PM

673 posts, read 3,752,388 times
I would say probubly Louisville would be the most family-friendly city out of all of these cities.

In Denver alot of resources are going to be going towards ESL programs and Denver school funding is very low compared to other cities. Its housing values are also the highest out these four cities especially for a family-neighborhood like Belcaro, Hilltop, South Park Hill, Washington Park. The cheap neighborhoods in Denver are not family-friendly IMO. But you could try Jefferson county which borders Denver county or El Paso County (Colorado Springs) Colorado Springs is full of amenities and the northside of that city has lots of families, affordable and communtable to Denver.

A house in a family-friendly neighborhood of Denver will probubly be prettty expensive, Northern Colorado Springs or suburban Jefferson County will probubly be half as much as Denver proper.

Colorado Springs 60 miles south of Denver would be much more family-friendly especially School District 20 which is Briargate and Colorado Springs is the
3rd cheapest front range county. Its slightly more then the other cities, economy isnt good in Colorado Springs but Denver's suburbs are commutable from District 20. So, basically Denver could be a family-friendly option for you but I would recommend either Jefferson County or El Paso County for reasonable home values.

Anyway, Louisville and Jefferson and El Paso County,Colorado would probubly be areas you might want check into.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:45 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,902,786 times
St. Louis in general not safe? That's a good one. As long as you stay out of North and East St. Louis, which make up a SMALL portion of the MSA, you are safe. Ranked as an MSA St. Louis is not the most dangerous city in the nation. I never go to North or East St. Louis, there is nothing there really worth going to for. St. Louis is a very safe city outside of these parts. The most I've ever had a crime committed in the suburb I live in in the 20 years I've lived here is maybe once or twice. That's it. St. Louis is no more dangerous than any other city in the Midwest. Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, KC, and Minneapolis are as dangerous/more dangerous as St. Louis...it really makes me mad how St. Louis City is used to represent the MSA....St. Louis City is far too small to be used to represent the MSA's safety, IMO.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:03 PM

1,816 posts, read 5,184,453 times
St. Louis is extremely family friendly. It isn't the best place for young single 20-30 somethings, but a great place for married couples with kids, and for kids to grow up. It's also safe. The problem with the safety stats is that it doesn't include St. Louis County which is VERY safe.

All of your choices would be fine for young familes with your interests. Size wize Denver and St. Louis are bigger than Pittsburgh and Louisville is smallest.

Do you prefer certain size, weather, part of the country, lifestyle etc...?

Old 07-11-2007, 08:43 PM

6,553 posts, read 13,752,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddccii77 View Post
Anybody with experience that can compare these? Trying to decide where to move, these are possibilities. Did earlier post re: young family for general suggestions, but to recap briefly: young family-want city amenities, non-exorbitant cost of living, safety at least in parts (I know, St. Louis in general isn't safe!), good public schools, some anonymity.
I think Louisville is safer and more family friendly, but is a bit smaller than the other cities for now. It is also generally cheaper and growing faster. I would choose Louisville for a mid sized city, and Denver for a bit larger one, as they seem to be growing much faster than the other two choices and have better economies. St. Louis and Pittsburgh are awesome towns though, and both are safe despite what people say.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:26 PM

570 posts, read 1,813,831 times
I think you could be happy in any of the listed cities. STL, Pittsburgh & Denver are of similar size. But to me it's not so much which city you live in but where in that city you choose to live and what sort of things you like to do. I live in St. Louis so I know that it has great neighborhoods (and yes they're safe) and it has good music venues, art facilities, outdoor recreation, sports and restaurants. I'm sure the other cities have some of the same.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:59 AM

606 posts, read 2,777,703 times
these cities all have there problems. Pittsburgh has alot of poverty problems. St. Louis has major crime problems. Denver needs a larger metro, along with louisville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or