U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 12:55 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,911,780 times
NYC, Chicago, L.A., San Francisco, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, and Miami and maybe Boston and Philadelphia I'd say are the most likely targets for terrorism, which I find a relatively good definition for vulnerable. And of course there is also D.C. and Baltimore. Las Vegas I might actually agree on after further thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 12:57 AM

1,134 posts, read 915,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
New York without a doubt. In addition to be America's most famous, iconic and representative city abroad (automatic target), you have a city of 8 million people (many more during the workdays) on an island (bridges and tunnels), who use public transit like no other (little if any security in the nation's train/subway stations). I don't think there's any other city in America where there is as great of an opportunity to cause chaos and destruction for as many people as possible with one fell swoop (the objective of terrorists). The city is incredibly vulnerable, as is every city in the U.S.

I wouldn't say it's as vulnerable per se, but Las Vegas is a huge target for terrorists that rarely gets mentioned.
I agree that all cities are vulnerable to certain degrees, but knocking off the cast of Friends over at Warner Brothers with a stick of dynamite would have incurred a greater reaction around the world than bombing New York. Let's stick to the logistics of the situation.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:00 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,911,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Cleveland? Detroit?

Sorry kids, NYC's on the top of this list! Have a good time!
... Chicago isn't far behind.
Cleveland and Detroit ROFLMAO that is a joke. Detroit maybe but not likely. Cleveland? No way Jose Cleveland is about as likely to get as St. Louis, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Columbus, Milwaukee, or the Twin Cities. It wouldn't have as much of an impact on the nation if one of these cities were hit IMO. you need to go after the biggest of the big to truly impact a nation. By biggest I mean most population, biggest driving forces in the nation's economy and business, biggest tourist attractions. NYC and Chicago fit the bill for all the aforementioned categories PERFECTLY. Cleveland and Detroit? Sure it would have an impact and we would remember it, but Chicago and New York are two of the main powerhouses of the country. We could more easily forget if Cleveland and Detroit got taken out IMO hehe. It would be hard, but certainly easier than if Chicago and New York were hit, cities talked about by almost everyone on a daily basis and the most well known.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:52 PM

3,884 posts, read 8,970,914 times
L.A.X. Would stop the world for a while that's for sure! How scary.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:25 PM

332 posts, read 359,833 times
NYC,and maybe Houston because the oil....:|

Old 07-15-2007, 08:12 PM

2,387 posts, read 7,771,254 times
I get a creepy feeling when driving over the bridge from Long Beach to San Pedro, CA passing above the massive port of LA-Long Beach, CA. This is the busiest container port in the US, and one of the top ten in the world. The hundreds of thousands of containers passing through this place each week is mind boggling. One super container ship can off load 8000 containers in less than a day. Just inland from the port area is one of the biggest clusters of oil refineries in the western part of the US. Further inland from that is the second largest megalopolis in America. All of this is downwind direction from the port. I hope somebody out there has some idea of what comes into the port off those ships. 3 or 4 percent of containers inspected doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy comfort level.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:50 AM

2,800 posts, read 9,284,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I wouldn't say it's as vulnerable per se, but Las Vegas is a huge target for terrorists that rarely gets mentioned.
This was my thought! Maybe not vulnerable, but sure seems like Las Vegas could be a major target and no one seems to give it much mention. I live about 90 miles away so I have given Vegas a lot of thought

Old 07-16-2007, 07:38 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,725,107 times
NYC for sure. You got the Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty, the Brooklyn Bridge, the largest transit system in the world, etc. NYC is definitely the biggest target. Then DC, then Chicago.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:39 AM

45 posts, read 132,078 times
Houston also because of its importance in space travel

Old 07-16-2007, 03:25 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,772,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillLuc1982 View Post
Houston also because of its importance in space travel
Maybe Houston, but not because of that. If anything, because of its size in population, Muslim influence, the Port of Houston, and consulates.

Wow. Now that I've thought these out, I'm thinking that maybe this city is a bigger target than I imagined.

People keep saying Chicago, but I can't imagine why. Then again, it's very large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or