U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 12:03 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,579,522 times

Advertisements

Sacramento is cool, just not the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 01:05 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,038,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I posted a question on the CO forum a couple months ago about this same question. I'm aware there is an off-balance in CO, but didn't think it was that high. Where is your source for this demographic statistic? I'd like to see that firsthand.
CensusScope -- Population Pyramid and Age Distribution Statistics ... e.g. for the denver metro area (and you can re-plot this for boulder/longmont with the little thing on the left): obviously not denver proper - you can poke around census sites and google for that where you'll find something like a 120:100 male:female for about the 25-34 age bracket
Denver city, Colorado - Selected Social Characteristics: 2004 ... for more general marital stats, etc.
Denver - News - Of Mice and Menver ... an article on the topic in the westword. note that, while the article claims a 53:47 (113:100) male:female ratio for 20-39 age bracket (as of 2006) is "about even", to boil it down to sopmething very non-sexy but probably illustrative for this kind of thing, imagine if that were musical chairs: if it were 100:100, wouldn't be much of game. make it 110:100, a bunch of people are going to be out and so everyone feels it. not to mention that if you look into these things for other cities, including some in Alaska, you'll see that 113:100 is pretty high, actually, and that's not even for the more realistic group of say 25-35 for a 30-ish straight and single guy, nor for the Boulder area if one was interested in that even more competitive area. denver and boulder have some of the highest male:female ratios for cities their size in the country, it appears. anchorage, AK might be a better place to be as far as that goes.

here's another interesting stat: the undergrad college population has swung to about 115:100 or 120:100 female to male in the US, though at the university of colorado at boulder, it is about 113:100 male to female.

as for the housing prices, for about a $50K salary, the "conventional wisdom" of about 30% to housing would make it about lower $200K range house with typical mortgage and expenses. not easy to find in and around denver, but not impossible either. easier to find a condo or townhouse for that.

Last edited by hello-world; 07-12-2007 at 02:02 PM..

Old 07-12-2007, 06:43 PM

71 posts, read 394,208 times
fishtacos...I live in Columbus and I'd have to disagree with the statement that it is a big college town. I am a grad student at OSU but I live off campus. Columbus is more of a big city with a university in it. I went to Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana for undergrad and THAT is a big college town. Columbus is really a very nice city. If you don't actually attend the school or work on campus, then you really don't even realize the university is even here (except for home football game Saturdays in the fall when traffic around campus gets very bad). I will say that if you don't root for Ohio State football, you will feel out of place. There are a lot of nice suburbs in Columbus and the downtown/bar area is nice as well. There are a lot of job opportunities here and traffic is really never too horribly bad (rush hour can be bad, but that's true in any big city). If you don't mind living in the midwest where the landscape is very flat, then Columbus is a good city to live in. The weather can get pretty cold in the winter, but the other three seasons are nice.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:38 PM

147 posts, read 633,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrISM View Post
I'm looking to get a new job with the FAA and I need to pick 10 cities that I would like to be considered for. I've done a little looking online and came up with a floating list of possibilities.

Sacramento, CA
Portland, OR
Seattle, WA
Denver, CO
Colorado Springs, CO
Kansas City, MO
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Indianapolis, IN
Cincinnati, OH
Columbus, OH
Raleigh, NC
Jacksonville, FL

I'm 25, single and male. Bascially I'm looking for an area with a reasonable cost of living. I make over 50K a year so I don't need dirt cheap, but yet I don't want ludicrous expensive. Ideally I'd like to be able to buy a house in a suburb, but still be able to have access to the city life. My new job will require me to be outdoors sometimes so I'd like a mild climate; no bitter cold winters and no hot and humid summers. Any advice or suggestions you guys might have is appreciated.
wow!
those cities range all over the U.S
i mean move to jacsonville if you ike year round warmness, beaches, etc.
move to denver or colorado springs if you like mountains or even seattle.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:05 AM

5,849 posts, read 15,951,715 times
Since the government is assigning you, I'll bet they take your list of 10 and send you someplace NOT on it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or