U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 10:17 AM

989 posts, read 1,930,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Pittsburgh is gaining more and more attention and traction as being an affordable and more livable alternative to the increasingly congested and increasingly expensive BosWash Corridor. I fled NoVA's traffic congestion, stress, rude people, and high cost-of-living for Pittsburgh, and I'm a completely changed person now (for the better). I have friends inquiring now, too, about Pittsburgh for the same reasons. I prefer quality-of-life over quantiy of life. Yeah, I could make more $$$ and drive a BMW in NoVA by age 30. Yippee. In Pittsburgh I will be driving my Mazda and shopping at Target instead of Armani Exchange, but can you really put a price tag on living nearly stress-free?

There are many people I've met who've moved to Pittsburgh from NYC, NJ, Philly, DC, NoVA, etc. for these same reasons. I think between 2010 and 2020 Pittsburgh is going to be a surprise "sleeper" that wakes up.
Yeah that's what I was sort of getting at. It's not going to be a pop culture sort of popularity, or a "cool city" type of popularity, but it could be popular for other reasons and still get some attention. But the next 10 years is way too soon. The population won't truly level off until 2015, it'll need the next 5 years after that to start posting gains, and most of the construction along the Arena Site/Allegheney River Vision/etc is still under planning. It's nice to dream and be proud of a city, but Pittsburgh has just hit the very beginning of its rebound and needs at least 10 more years before we'll start to actually see a lot of rehabbing/expansion take place, and that's what will get national attention. We're in more of a "pre-planning" phase right now, it's definately comming through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 01:01 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,732,432 times
Albuquerque is at the forefront of the burgeoning but not yet matured hybrid of Native American-Norwegian Death Metal. As soon as that sub-genre of music takes root in the American pop sensibility, Albuquerque is going to take off, I tell you what.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:19 PM

989 posts, read 1,930,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Albuquerque is at the forefront of the burgeoning but not yet matured hybrid of Native American-Norwegian Death Metal. As soon as that sub-genre of music takes root in the American pop sensibility, Albuquerque is going to take off, I tell you what.
Please tell me that you're referencing an old King of the Hill episode...loved that entire joke.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:43 PM

4,467 posts, read 8,438,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheWayToMemphis View Post
By trendy I mean "trendy" in the way that New York was in the 60s and 70s, the way San Francisco and Seattle were in the early 90s, and the way Portland and Austin were around the millenium. These cities, by now, have become largely "yuppified," and although still regarded as "cool" by some, their reputation for being on the cutting edge is slowly fading out. Will America have another city like that again? If so, what will it be?
NY is still very trendy. When I go out of state, I can tell if a person is from NY by the way he or she is dressed. New Yorkers have this style that no other state have it.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:22 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,565,147 times
Boise, Idaho, Indio, CA and New Orleans

Old 12-16-2010, 12:07 PM

2,109 posts, read 5,135,829 times
I'd probably substitute "Trendy" with "affordable". Basically if you look at all of the cities that constantly get mentioned by people as THE place to go, they are all affordable- especially in regards to housing costs. Austin, Raleigh, and now it seems even Nashville are some of the IN places and all of these cities share something in common: They are affordable.

There also seems to be a trend these days of people fleeing places for new ones they believe to be better: Tons and tons of midwesterners and people on the East Coast leaving either because "Its too cold" or- in the case of the East and West Coast- " its too expensive" and so on and so on.

Ive seen the aftermath of this trend. I grew up in TN and now live in CA. In the 11 or so years I've been here my home state has exploded in growth. I hardly recognize the cities anymore because so much of those cities is new and more recently built. There are a TON of people moving there and the same is probably true for cities in TX, NC, GA, and other mainly Southern states. When I run into people whenever I visit my family, it seems like more often than not they're from NJ, MA, NY, or CA rather than being native Tennesseans. When I was a kid nobody from other states ever had an iota of interest in moving there.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:35 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,021,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Boise, Idaho, Indio, CA and New Orleans
I was robbed at gun point in Indio as a teenager; it left a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe it won't always be the poor man's Rancho Mirage.

Trinidad Co. IMO has the potential to become more of a Taos kinda place. Probably won't see hipters wearing Prada there though any time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or