U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 10:52 AM

218 posts, read 741,376 times

Advertisements

By trendy I mean "trendy" in the way that New York was in the 60s and 70s, the way San Francisco and Seattle were in the early 90s, and the way Portland and Austin were around the millenium. These cities, by now, have become largely "yuppified," and although still regarded as "cool" by some, their reputation for being on the cutting edge is slowly fading out. Will America have another city like that again? If so, what will it be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 10:58 AM

10,171 posts, read 12,807,544 times
Yes. Every generation tends to have one of these type of cities. In fact the USA is seeing an emergence in many of these type of cities right now.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Denver, Colorado
Nashville, Tennessee
Raleigh, North Carolina
Salt Lake City, Utah
San Jose, California

Those are some examples of some very hot and "trendy" cities right now in the country. And they're emerging quite rapidly.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:11 AM

4,023 posts, read 6,438,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheWayToMemphis View Post
By trendy I mean "trendy" in the way that New York was in the 60s and 70s, the way San Francisco and Seattle were in the early 90s, and the way Portland and Austin were around the millenium. These cities, by now, have become largely "yuppified," and although still regarded as "cool" by some, their reputation for being on the cutting edge is slowly fading out. Will America have another city like that again? If so, what will it be?

Austin is still seen as cool and trendy for the moment, never this city gained so many people !

Old 12-05-2010, 11:15 AM

218 posts, read 741,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Yes. Every generation tends to have one of these type of cities. In fact the USA is seeing an emergence in many of these type of cities right now.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Denver, Colorado
Nashville, Tennessee
Raleigh, North Carolina
Salt Lake City, Utah
San Jose, California

Those are some examples of some very hot and "trendy" cities right now in the country. And they're emerging quite rapidly.
Really though? I can see what you're saying, but will Albuquerque or Salt Lake City ever be on the cutting edge of music, film, art, just all-around general "culture"? Maybe it's because I'm on the other side of the US, but I just don't see it. I was in SLC and ABQ in 2009, and while I liked them, the vibe I got was far from the vibe of an Austin or Portland.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheWayToMemphis View Post
Really though? I can see what you're saying, but will Albuquerque or Salt Lake City ever be on the cutting edge of music, film, art, just all-around general "culture"? Maybe it's because I'm on the other side of the US, but I just don't see it. I was in SLC and ABQ in 2009, and while I liked them, the vibe I got was far from the vibe of an Austin or Portland.
Yes!

Actually I was going to add that in my last post but just refrained from doing so. Albuquerque, Austin, New York City, & Detroit are hot spots for Film Studio relocations. Those are the cities where Film Studios and Film Production Companies are moving too.

Well with Albuquerque you have to give it time, its still a Metropolitan Area of less than 1 Million people and for its size its been carrying way above its weight. It's got an everlasting expanse of a Film Industry that's increasing by the year into far more prominence. And there are quite a number of articles you can find on Albuquerque's Film Industry increasing from the effects of it being a more affordable tax base for Film Production than outlets like Southland.

I don't know too much about Salt Lake City to be honest, but all I know from before is that it's a hot spot for a lot of tech and private corporations. Basically its where Portland & Austin were in 1995.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:15 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,985,501 times
What is hot and trendy about Raleigh??? My niece lives in Cary, and hates it. It is a very boring enclave..

Old 12-05-2010, 12:19 PM

4,023 posts, read 6,438,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
What is hot and trendy about Raleigh??? My niece lives in Cary, and hates it. It is a very boring enclave..
It's trendy for geeks & nerds

Old 12-05-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
The place is still relatively small right now. It's recorded the fastest gain rate in the nation with 42% increase since 2000. The things that make Raleigh very desirable is that it has the 4th largest Venture Capital Investment in the country, when its the 31st largest Metropolitan Area.

It's also home to premier universities and one of the absolute most educated Metropolitan Areas in the country. Along with favorable tax climate and the ever expanding market for Film due to tax breaks and incentives given out to Film Companies in terms of affordability its become a major destination for corporate power as well.

It's not what Raleigh is right now, its what it is becoming. Compared to its in state neighbor Charlotte, Raleigh hasn't had much of a slow down economically during the recession. Its actually been one of the best off in the recession and continues to lead.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:37 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,985,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HReborn View Post
It's trendy for geeks & nerds

That is so true, Her husband, I think he is a great guy, but is a total nerd.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
That is so true, Her husband, I think he is a great guy, but is a total nerd.
Eh "Trendy" cities might be cool.

But Cosmopolitan cities are even better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or