U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what city should i choose?
minneapolis, MN 23 53.49%
philadelphia, PA 12 27.91%
providence, RI 4 9.30%
none (other options...) 4 9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2007, 11:32 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,755,185 times

Advertisements

I skipped a post, but feel I should comment on it. If you live remotely close to the u, and don't have to commute or work too far away, I think it is pretty silly to have a car. I find the buses to be pretty good (they usually get you to all the major points in the city) and it is a big bike campus, some stick through winter. Also, parking is tight and expensive. It is certainly possible, but I would personally advise against it. From my recollection, Temple is also in a very urban part of Phila., I would look further into having a car there also.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 04:15 PM

154 posts, read 641,907 times
good point, i'll definitely consider that too. thanks again! keep the voting up!

Old 07-14-2007, 07:50 AM

3,475 posts, read 4,369,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
From my recollection, Temple is also in a very urban part of Phila., I would look further into having a car there also.
You don't really need to a car to go to Temple. I think I can safely say most students live off-campus (though I haven't actually looked at statistics). Public transportation will get you to and from campus pretty conveniently (though I'd think twice about using it late at night).

I'm not necessarily pulling for Philadelphia here. I'm kind of down on it these days, and yet I think it might be a good place to stay temporarily as a student. Although one thing I've been thinking as I've considered relocating: wouldn't it have been fun, as a student, to have stayed in some idyllic college/resort town (say, along the California coast) where I wouldn't necessarily have been able to afford to live long-term (especially if I wanted to buy a house)? Just a thought. Of course, going to a school that has a good program in what you want probably should to be the first consideration.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:32 PM

154 posts, read 641,907 times
thanks for the insight, apartmentnomad!

also, could anyone tell me what a standard outfit in minneapolis during the winter is like? i'd obviously have to get used to it, but even though i'm from tampa, living in MA these past few years has really acclimated me to the whole four seasons thing, but nothing like minnesota i'm sure. thanks in advance.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:56 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,251,599 times
I can't speak regarding Philly, but I have definitely been to Providence and you are right, not a friendly place. At least not right up front.

Minneapolis would be my choice.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:35 PM

45 posts, read 131,922 times
Minneapolis by far -- One year of the East Coast was enough for me. I'm moving back to the Midwest! I was very impressed with Minneapolis seeing that people are open-minded. I have noticed that Minneapolis is a GLBT-friendly city, too.

Midwest represent!

Old 07-17-2007, 11:24 AM

5,857 posts, read 14,041,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillLuc1982 View Post
Minneapolis by far -- One year of the East Coast was enough for me. I'm moving back to the Midwest! I was very impressed with Minneapolis seeing that people are open-minded. I have noticed that Minneapolis is a GLBT-friendly city, too.

Midwest represent!
BillLuc, I'm a little puzzled by your post. Have you moved back to the Midwest yet? If no, do you consider OH an East Coast state?

Old 07-17-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
BillLuc, I'm a little puzzled by your post. Have you moved back to the Midwest yet? If no, do you consider OH an East Coast state?
I'm moving back to Ohio Sunday. Ohio resembles places like Minneapolis, Iowa, and Indiana more than it resembles DC, New Jersey, and New York. Even Pittsburgh has more midwestern traits than East Coast traits. Plus, on maps, Ohio is considered Midwest/Great Lakes.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:44 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,755,185 times
Ohio is one of my favorite states, but it has little in common with Mpls. It is a midwestern state, but the MW should really be divided. Ohio, Western Penn., Michigan, Eastern Mo. and the major cities in them are much denser and older (think Cincinnati) than the western part of the midwest. Mpls. is similar to Chicago, Milwaukee and Omaha. Ohio and the like are a perfect unison of midwestern persona and eastern architecture, IMO

Old 07-17-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Ohio is one of my favorite states, but it has little in common with Mpls. It is a midwestern state, but the MW should really be divided. Ohio, Western Penn., Michigan, Eastern Mo. and the major cities in them are much denser and older (think Cincinnati) than the western part of the midwest. Mpls. is similar to Chicago, Milwaukee and Omaha. Ohio and the like are a perfect unison of midwestern persona and eastern architecture, IMO
You're right -- eastern architecture plus midwestern persona. I miss that persona. Luckily my friendships back home are all intact. We midwesterners are loyal and expand our circles of friends. In DC, I only made one true friend and she's moving to Richomnd. Made a bunch of fake-___ friends but not true friends. People don't like to get out of their cocoons in the Mid-Atlantic, unlike in the Midwest where you are always meeting someone new. I am so glad I'll get to experience a sense of community!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or