U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what city should i choose?
minneapolis, MN 23 53.49%
philadelphia, PA 12 27.91%
providence, RI 4 9.30%
none (other options...) 4 9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2007, 07:36 PM

154 posts, read 641,907 times

Advertisements

i've posted before in both the minneapolis & philly forums, but now i'm ready to make a final decision.

i'm 18 (almost 19) years old, and about to enter my second semester at a decent college outside of hartford, CT. it's good for now, but i need a college that will give me more options in terms of my major (geography), and culture. hartford is a nice city, but just not the place for me. i'm buddhist, bisexual, and a producer/DJ (currently not DJ'ing though). i'm looking for a nice, clean, quirky city. i think these 3 cities all fit the bill.

i'm hoping to transfer to one of these 3 colleges in the spring:
- university of minnesota: twin cities (minneapolis, MN)
- temple university (philadelphia, PA)
- rhode island college (providence, RI)

anyway, to help with my decision, i'll leave all college details out of it, since that's a whole different thing altogether. all 3 have their pros and cons, but overall they'd all be great fits for me. i just need to know what city would be my most successful choice.

basically, i'm originally from tampa, FL and i currently live in MA. i've also spent time in terre haute, IN & new britain, CT (where my current college is). minneapolis, philly & providence all seem amazing, but they each have a couple downsides to them. minneapolis is too cold and the people seem too reserved, but i'm willing to work at it. philly isn't as friendly as i would like (remember, i'm from tampa, so manners/courteousness are very important to me!), the drivers are really rude, and a lot of parts of the city are REALLY gritty. providence is also not as friendly as i'd like, and it's also a little too close to my current "home" in MA.

i'm putting a poll, so you can either just vote, reply, or both. thanks so much, i really appreciate this.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 09:11 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,798,899 times
Minneapolis is a heck of a lot more open minded than Philly (I grew up in Philly). Providence is quite a different city from both, so it is a tough comparison.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:54 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,755,185 times
I can't talk about Providence or Phila., but if there is one thing I know, it is Mpls. I would describe us as social libertarians, and alot of people love that about us. A GLBT friendly city for sure. Minnesota is a huge school, I can't think of many places that would be more open, diverse and have a wider range of options in your major. Minneapolis is reserved, but once you get into a circle we will help you bury bodies. I find it a polite city. People usually stop for the crosswalk sign. The city is unusually clean (I think it is a Scandinavian thing), apparently fairly comparable to places like Hensinki and Stockholm (see my reasoning) We have adapted to the weather. The Univ of Minn. has tunnels, downtown has skyways. Malls, et. cetera. Take a your vacations in January and save July. Where ever you end up, the best of luck on your move.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:55 PM

74 posts, read 344,065 times
Minneapolis/St Paul. If you can deal with the winters, and want to live in a clean , open minded and fun place, it's for you. Good luck !

Old 07-11-2007, 09:57 PM

102 posts, read 415,942 times
Well I'm a geography major at the University of Minnesota here in Minneapolis. I can't speak for the other two cities but I can tell you about Minneapolis. First of all the U of M is a great school overall and one of the top geography schools in the country. I'd definitely recommend the school especially if you are a geography major. The city of Minneapolis is very nice. Lots to do for a city in the Midwest, good nightlife, good music scene, and clean. There is going to be a lot more to do in Minneapolis than a place like Providence. Also if you went to the U of M you would be close to everything since it is located not too far from downtown. The people are pretty nice here but all the people I know are from college. I don't have much experience dealing with people outside of the campus. The one big drawback to the city is the cold winters. It would definitely be an adjustment. I'm sure you have dealt with snow and whatnot in MA but it's way more extreme in Minnesota. Some people like the winters here and others hate them so it just kind of depends on what type of person you are. But if you can deal with the winters I think Minneapolis would be a good choice.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:57 PM

awesome, thanks for all the replies so far. i really appreciate it.

i had asked this before in the mpls forum, but i forget what the answers were. are there any buddhist temples around the twin cities?

edit: sonic, that's awesome you're a geography major at U of M too. what's your concentration? as of now i might be going the demography route, but i'll take any of it... i love all aspects of geography, cartography, demography, planning, travel, tourism, etc. and yeah, the winters are definitely the only thing i'm really worried about. i AM a tampa boy, after all, but after living in MA for high school and still currently, i've definitely gotten accustomed to 4 seasons, and grown to appreciate it.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:05 PM

102 posts, read 415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroline95 View Post
awesome, thanks for all the replies so far. i really appreciate it.

i had asked this before in the mpls forum, but i forget what the answers were. are there any buddhist temples around the twin cities?

edit: sonic, that's awesome you're a geography major at U of M too. what's your concentration? as of now i might be going the demography route, but i'll take any of it... i love all aspects of geography, cartography, demography, planning, travel, tourism, etc. and yeah, the winters are definitely the only thing i'm really worried about. i AM a tampa boy, after all, but after living in MA for high school and still currently, i've definitely gotten accustomed to 4 seasons, and grown to appreciate it.
I havn't exactly nailed it down to something too specific. I'm interested in a lot of areas as well. I'm thinking of concentrating on GIS though. I'm also interested in urban planning as well as stuff like travel and demographics. But yeah there's a lot of options here which is nice. Good professors as well.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:15 PM

niiiiice, hearing **** like that makes me really pumped... gotta get good grades this semester! gonna apply early as possible just to make sure there's no hang ups based on available spots or anything like that... cos obviously i'd be living on campus to start with... my car, who knows... saw all that **** for the "parking lottery" lol, i wonder how my luck would fare with that!

GIS is probably the best field in geography right now so that's a good choice! it's so hard narrowing it down!

Old 07-12-2007, 03:00 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,755,185 times
I don't know if these count.
Minnesota Zen Meditation Center Welcomes You
Mission Statement (http://www.minnesotabuddhistvihara.org/home.htm - broken link)
I believe a huge temple just opened in the middle of nowhere in Dakota County. Here's a story.
MPR: Cambodian Buddhist temple opens in Hampton

Old 07-12-2007, 05:12 PM

yeah, that definitely helps, minnehahapolitan. thanks a lot!

keep voting everyone, i want as many responses as possible! thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or