U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer the following mountain area the most...
North Carolina Mountains 46 32.39%
Colorado Mountains 96 67.61%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 08:04 PM

87 posts, read 353,784 times

Advertisements

I think each region has it's own beauty that can't be found in either place. I would have to call it a tie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 08:18 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,459,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Don't bring Houston into every thread about beauty. Houston is better than any mountain in freakin NC. Maybe not CO though. Keystone is damn beautiful.

Obviously, that is definitely a matter of opinion.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:20 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,877,672 times
The Appalacians are alot like the Adirondaks in New York but not quite as pretty, while the Colorada Rockies are in a class by themselves maybe equalled only by Sierra Nevada. I don't think it is fair to compare hills to breathtaking mtns Also, if you value these areas staying beautiful, maybe not so many people should be allowed to move to them, you know OVERDEVELOPMENT!

Old 07-13-2007, 08:24 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,877,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Don't bring Houston into every thread about beauty. Houston is better than any mountain in freakin NC. Maybe not CO though. Keystone is damn beautiful.
I totally agree, stop bringing up Houston in every post! By the way, parts of Houston blow away anything in N Carolina for beauty

Old 07-13-2007, 08:27 PM

21,635 posts, read 30,244,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
I totally agree, stop bringing up Houston in every post! By the way, parts of Houston blow away anything in N Carolina for beauty
Like I told Guerilla sorry you're so touchy about Houston, I guess you're easily blown away

Old 07-13-2007, 08:50 PM

1,406 posts, read 4,672,744 times
Sheesh...what's with the rude posts all of a sudden? The attacks aren't necessary.

Anyway...I love both the NC/TN mountains and all of them in Colorado. Though quite different, they all appeal to certain parts of my heart!

The Appalachians are much older than the Rockies and their beauty is striking in the serenity.

The Rockies are younger and tougher. But for those of us in the eastern USA, they take our breath away with their immenseness.

I love driving in the mountains! That's why we got a 4x4 Jeep Wrangler... love those back roads on both sides of the country!

So can I vote for both?

Old 07-13-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
The Appalacians are alot like the Adirondaks in New York but not quite as pretty, while the Colorada Rockies are in a class by themselves maybe equalled only by Sierra Nevada. I don't think it is fair to compare hills to breathtaking mtns Also, if you value these areas staying beautiful, maybe not so many people should be allowed to move to them, you know OVERDEVELOPMENT!
The definition of a mountain is as follows:

a natural elevation of the earth's surface rising more or less abruptly to a summit, and attaining an altitude greater than that of a hill, usually greater than 2000 ft.

The highest point in the Apps is 6,684 feet. Sure, the entire range is not that high but they still are mountains, not hills. Hills you will find in the Texas Hill Country.

The Adirondacks highest point is 5,344 feet. I've never seen them, but I'm sure they're lovely as well. They too are not hills, but mountains.

A characteristic of the Appalachians when compared to mountains in western North America is their extensive forest. With only a few minor scattered exceptions, the entire range of the Appalachian Mountains is cloaked in deep, thick, dense forest. To the north, and at higher elevations, a dark, humid evergreen forest of spruce and fir covers the mountains, while further south and lower down a more open broadleaf mix of birch, oak, and beech predominates.

With all these lovely mountains in the eastern part of the United States, it only adds beauty to the area and beats flatland for sure.

Unfortunately we people who like those mountains can't do anything about OVERDEVELOPMENT. It is bound to happen and like most areas of the country, timber is cut so houses and boring buildings can be erected. I wish progress would go away and not ruin any more unspoiled land.

There is so much flatland in this country that isn't beautiful; I wish that's where people would flock and buildings would be erected. That isn't going to happen though, I'm sure.

By the way, I'd love living near the Rockies, but I think it would be too cold for me in that area. Where I want to live, the winters are milder, and I like that.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txstar View Post
I think each region has it's own beauty that can't be found in either place. I would have to call it a tie.
Mountains are beautiful wherever they're located. I just love them. I agree; it is a tie, but I voted for NC only because I want to live in the Appalachian Mountain area in VA. CO would be a bit cold for me.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
Sheesh...what's with the rude posts all of a sudden? The attacks aren't necessary.

Anyway...I love both the NC/TN mountains and all of them in Colorado. Though quite different, they all appeal to certain parts of my heart!

The Appalachians are much older than the Rockies and their beauty is striking in the serenity.

The Rockies are younger and tougher. But for those of us in the eastern USA, they take our breath away with their immenseness.

I love driving in the mountains! That's why we got a 4x4 Jeep Wrangler... love those back roads on both sides of the country!

So can I vote for both?
What a delightful post, and thanks for the information about the mountain ranges. I knew that, but had actually forgotten about it. The information was embedded deep within the gray matter and sometimes doesn't always surface in a timely manner.

I vote for all mountains in the world because I just plain love mountains.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:18 PM

1,406 posts, read 4,672,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
I vote for all mountains in the world because I just plain love mountains.

Oh, me too!!! I don't know what it is, but there is just something very spiritual about being in the mountains and acknowledging all of God's handiwork!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.