U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer the following mountain area the most...
North Carolina Mountains 46 32.39%
Colorado Mountains 96 67.61%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 01:39 AM

404 posts, read 545,218 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Houston, but if she hates it, then we should all take note. She must have a valid and logical point.

As for the mountains. My family is from Mt. Airy, NC, but I really love Colorado. The only thing NC mountain have over Colorado mountains is that the ocean isn't that far away.

I've been to RMNP and it's not that great. I enjoyed the Tetons more. However, I never get tired of Colorado National Monument. Or is it a National Park now. It's been 2 years since my last trip.

Have a great day!

William
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 10:12 AM

18,633 posts, read 27,060,365 times
^^take note how? You mean, listen to her and her judgement and not rely on your own by visiting it on your own?

Quote:
The highest point in the Apps is 6,684 feet. Sure, the entire range is not that high but they still are mountains, not hills. Hills you will find in the Texas Hill Country.
From what I was told. The Hill Country was part of the Oachita Mountains which was built up in the same period as the Apps on the east coast and they connected together. I forgot what the name of the orogeny was but it makes sense. So the hill country wasn't always hills and I wish they was still tall. A geologist told me that the Apps went as far west as Texas but is buried in Mississippi and Louisiana due to erosion. Also, the land DC is on use to as high as the mountains of North Carolina but was easily eroded. Geology is a special subject to learn.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:35 PM

5,441 posts, read 8,151,472 times
Not even close to me!!

Old 01-05-2012, 12:11 PM
s06

105 posts, read 222,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Which of these states mountainous areas do you like the most? Why?
I like the Rocky Mountains- I was awestruck when I first saw them, when I was around nine years old. It's neat when there's snow in the mountains, but not in the foothills, in Denver or Colorado Springs- People get to look at nice, snowy scenary without having to deal with the snow, themselves!

After that, the Appalachian Mountains seemed a little disappointing. They're still nice, just not as impressive to me.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:00 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,772,678 times
Rocky Mountains, in a landslide. <---- See what I did there

Old 01-06-2012, 02:03 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,602,891 times
There are mountains and then there are Mountains, Colorado has the latter.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:08 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,630,288 times
Rockies. Way more impressive and as a skier, NC doesn't offer much.
For warm weather activities though, NC's mountains are pretty good.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:39 PM

8,628 posts, read 13,890,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Rockies. Way more impressive and as a skier, NC doesn't offer much.
For warm weather activities though, NC's mountains are pretty good.
More than pretty good, they are great, no AC needed, low humidity, above 3,000 feet. My house was in the Blue Ridge at 4,000 ft.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:40 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,698,382 times
"I've been to RMNP and it's not that great. "

You are crazy RMNP is gorgeous! Maybe that is why it is one of the most visited in the Nation!

Old 02-23-2013, 06:18 PM

8,628 posts, read 13,890,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepizzaguy View Post
I've never been to Houston, but if she hates it, then we should all take note. She must have a valid and logical point.

As for the mountains. My family is from Mt. Airy, NC, but I really love Colorado. The only thing NC mountain have over Colorado mountains is that the ocean isn't that far away.

I've been to RMNP and it's not that great. I enjoyed the Tetons more. However, I never get tired of Colorado National Monument. Or is it a National Park now. It's been 2 years since my last trip.

Have a great day!

William
Not far from the ocean ? We usually went to Florida for ocean or SC. Sometimes. Much shorter than the NC shore. A lot of people do not realize how long NC. Really is, especially if you live in the Blur Ridge ( the best part of the NC Mtns.) as I did. Remember in the Blue Ridge you live in the Mountians. In the highest Mtns in the west you usually travel the high roads, but live in the valleys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.