U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer the following mountain area the most...
North Carolina Mountains 46 32.39%
Colorado Mountains 96 67.61%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 06:31 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,886,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
The thing that creeps me out about mountains is when you go downhill on extremely steep grades.
Last time we rode the Blue Ridge near Asheville it was so foggy! I agree that the mountains between Asheville and Boone will sometimes take your breath away. I like the parkway between Glendale Springs and the Mabry Mill. It is so quiet and peaceful and not so close to air.

Speaking of air, have you ever been on the Skyline Drive?

I am like the posters that like both the mountains. They are both beautiful in their own way. Thanks for warning me about that million dollar road. We rode the train halfway to Silverton but it was the wrong time of year to take the trip that included the million dollar road.

We went to Mesa Verde and the Blue Ridge Parkway is nothing beside of that. My knuckles were so white it is a wonder I didn't break whatever I was holding onto. The wind was almost blowing us away too. Amazing place to visit. Wish we had more time to have spent there. I may sometime get the courage to go back.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesa_Verde

Put a choice of "I like both" and I can vote on your poll. I love mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 08:52 PM

8,628 posts, read 13,890,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Last time we rode the Blue Ridge near Asheville it was so foggy! I agree that the mountains between Asheville and Boone will sometimes take your breath away. I like the parkway between Glendale Springs and the Mabry Mill. It is so quiet and peaceful and not so close to air.

Speaking of air, have you ever been on the Skyline Drive?

I am like the posters that like both the mountains. They are both beautiful in their own way. Thanks for warning me about that million dollar road. We rode the train halfway to Silverton but it was the wrong time of year to take the trip that included the million dollar road.

We went to Mesa Verde and the Blue Ridge Parkway is nothing beside of that. My knuckles were so white it is a wonder I didn't break whatever I was holding onto. The wind was almost blowing us away too. Amazing place to visit. Wish we had more time to have spent there. I may sometime get the courage to go back.
Mesa Verde National Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Put a choice of "I like both" and I can vote on your poll. I love mountains.
You missed the best part of the BRP , it's south from Ashevillie ends at enterence to Smokey Park. At one point you get up to 6,000 ft., . North from Asheville its all down hill, except the turn off to Mt Mitchell. I drove the entire road, running the ridges in a 1937 Packard.......several times during the 18 years I lived 40 miles off the Parkway. Many times to Mesa Verde area too, all those years in vintage cars.....Where the Rocks are Red Country.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:45 PM

666 posts, read 1,028,954 times
I prefer the mountains in Florida. Especially in South Florida. LOL

Old 02-23-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
I prefer the mountains in Florida. Especially in South Florida. LOL
Ya ,one of the reasons the Seminole Wind's gona blow South Florida off the map....one day soon. Key West will be spared of coarse .lol

Old 03-07-2013, 08:39 PM

778 posts, read 827,626 times
Rockies, quite easily. No contest really.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:57 PM

7 posts, read 4,945 times
While both are beautiful in their own right I give the edge to the Rockies.http://www.govazd.info/28.jpghttp://www.govazd.info/02.jpghttp://www.govazd.info/03.jpghttp://www.govazd.info/05.jpghttp://www.govazd.info/04.jpghttp://www.govazd.info/29.jpg

Old 03-08-2013, 10:56 PM

628 posts, read 758,767 times
To look at... Rockies

To play in... Smokies

Old 03-09-2013, 01:30 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,515,284 times
Colorado mountains make NC "mountains" look like hills.
Colorado has much more dramatic and scenic mountain range. Case closed.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Colorado mountains make NC "mountains" look like hills.
Colorado has much more dramatic and scenic mountain range. Case closed.
Not really, when was the last time you stood sure footed at 14,000 foot, without a parka in summer ? And when was the last time you sat comfortable at 4000 foot looking at the bald's and the valley's threw the blue mist, while eating your lunch at a turn out on the Blue Ridge Parkway ? Chances are neither ......

Old 03-09-2013, 10:53 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,353,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieIndy View Post
To look at... Rockies

To play in... Smokies
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Not really, when was the last time you stood sure footed at 14,000 foot, without a parka in summer ? And when was the last time you sat comfortable at 4000 foot looking at the bald's and the valley's threw the blue mist, while eating your lunch at a turn out on the Blue Ridge Parkway ? Chances are neither ......
Um, last August? Guessing you've never summitted a 14er in the summer if you think you need a parka.

And obviously your second scenario is so specific to the Smokies that the answer is no I could just as easily come up with a bunch of detailed scenarios that can only be had in the Rockies...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.