Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer the following mountain area the most...
North Carolina Mountains 47 32.87%
Colorado Mountains 96 67.13%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 03:38 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,935,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
Why?

Um, last August? Guessing you've never summitted a 14er in the summer if you think you need a parka.

And obviously your second scenario is so specific to the Smokies that the answer is no I could just as easily come up with a bunch of detailed scenarios that can only be had in the Rockies...
Well, I sure have, many times above 10,000 for over a week. ( Colorado in vintage car ) lets see, Bear Tooth Pass in June. (1913 Marmon )Lots of snow and a heavy coat would have been wonderful.I have been over that pass many times in modern iron, and its always been cold.
The same apples in the Southern East Coast ranges if you are at 6,000 or better, but usually no snow.( I lived there 18 years in the Blue Ridge ).You think the Blue Ridge parkway is specific ? Yes its special but hardly one spot, being over 400 miles long. There quite a few high peaks ( most have a road ) around 6,000 in the Balsams which are all part of the Blue Ridge Mtns. The Smokes is actually another range with many balds. We are talking North Carolina here ! Va too but at lower altitudes.
So, I have seen almost all the Rockies ( Canadian are best ), and all the southern Mts in the east. yes there are some places out west you can actually be in the Mts. and not just look at them, but considering the size in sq miles into the mix there are more places to " live " in the east , even at 5,000 ft.. I lived at 4100 . We had northern winters, sometimes brutal ., but again it sometimes is great to look around at what you see, not just strain your neck looking up at ranges than only Mt. goats could traverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 12:22 AM

643 posts, read 1,017,947 times
Quote:
Why?

Um, last August? Guessing you've never summitted a 14er in the summer if you think you need a parka.

And obviously your second scenario is so specific to the Smokies that the answer is no I could just as easily come up with a bunch of detailed scenarios that can only be had in the Rockies...
I love the appalachian trail. I prefer the type of flora for camping and hiking atv riding. I just prefer the wetter climate overall.

I do love the rockies majestic background, I lived in Denver for 5 years, but I'm not into wintersports and I don't care for the areas wildfires, ie dry climate.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:35 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Well, I sure have, many times above 10,000 for over a week. ( Colorado in vintage car ) lets see, Bear Tooth Pass in June. (1913 Marmon )Lots of snow and a heavy coat would have been wonderful.I have been over that pass many times in modern iron, and its always been cold.
The same apples in the Southern East Coast ranges if you are at 6,000 or better, but usually no snow.( I lived there 18 years in the Blue Ridge ).You think the Blue Ridge parkway is specific ? Yes its special but hardly one spot, being over 400 miles long. There quite a few high peaks ( most have a road ) around 6,000 in the Balsams which are all part of the Blue Ridge Mtns. The Smokes is actually another range with many balds. We are talking North Carolina here ! Va too but at lower altitudes.
So, I have seen almost all the Rockies ( Canadian are best ), and all the southern Mts in the east. yes there are some places out west you can actually be in the Mts. and not just look at them, but considering the size in sq miles into the mix there are more places to " live " in the east , even at 5,000 ft.. I lived at 4100 . We had northern winters, sometimes brutal ., but again it sometimes is great to look around at what you see, not just strain your neck looking up at ranges than only Mt. goats could traverse.
You must have stuck out like a sore thumb. In my 15 years in CO I never packed a coat on a 14er hike in the summer (I've done about half of them), and hardly saw anyone that did. Usually it was shorts or maybe light pants + t-shirt with a fleece or mid-layer to pull over at the summit.

Colorado has 56 fourteeners, and all of them are hikeable...most of the Rockies have extremely easy access, especially in the warmer months. But even in the winter you have tons of options for world-class skiing & snowboarding and mountain cabins you can snowshoe into for a couple days camping.

I'm not really getting the rest of your post about altitude and livability but I guess there are more places to live in the "mountains" in NC? I think that's what you're saying. Jobs are scarce and winters are brutal for everyday living in the Rockies, so most everyone lives on the Front Range as I'm sure you know. However I still say the CO Rockies win for overall access and activities over NC mountains.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:02 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,935,595 times
Quote:
You must have stuck out like a sore thumb. In my 15 years in CO I never packed a coat on a 14er hike in the summer (I've done about half of them), and hardly saw anyone that did. Usually it was shorts or maybe light pants + t-shirt with a fleece or mid-layer to pull over at the summit.

Colorado has 56 fourteeners, and all of them are hikeable...most of the Rockies have extremely easy access, especially in the warmer months. But even in the winter you have tons of options for world-class skiing & snowboarding and mountain cabins you can snowshoe into for a couple days camping.

I'm not really getting the rest of your post about altitude and livability but I guess there are more places to live in the "mountains" in NC? I think that's what you're saying. Jobs are scarce and winters are brutal for everyday living in the Rockies, so most everyone lives on the Front Range as I'm sure you know. However I still say the CO Rockies win for overall access and activities over NC mountains.
All places have their pluses and their negatives. The best time in my whole life must have been In June entering Yellestone east portal 3 feet of snow, high winds, and more snow, in a 1913 car, no top, no wipers, no heater.Then entering Old Fathful lodge as one huge snow ball, just as the gyser welcomed us.....yes, i did stand out! ( we did have clothing for all seasons). Yes, you must have stuck out too , shorts and shirt in a raging blizard. Weather of all kinds can come any month at 14,000.
You must not have traveled the Blue Ridge, or you would know how special those old worn down Mts. Can be. There is no way to compare the western peaks and the NC ranges. No winner, no looser. I am sure you will laugh at my current home in the Huron Mts......where do you think they are ? I have been everywhere in NA a time or two....I know.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:12 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,862,543 times
I have to go with Colorado!

Old 07-16-2013, 08:54 AM

84 posts, read 163,910 times
Default I'm late, hope it's worth it

We had to move from ski country in Colorado. After 20 years it had become "home" for us; sad but necessary. We chose western NC after intensive research. It was a good choice. The Appalachians are steeped (pun not intended) in interesting history and they are beautiful. I would still return to Summit County if I could and not just for the skiing. On the other hand my perspective is a little different from most posters. Both areas DO have a lot of pluses and a minimum of negatives unless you can't take the cold, or don't like steep, or must have above tree line terrain, etc, etc. My reaction to the change was that WNC was like a compressed Rockies. If you think about it a compressed Rockies would have steeper road grades with more curves, actually scarier than the Rockies. The flora are different but both beautiful. The perspective from towns and cities is usually similar such as the 4000' difference between Frisco Colorado at 9000' and nearby mountains and the 3000' difference in Asheville and other towns. Some people need a jacket at 14000': some people need one at 6000'. There are no winners and losers.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:10 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,883,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Haha, sometimes when there are cars/trucks with bad exhaust in there, you almost need to!
Put recirc on your car prior to entering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.