Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 04:34 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
I know this is going to sound crazy to some of you, but I have a real liking of "rustbelt" cities. I find old rusty wharehouses and brick buildings appealing to the eyes. Does anyone else feel like this?
This is the topic of the thread!
These threads start innocently enough, but then the trolls and bashers step in to disrupt them! DanielJ, there are PLENTY of threads where you can bash Detroit - why do it here? We get the message - ya don't like it!

Anybody got pix of their towns? This thread screams out for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 04:38 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,871,087 times
I would take the rustbelt over the sunbelt any day!

Old 12-12-2010, 05:25 PM

18 posts, read 28,769 times
Rust belt cities have an aged look to them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT11IdWPvfc

Old 12-12-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
Danielj72 why don't you do me a favor? since you are forever going on and on about you living in the "other MI" and spewing your hate on Detroit, why don't you do all of us a favor and stay in ur little boring ass town and keep Detroit out of your posts.
A good idea from D.L.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:42 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
Danielj72 why don't you do me a favor? since you are forever going on and on about you living in the "other MI" and spewing your hate on Detroit, why don't you do all of us a favor and stay in ur little boring ass town and keep Detroit out of your posts. Its funny how every posts I see from you involves bashing Detroit. You live in GR right? well worry about the westside of the state. You even get on the Detroit forum to spew your hate when GR clearly has its own forum smh

I do not live in GR either. I live in the center of the state, out here with all the cornstalks and dairy cows. Yes you are right, we have clashed over and over. I will not change the way I post for you as you have no right to tell me what I can and cannot post in regards to Detroit. I was pointing out the FACT that Detroits terrible reputation ends up being pinned on the rest of us in Michigan as well. In calling Detroit decayed I dont think I was bashing it, but speaking an undeniable truth about the place.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
I was pointing out the FACT that Detroits terrible reputation ends up being pinned on the rest of us in Michigan as well.
You're off topic on this thread.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:16 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
You're off topic on this thread.

I am not off topic, you just dont like what I am saying. Rust belt is a negative label, one that brings up images of closed factorys, unemployment and hopelessness. WHole states are now labeled with the term rust belt and that is what I dont like. What you dont like is that I said places like Detroit exemplify the rust belt stereotype. There are many cities in the so called "rust belt" that have the historic buildings and the history that people on here say they like. Here in Michigan you can find those things in Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids without the rampent decay.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:55 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,391,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I do not live in GR either. I live in the center of the state, out here with all the cornstalks and dairy cows. Yes you are right, we have clashed over and over. I will not change the way I post for you as you have no right to tell me what I can and cannot post in regards to Detroit. I was pointing out the FACT that Detroits terrible reputation ends up being pinned on the rest of us in Michigan as well. In calling Detroit decayed I dont think I was bashing it, but speaking an undeniable truth about the place.
cornstalks and dairy cows? hahaha you really have no room to talk. People in other parts of MI talk so much **** in spite of the fact without Detroit, MI wouldn't be where it is as a whole! Yes even with Detroit going through its problems. Why do you think the most wealth is concentrated in SE MI? This makes me laugh, bash all you want but if we were to somehow annex Detroit to another state, where the hell would MI really be?

besides what does Detroit's reputation have to do with THIS thread? nothing. So like I said all you do is bash Detroit. Whether you live in GR or not you have said over and over that is where you're from.....there is clearly a GR forum......oh wait I've actually seen you bash Detroit on there as well smh.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:11 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,246 times
I'm going to stand in defense of Detroit, too ... people love to say what an absolutely wretched city that it is, when that is simply not the truth!
Detroit ( like my beloved Cleveland ) is unfairly maligned, often because the city has experienced "some levels" of a serious decline.
There are some pretty torn up and decimated areas of Detroit ... but I've seen similar areas in NYC, Chicago, Baltimore, Cleveland and Pittsburgh ...
So, why malign an entire city for a few bad areas? Detroit still has incredible wealth, some very affluent and upscale suburbs and a beautiful and historic city centre that is still quite active and "alive".

I like Detroit alot ... I recognize it's monumental contributions to our country and to our way of living ... and these facts are above debate.

Detroit is also beginning to turn around ... maybe in a manner that isn't as visible as Pittsburgh or Cleveland, but it is beginning to experience another period of renewal. "Native Detroiters" that love their city will NEVER give up on it ... much like I will never stop believing in Cleveland!

Old 12-13-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Detroit ( like my beloved Cleveland ) is unfairly maligned, often because the city has experienced "some levels" of a serious decline.
The whole rustbelt is bullied from outside because we have no big media centers that allow self-promotion!
Quote:
Detroit still has incredible wealth, some very affluent and upscale suburbs and a beautiful and historic city centre that is still quite active and "alive".
...And growing. We're in transition. No city is one-dimensional, but some MINDS are!
Quote:
I like Detroit alot ... I recognize it's monumental contributions to our country and to our way of living ... and these facts are above debate.
Correct - more dimensions.

Quote:
"Native Detroiters" that love their city will NEVER give up on it ... much like I will never stop believing in Cleveland!
Yep, the whole area is in transition due to loss of manufacturing, nothing is static.
But like I said to what's-his-post, we're really getting away from the original topic. There are plenty of other threads for bashing the rustbelt cities. This is for people who...well, see the OP!
And contribute!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.