U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 01:33 AM

624 posts, read 1,204,647 times

Advertisements

I know this is going to sound crazy to some of you, but I have a real liking of "rustbelt" cities. I find old rusty wharehouses and brick buildings appealing to the eyes. Does anyone else feel like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 01:34 AM

10,171 posts, read 12,809,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
I find old rusty wharehouses and brick buildings appealing to the eyes. Does anyone else feel like this?
No. (I can only speak for myself)

Old 12-09-2010, 06:28 AM

21,201 posts, read 30,404,475 times
I don't think it's crazy at all. Rust Belt cities to me offer some great opportunity for small businesses and individuals in terms of start-ups and investment. Another perk is that architecturally much of it was never torn down for redevelopment, so you have some great buildings just waiting to be saved. The recent Levi's commercial hopefully inspires others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YyvO...eature=related

Old 12-09-2010, 06:36 AM

23,124 posts, read 35,070,436 times
Quote:
I know this is going to sound crazy to some of you, but I have a real liking of "rustbelt" cities. I find old rusty warehouses and brick buildings appealing to the eyes. Does anyone else feel like this?
Apparently many do, if the rebound of Pittsburgh and Cleveland are any indication. Personally, I can find beauty in about any architectural form.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:27 PM

56,674 posts, read 80,995,527 times
I think I know what you are getting at. There's a grittiness that those cities have that kind of show what it has gone through and how those cities still have great potential.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:32 PM

5,311 posts, read 5,336,704 times
I get what you're saying. However, I think that the architecture is further complimented by the people that live there. The Rust Belt cities have some very tight-knit communities and very down-to-earth people. There's often great European food in those cities, as the Rust Belt was composed of many European immigrants (including many of my family).

Old 12-09-2010, 03:19 PM

1,954 posts, read 4,507,900 times
I grew up in the heart of the rustbelt so I can definitely relate.

I think street scenes like these are cool. I hope that one day buildings like these will get used to their potential again. Imagine the purposes these buildings could serve if the neighborhoods around them are revitalized.

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Old 12-09-2010, 03:22 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,795,932 times
Quote:
I know this is going to sound crazy to some of you, but I have a real liking of "rustbelt" cities. I find old rusty wharehouses and brick buildings appealing to the eyes. Does anyone else feel like this?

Yes, I personally find the old industrial landscapes that are prevalent throughout many parts of Cleveland to be quite alluring ... particularly some of the areas in the industrial flats, where there are old and abandoned factories ... I love walking through these massive structures, it's like a journey back in time to Cleveland's era of industrial fortitude and might.
While touring one such structure, I found an office that still had furnishings ... desks, chairs and file cabinets ... the calendar on the wall was a mute reminder of how long this particular structure had stood vacant ... it was left hanging on the wall, the year permanently left as 1982!

It's probably not wise to enter these abandoned structures for safety reasons, as some have been known to be frequented by "squatters".
This is just one of the many things that I find appealing about Cleveland ... there's such a wealth of interesting history in this city.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:13 PM

285 posts, read 611,105 times
Youngstown, Ohio is probably one of the most proudly gritty cities in the country.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:03 PM

2,786 posts, read 5,680,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YtownGuy View Post
Youngstown, Ohio is probably one of the most proudly gritty cities in the country.
Youngstown is awesome! Such a proud region. Reminds me of its bigger brothers right next store. Pittsburgh and Cleveland. While both cities have transformed their economies and seen a lot of success in new industries, Youngstown is now starting to do a little of their own. I always have a good time in Youngstown. A lot of great people there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or