U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 03:50 AM

5 posts, read 7,629 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

Thanks firstly for stopping by, I have decided that I'm going to move to the states as an owner of a LLC and buy a house and get into the culture, I love the holidays that you have, Halloween (does it matter I'm 25? lol), Thanksgiving, etc... I also can't wait to buy stuff that gets shipped to MY ADDRESS. have a "ZIP CODE", get some Starbucks, do the date in the wrong format, work out celsius vs fahrenheit, drive on the wrong side of the road.. and much more

I'm looking for somewhere that has a great city, although I wouldn't mind living just on the outskirts of the city, or actually the city wouldn't bother me thattttt much...

I currently live in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia... it gets VERY humid here about 80-90% and the temp is around 32 degrees celsius in the summer, I must say, a house with a pool and air conditioning is a must here! Anyways so I'm looking for somewhere that likes Australians, somewhere friendly... low crime.. I really don't wanna get shot on the first day

I've been SERIOUSLY looking at Brooklyn, NY, Chicago IL, and Portland, OR ... I also didn't mind San Diego, CA either...

I really want a white christmas!! I want to get out there and shovel some snow, build a snowman! I guess the main things I'm looking at is...

- State taxes - I want to do some property buying and then rent them out
- LLC state taxes - Again, I want to do some importing and stuff to the states...
I really just want somewhere where housing is affordable, tax is reasonable, cost of living is reasonable, and it snows... Snow isn't the main factor, crime rate, housing, all that is on the top aswell as taxes...

The other thing main factor flooding and tornadoes ... I'd really like to stay away from all that crap too I think I'd s#$% if I saw a tornadoes chasing me down the street

So any advise for this aussie ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 06:10 AM

21,186 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Well, NYC/Brooklyn is very expensive. Portland is very cloudy/rainy and I think would have a negative effect given where your transitioning from (two extremes). San Diego is more similar to where you're from, but very expensive and you'll have to travel for snow. I think of your list you'd find Chicago the most appealing. It's a great city, full of history, lots of things to do, friendly people for the most part I've found, the four seasons of weather you're looking for and a reasonable cost of living compared to other big cities.

One you should also consider is Minneapolis/St Paul which is smaller than Chicago, only 650,000 population versus Chicago's 2.8 million residents. The Twin Cities bear some similarities to Chicago, just on a less intimidating scale. More importantly Minneapolis/St Paul is doing fairly well economically, with an unemployment rate much lower than most cities and well below the national average. It also is quite reasonably priced in terms of housing and taxes. Check it out and good luck!

Minneapolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Saint Paul, Minnesota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-09-2010, 06:54 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,981,759 times
Chicago would be totally out of that list, they are prone to tornadoes. Portland is beautiful, but not really snowy, Brooklyn is very very expensive if you want to buy property. You might like Cleveland or Pittsburgh, they are up to their eyes in snow currently.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:22 AM

21,186 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Chicago would be totally out of that list, they are prone to tornadoes. Portland is beautiful, but not really snowy, Brooklyn is very very expensive if you want to buy property. You might like Cleveland or Pittsburgh, they are up to their eyes in snow currently.
Tornadoes in Chicago? When was that?

Old 12-09-2010, 11:39 AM

56,535 posts, read 80,824,285 times
You might like cities like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Milwaukee, Madison WI and maybe cities with overall below average cost of living like Buffalo or Rochester in NY.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:05 PM

5 posts, read 7,629 times
Thanks for all the feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You might like cities like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Milwaukee, Madison WI and maybe cities with overall below average cost of living like Buffalo or Rochester in NY.
I'll check these out... I've read some bad stuff about Milwaukee... I'll was looking around Cleveland aswell, while it's up there near Chicago... well kind of, lol

Old 12-09-2010, 07:02 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,090,539 times
Might also check out Denver

Denver Colorado Tourist & Vacation Information | VISIT DENVER

:: Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce ::
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or