U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 04:28 PM

4,158 posts, read 4,795,466 times

Advertisements

I know it. It's really kinda sad.

That's why I had hoped to draw attention from all over the Appalachians (Obviously in the form of City-data members) to this thread to discuss it together. But apparently the divides are too deep. ;-;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 04:52 PM

5,112 posts, read 6,908,726 times
I'm from "Appalachia"

Charleston, West BY GOD Virginia!

Old 12-10-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I'm from "Appalachia"

Charleston, West BY GOD Virginia!
That's the ticket!

What do you think of the idea of all Appalachians, north and south, feeling united?

Please, give me your thoughts on the topic.

Your input would be invaluable.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:19 PM

20,923 posts, read 36,173,747 times
I like the idea of the Appalachian region promoting common shared similarities throughout the area. I know having lived in NH, that I would also be quite comfortable living in the southern Appalachians as well. Some of my favorite areas are the highland towns of Boone, Asheville, Greenville, Cookeville, etc.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:26 PM

791 posts, read 2,471,587 times
This nationally-touring Bluegrass Band draws a sold-out crowd whenever they appear in my area. Their song lyrics reflect their heritage in the rural New York Adirondacks logging country by the Saint Lawrence River, and resonate just as well with southerners. Welcome to the Gibson Brothers Web Site

Old 12-10-2010, 06:54 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,211,300 times
CookieSkoon - I absolutely love your idea of a fellowship among the residents of this beautiful region of our country. I spent ten years of my life with someone born and raised in the Binghamton area, and now I am very happy to live in an area just about an hour south of the Appalachians.

What a wonderful idea, imo.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:40 PM

I'm so glad this has gotten some real positive attention!

And thank you John.

I'm really hoping to unite all of us under that great mountain range. I want a person from the hills of North Carolina to feel welcome and at home in the hills as far away as Vermont. Knowing that they may be far from where they came up, but they are still in the Appalachians.

Can you imagine what good could come if we all united as Appalachians? We've spent so long isolated even from each-other. Imagine what it would be like to be able to call all of the mountains home, rather than just a small area.

The sub-cultures would still be different, but we'd all have each-other's backs as hillfolk. I know I'm a big dreamer, but hey, that's what America is for right?

Old 12-10-2010, 08:01 PM

871 posts, read 1,964,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I'm so glad this has gotten some real positive attention!

And thank you John.

I'm really hoping to unite all of us under that great mountain range. I want a person from the hills of North Carolina to feel welcome and at home in the hills as far away as Vermont. Knowing that they may be far from where they came up, but they are still in the Appalachians.

Can you imagine what good could come if we all united as Appalachians? We've spent so long isolated even from each-other. Imagine what it would be like to be able to call all of the mountains home, rather than just a small area.

The sub-cultures would still be different, but we'd all have each-other's backs as hillfolk. I know I'm a big dreamer, but hey, that's what America is for right?
what on earth are you talking about now? are you proposing arranging some type of club for everybody who happens to live in the appalachian physiographic region to get together and hold hands? seriously, what is this? i dont get it.

why should somebody from NC "feel welcome" in VT if they have absolutely no connection to the people there other than living in (what we as humans define) as the same mountain range? this just seems odd. these arent long lost brothers "coming together at last". these are all people with different family histories coming from different places who dont know each other, but simply live in similar topography. this makes no sense to me.

something along the lines of what you are disccussing already exists. its called the Appalachian Regional Commision.

im all for discussing shared cultures and subregions of America, but this whole "having each others back" thing just seems weird and cultish. at least in the way you just phrased it.

2,758 posts, read 4,940,586 times
I lived in East TN for a couple of years some time back (huge culture shock) and there is uniformity between the Northern and Southern Appalachian areas. East TN looks just like Eastern KY, which both are indistinguishable from SW VA and Western NC (I've also seen Appalachian NY & PA). Not the best example but they say "yuns" in East TN which sounds like the Pittsburgh "yinz." There are more Appalachianisms out there besides the obvious stuff but I can't think of it right now. I first heard of Bluegrass when I moved to TN some time ago but those Gibson Brother folks sound like Tennesseans to me (see, another similarity).

22,598 posts, read 12,424,817 times
I love the musical composition by Aaron Copland called "Appalachian Spring"

The main theme was based on an old Shaker folk hymn called "Simple Gifts."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.