U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 08:12 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,732,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
im all for discussing shared cultures and subregions of America, but this whole "having each others back" thing just seems weird and cultish. at least in the way you just phrased it.
It's not suppose to be like that.

No I mean, as it stands if a man from Appalachian Maine were to travel to Appalachian Virginia, he'd be called a Yankee. The kind of viewpoint I propose would be to see each other as fellow Appalachians, rather than northerner, southerner, ETC.

To acknowledge each other, share the pride. Heck, all of America should be that way.

I propose a new outlook. Not a cult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 08:29 PM

871 posts, read 1,956,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
It's not suppose to be like that.

No I mean, as it stands if a man from Appalachian Maine were to travel to Appalachian Virginia, he'd be called a Yankee. The kind of viewpoint I propose would be to see each other as fellow Appalachians, rather than northerner, southerner, ETC.

To acknowledge each other, share the pride. Heck, all of America should be that way.

I propose a new outlook. Not a cult.
basically youd like to see people from northern appalachia not be seen as outsiders in southern WV because they share a similar way of life regarding their shared residences in rugged appalachian terrain. thats fine i suppose. but in reality, there is little to no interection between these people so its really a non-issue. most appalachia folk dont travel very far at all in day to day life and if they do they go to their nearest major city. Vermontians and Tennesseans arent coming into contact with each other regularly anyway.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
basically youd like to see people from northern appalachia not be seen as outsiders in southern WV because they share a similar way of life regarding their shared residences in rugged appalachian terrain. thats fine i suppose. but in reality, there is little to no interection between these people so its really a non-issue. most appalachia folk dont travel very far at all in day to day life and if they do they go to their nearest major city. Vermontians and Tennesseans arent coming into contact with each other regularly anyway.
And the other way around. I wouldn't want a southern Appalachian to feel alienated in the north either.

It's just conversation. I wanted to see how many others felt the same way. A kindred spirit with one another.

You're making me feel kinda bad here.

It's suppose to be cheerful, upbeat... not... well this. You make me seem like some kind of crazy.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:56 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,921,893 times
I get what CookieSkoon is saying (got it the 1st time). Of course there's going to be differences but why the estrangement between the folks, y'all have so much in common. I'm not from the mountains but I see it as one unit.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
And the other way around. I wouldn't want a southern Appalachian to feel alienated in the north either.

It's just conversation. I wanted to see how many others felt the same way. A kindred spirit with one another.

You're making me feel kinda bad here.

It's suppose to be cheerful, upbeat... not... well this. You make me seem like some kind of crazy.
well i dont want anybody to have to feel alienated anywhere. i just dont get the whole "long lost brothers" type of business youre bringing into it.

like i said, discussing appalachia as a cultural region and the commalities people have that go along with living in the same greater physiographic region is all very interesting. i just dont get this whole 'lets all unite together as bretheren because we live in the same mountain range' deal. that seems a little odd. but thats fine. appalachia would hardly be the first region to do that, although i think No. and So. appalachia are much more culturally divided than say, New England. but by all means, feel free. although i dont get why my voice of dissent is such a let down to you.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
I get what CookieSkoon is saying (got it the 1st time). Of course there's going to be differences but why the estrangement between the folks, y'all have so much in common. I'm not from the mountains but I see it as one unit.
Thank you.

To JJW:

Well, I was let down because you called my hopeful ideals cultist. XD

As far as that sort of unity, it worked for Scotland and Japan's highlands (Admittedly bloody in Japan. But eventual).

Why is it so odd? Are we as a nation so divided that it really seems so alien a concept?

Long lost brother is way off track. Kindred spirit is more like it.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Thank you.

To JJW:

Well, I was let down because you called my hopeful ideals cultist. XD

As far as that sort of unity, it worked for Scotland and Japan's highlands (Admittedly bloody in Japan. But eventual).

Why is it so odd? Are we as a nation so divided that it really seems so alien a concept?

Long lost brother is way off track. Kindred spirit is more like it.
well thats kind of my point. what are these hopeful ideals? if there was constant violence between these two groups then id agree. but otherwise. i dont get it.

and 'long lost brother', 'kindred spirit'. thats basically the same concept. the idea is "we werent raised together but we are brothers in our spirits, way of life, etc.". its the same thing.

like i said. i think talking about what the different subregions of appalachia have in common is very interesting, and certainly worthy of discussion. if thats what you want to do then by all means go ahead. but when you start talking about "all the good it would do" with a "united appalachian brotherhood", thats the part that sounds off. what good would it do? i dont get that.

but if you simply want to discuss the similarities between northern and southern appalachia then by all means do so. thats perfectly deserving of discussion.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
well thats kind of my point. what are these hopeful ideals? if there was constant violence between these two groups then id agree. but otherwise. i dont get it.

and 'long lost brother', 'kindred spirit'. thats basically the same concept. the idea is "we werent raised together but we are brothers in our spirits, way of life, etc.". its the same thing.

like i said. i think talking about what the different subregions of appalachia have in common is very interesting, and certainly worthy of discussion. if thats what you want to do then by all means go ahead. but when you start talking about "all the good it would do" with a "united appalachian brotherhood", thats the part that sounds off. what good would it do? i dont get that.

but if you simply want to discuss the similarities between northern and southern appalachia then by all means do so. thats perfectly deserving of discussion.

I see what you're getting at.

I worded it a bit passionately. Me, I feel we do share a kindred spirit. I honestly do.

And of course I'd love to talk about the similarities.

As far as what good it would do? Well... I'll say that part is probably just in my head.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I see what you're getting at.

I worded it a bit passionately. Me, I feel we do share a kindred spirit. I honestly do.

And of course I'd love to talk about the similarities.

As far as what good it would do? Well... I'll say that part is probably just in my head.
ok, as far as similarities. i think the biggest would be land use. the appalachian chain is an area in which even medium scale farming is impossible. the entire region shares this characteristic. youve got people generally settling along river beds and in hollers. generally income comes from coal mining and other natural recource extraction.

it seems to be the northern and southern appalachia differ in ethnic and cultural tradtions, but certainly share a similar way of life.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:41 PM

964 posts, read 2,046,048 times
Quote:
I know an old couple from eastern Kentucky who now live somewhere near Canisteo NY. They love it up there, though they have noted the differences. We all call them Ma and Pa. Really friendly people. I was so happy that they liked it there. I asked them once if the hills reminded them of Kentucky. The answer was, "Yes but there s'much snow!"

Did you ever live in the hills?
I grew up in Charlotte. I went to college in Boone, NC, and ended up working there for years afterwards.

For anyone who isn't familiar, Boone is the highest-elevation town with a population over 10,000 east of the Rocky Mountain front - it's in Watauga County, NC, wedged between the Blue Ridge and the Tennessee state line. The average year round temperatures are the precise equal of those in Portsmouth, NH (or Concord - one or the other!); the elevation is around 3350 above sea level. Doc Watson lived about 10 miles outside of town, and you'd see him in town on occasion - I had an old boss who used to have front-porch bluegrass jam sessions with several local musicians (a lawyer, a mailman, a record store owner, and a couple of Doc's backup musicians), and had the fortune of meeting him on one occasion, talking music for a while.

I was one of the few black folks around, which was a brief concern at the beginning. And I wondered about the winters - I have seen snowdrifts to the 2nd floor of a house in North Carolina!

Well, it became a second hometown. Just awesome. The accent and overriding culture is far different from what you hear in the lowland South, and though Boone is a university town (and thus a bit left-of-center), over 12 years I explored a lot of western NC, NE Tennessee, SW Virginia, and parts of West Virginia, and it's great country.

There are serious economic issues in pretty much any place that doesn't have tourists or a university, and so driving around you'd see some really severe economic divisions. 20 miles WSW of Boone, in Avery County, the towns of Linville and Crossnore sit about 5 miles apart, the former has been (on and off) the wealthiest town in the state, while the latter is one of the poorest. I don't know if I see this kinda thing being resolved anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.